Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2015, 13:24   #46

Re: Getting rid of alcohol stove

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
A slow cooker is fine for certain things (slow cooking), but it's pretty much a single function appliance and hard to justify on a small boat. You can cook stew in a pot or pressure cooker (which doubles as a pot) on your propane or alcohol range, but you can't fry a steak in a slow cooker.
That's what Magma grills are for. I've yet to see a boat, even a derelict one, without some sort of a grill.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:34   #47

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
That's what Magma grills are for. I've yet to see a boat, even a derelict one, without some sort of a grill.
What is it is raining. I think you solve his quandary. I hate those alcohol beasts.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:36   #48

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
You can't cook beans on a grill, they fall through the grate.
Old 13-03-2015, 13:38   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
All risk assessment involves two factors : probability, and severity of outcome. Having your boat explode due to a propane leak or burn to the water might not be very probable, but they are very severe. It's the potential 6 month stay in a burns unit that makes me careful.
Okay, but in your risk assessment analogy (just so happens I'm familiar with risk assessments) let's say the probability was a 1, severity was a 3, giving me a final rating of 3.

Falling off the boat while trying to dock single handed at 3 am in a thunderstorm was a probability 3, severity 3, overall rating of 9.

Using a toaster oven just isn't that high on your list of concerns when baching it alone on a small boat on an island.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:39   #50

Hi,ive have just refurbed a fairline sedan and fitted a new origo 4000 two hob.
Using the boat for next year or so to cruise europe and alchol is safe if used as instructed and stores better than gas.
We been using every day since december 14 and have had no issues and would fit again.
We got microwave off inverter which on battery bank is ok.

Sent from my HTC One S using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wmcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 13:39   #51

Quote:
I was going to invite you to look at mine until I realized that the broiler is pretty much a grill turned upside down.
Old 13-03-2015, 13:41   #52

Quote:
You can't cook beans on a grill, they fall through the grate.
You can cook pretty much anything on the grill provided you have proper pots and pans.

Besides beans on board are dangerous. Think of the potential for explosions. And your gas sniffer will be working overtime.
Old 13-03-2015, 13:46   #53

Quote:
You can cook pretty much anything on the grill provided you have proper pots and pans. .
Yes you can. Where it becomes inconvenient is having to set it up and worrying about the wind or trying to cook on a grill in the rain. And the little canisters and finding a safe place to store them. My wife treats the propane range just like the one at home except for the part about turning the propane on and off. And lighting it because the electric lighter doesn't work anymore.
Old 13-03-2015, 13:48   #54

Quote:
I was going to invite you to look at mine until I realized that the broiler is pretty much a grill turned upside down.
Having done probably hundreds of turkish coffee pots on my grill I can attest that it is also a coffeemaker as well.
Old 13-03-2015, 13:49   #55

Quote:
You can cook pretty much anything on the grill provided you have proper pots and pans.

Besides beans on board are dangerous. Think of the potential for explosions. And your gas sniffer will be working overtime.
Capture the methane and use it to cook beans tomorrow.

I hope no one is taking this thread serious?
Old 13-03-2015, 13:54   #56

Quote:
Yes you can. Where it becomes inconvenient is having to set it up and worrying about the wind or trying to cook on a grill in the rain. And the little canisters and finding a safe place to store them. My wife treats the propane range just like the one at home except for the part about turning the propane on and off. And lighting it because the electric lighter doesn't work anymore.
On windy and/or rainy days, if at anchor or on the mooring, I put up my bimini and dodger, transfer the grill to the top of the Edson piedestal arch and it works there fine. Or I place my camp stove on the cockpit table. If its' really windy and choppy then may be I stick to cold cuts, salads and beer.
Old 13-03-2015, 13:55   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Capture the methane and use it to cook beans tomorrow.

I hope no one is taking this thread serious?
Why, this is a very serious subject. Save the planet - capture your own methane.
Old 13-03-2015, 13:57   #58

As far as using a Grill in the wind I can recommend a Dickinson SeaBQue. Excellent units in the wind, open they don't blow out because of a cool grill top system and closed in the wind they are hot. Very nice unit.
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2015, 14:20   #59

Quote:
On windy and/or rainy days, if at anchor or on the mooring, I put up my bimini and dodger, transfer the grill to the top of the Edson piedestal arch and it works there fine. Or I place my camp stove on the cockpit table. If its' really windy and choppy then may be I stick to cold cuts, salads and beer.
Forget the cold cuts and salad. Stick with the liquid carbohydrates.
Old 13-03-2015, 14:32   #60
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
There's a Taylors on my latest boat.. its going for sure.. I'll use a single burner propane cartridge stove for the delivery from Malta back home to the W coast of Portugal where I'll replace it with a 2 burner, grill and oven gas cooker.. also pipe in a Force 10 bulkhead mounted gas heater.. total cost roughly 1200euros, labours free..
I can't afford my rates..
So.. anyone this side of the Pond who would like to buy a used Taylors 2 burner cooker.. gimme a shout..
PS: don't think the PO realised he'd polished up the stove too well..

Hey Boatie, is your Talyors a pressurized kero (paraffin) cooker or a pressurized alcohol cooker.

If it's a kero unit and you can't move it on, part it out and I will relieve you of the burners for small reward .

Always good to have a spare burner (or two) for my kero cooker; BTW, IMHO are the best for many reasons but yes, they do take a special kind of discipline to use properly but then fine cooking also takes good discipline. I grant that cooking any old food is discipline free!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote