Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 18:59   #76

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Recycle plastic bottles into 3d printer filament:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...filament-maker
jongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 19:12   #77
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Do You Dump Your Trash Over Board?

Could always get creative...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 20:30   #78

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
No. To be frank, I am outta here because I see no point in debating the value of conservation with a dude from Connecticut who choses to export his toxic boat work to a third world country with weak environmental and worker protection to save a couple of bucks. Seems like a waste of time, no?
Delalncey,

Please, stop writing in this vein. This is one of the most toxic posts I've ever read. It is against CF rules to make ad hominem attacks. We all agree to "be nice." No special rules for one individual.

It is, perhaps, morally questionable to set yourself figuratively as judge and jury. Your method of argument does your actual argument no good whatsoever, IMO.

It's a shame, because you are turning people off where you might be consciousness raising.

Ann
Old 05-07-2014, 21:01   #79
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Trash talking often brings out the worst in some people Ann, despite their intentions
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 22:07   #80
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
No. To be frank, I am outta here because I see no point in debating the value of conservation with a dude from Connecticut who choses to export his toxic boat work to a third world country with weak environmental and worker protection to save a couple of bucks. Seems like a waste of time, no?
Actually, a typical cruiser or tourist of any sort would be bringing a positive financial impact into a third world country, by purchasing products, services etc from the local people. Which in turn produce much needed jobs.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 22:23   #81

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

The most important consideration is to reduce the amount of waste you produce. I make 2-3 garbage bags per year, but I am trying to get down to less than 1. This is nearly all plastic packaging which is difficult to avoid.

Throwing food scraps and even pissing over the side is a huge waste. I use these when possible to fertilize plants instead. It is a good deed to dilute it with mostly water and water plants you find especially ones with nitrogen deficiencies. Don't use stale piss, and please don't do this if you were drunk because this spoils the piss. Stools can even be burned as solid fuel once the water content is removed.

Throwing bottles or cans is wasteful compared to recycling them, but who wants to carry them for years until they reach a place that can?

I think putting your garbage in a pile with everyone else's is better than spreading it around, because it will make it much easier to deal with in the future if they decide to recycle it.

Do you pull plastic out of the water you see and burn/dispose of it, or leave it?
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 23:23   #82

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

I agree that avoiding creating waste in the first place is ideal.
Move stuff from packaging into permanent containers and give the store back their packaging.
Use a keg instead of beer cans and bottles.
Old 05-07-2014, 23:30   #83
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
..... Don't use stale piss, and please don't do this if you were drunk because this spoils the piss.

Stools can even be burned as solid fuel once the water content is removed.
Then of course a Solyent Green recycle solution becomes the next logical step in an eco-sailor's civic responsibility.

Maybe it is just me.... But I did not sign on to solve the world's addiction to the copious consumption of the latest consumer junk while ignoring their individual contribution to overpopulation.
Old 06-07-2014, 00:45   #84
cruiser

Yes, these sorts of discussions usually tend to bring out the OCD crowd in mass.

I'd like to make a point:
The average dinosaur farted, crapped, deforested and polluted more in a day than I do in years, and yet, here we find ourselves 60 million years later.... and still the planet is looking pretty good despite their irresponsible behavior.

Please stop being so judgmental of others who really are doing their best to protect the environment, as evident by the cruising lifestyle we choose... we're the good guys! Go pick on the bad guys over in the turd world who are doing most of the type of polluting that seems to be of concern... just chuckin' trash.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:34   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'd like to make a point:
The average dinosaur farted, crapped, deforested and polluted more in a day than I do in
We are considering plastic trash. Anything a dinosaur did is not considered pollution if you did it today.
Quote:
... Go pick on the bad guys over in the turd world who are doing most of the type of polluting that seems to be of concern... just chuckin' trash.
So it's ok to chuck any kind of trash since someone somewhere else is getting away with something worse?
Old 06-07-2014, 02:39   #86
CF Adviser

I have heard no one here support the throwing of plastics overboard but saving rotting food waste is silly.

There are a lot of evils in this world and I don't consider pissing over the side one of them.

You should watch this video to keep things in perspective as to how humans treat others as Trash and we consumers support it.

http://gcaptain.com/guardian-investi...Captain.com%29
Old 06-07-2014, 02:55   #87
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

It seems a bit rough to blame 3rd world countries when most of the trash comes from outside.
"The UK generates almost 2 million tons of electronic waste. Disposing of this in America and Europe costs money, so many companies sell it to middle merchants, who promise the computers can be reused in Africa, China and India. Each month about 500 container loads, containing about 400,000 unwanted computers, arrive in Nigeria to be processed. But 75 per cent of units shipped to Nigeria cannot be resold. So they sit on landfills, and children scrabble barefoot, looking for scraps of copper wire or nails. And every so often, the plastics are burnt, sending fumes up into the air."
Toxic shock: How Western rubbish is destroying Africa - Africa - World - The Independent

Not trying to be too political but there is a big picture worth considering

As far as the earth being in good shape? Id suggest anyone with a few minutes to spare check out the documentary 'Home' and then make their own conclusions.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 03:38   #88
CF Adviser

I wish education and awareness was the solution but we humans tend to have a selective memory when it comes to dealing with unsavory truths.

Commitment happens only when it becomes personal yet when I see Discovery Channel romanticising clear cut minning in search of the Holy Gold.... I take a more fatalistic approach and resent anyone lecturing me on my own environmental profile
Old 06-07-2014, 03:54   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I have heard no one here support the throwing of plastics overboard but saving rotting food waste is silly.
I saved some of my rotting food waste in a bucket.

I am now growing a pumpkin in this bucket. How is this silly?
Quote:
There are a lot of evils in this world and I don't consider pissing over the side one of them.
I don't consider it evil, at least not with everything else at play. The piss gets recycled either way, it is just a question of efficiency. If you distribute the urine to a plant which needs a bit of nitrogen, the efficiency (plant growth and production) vs energy inputs is much higher. This results in a world with more living matter sooner which is a better world.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:09   #90
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
The most important consideration is to reduce the amount of waste you produce. [ed]

Throwing food scraps and even pissing over the side is a huge waste. I use these when possible to fertilize plants instead. It is a good deed to dilute it with mostly water and water plants you find especially ones with nitrogen deficiencies. Don't use stale piss, and please don't do this if you were drunk because this spoils the piss. Stools can even be burned as solid fuel once the water content is removed.
O M G