Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 00:29   #1

Boat: 2008 Hanse 540e
Fresh Air

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum, but it seems newer boats (like mine) lack good ventilation, especially offshore or in foul weather.

I'm looking for ideas that can be easily retrofit onto my Hanse to keep the air fresh below without the need for a towel...

It seems the little solar powered fan assisted mushroom don't move enough air and putting in dorade vents may be too ambitious. Ideas?
Old 12-09-2011, 03:25   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Fresh air

I don't know if my 10-year old boat is "modern" or not, but she has reasonably good ventilation -- six big dorades. In cold weather I have to stuff rags in them.

There are not really many options -- hatches and dorades. My boat, sadly, lacks the opening forward-facing saloon windows of the Oyster I almost bought before finding my present boat. Now THAT'S ventilation when you need it.

You might consider rigging wind scoops. These are generally for use at anchor, but you might make some which are shorter for use underway. The challenge will be to avoid interfering with the rigging.

If you don't have dorades, I would seriously consider retrofitting them. Without dorades, you won't have much, if any, ventilation though the boat when you're not on board and the hatches are locked down. That seems to me like a sure recipe for mould, mustiness, mildew, and stink.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:09   #3

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Fresh air

I think underway only well designed and well sized dorades work. In bad weather while in marina probably just use a nice tent over the top hatches and you should be fine.

PS Alternatively, you can lock the hatches and use the air-con

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:49   #4
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various
Re: Fresh Air

Design your own wind scoop for optimum effectiveness and use/storage. Then have a sailmaker sew it up. We once had one on a wood frame that folded flat for storage. The canvas slipped over it and had 4 zippered windows that could be opened fore, aft, port or starboard depending on the wind direction in the marina. Much more convenient in switchy winds than constantly re-tying our wind sail. It was also fairly rainproof when zipped up but not suitable for underway.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:56   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Fresh Air

while underway i try to keep open the companionway doors-- water doesnt come in over my transom, but will break over my boat's waist, so that is not a problem. ventilation while underway indeed is a problem even with older boats and huge cowl vents on dorade boxes.
i will keep slider and doors open until seas reach a size too great to consider doing this safely.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote