Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2013, 18:14   #46

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
Re: Dispatching Fish with Alcohol

No blood? You must not have a very sharp knife!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 18:18   #47

The blood really flys on a tuna boat!!!
You might notice that most of the old time tuna boats and salmon trollers have red bottom paint and red boot stripes clear up to the rails around the aft end of their boats. There is a reason for this!!
Old 19-06-2013, 17:00   #48

Boat: Pearson 34-II

There are none of my friends that would categorize me as a passive person, quite the opposite, but being an ardent and successful hunter and fisherman my entire life I believe in a respectful death to the prey species whether finned, feathered or horned. A quick dispatch and a proper cleaning is my method. No histrionics or brutish butchery. A shot of alcohol to the gills and a sudden death ensues. The way you kill prey says much about who you are as a person. Good luck and good fishing!
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 17:23   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dispatching Fish with Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
There are none of my friends that would categorize me as a passive person, quite the opposite, but being an ardent and successful hunter and fisherman my entire life I believe in a respectful death to the prey species whether finned, feathered or horned. A quick dispatch and a proper cleaning is my method. No histrionics or brutish butchery. A shot of alcohol to the gills and a sudden death ensues. The way you kill prey says much about who you are as a person. Good luck and good fishing!
That's modern man for you... the only thing respected is belly and wallet.. the old ways are no more..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 18:07   #50
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

My method is far more humane. I toss out a couple of cedar plugs, tow them behind for however many days it takes to make landfall, then reel in the line without ever harming a fish. Then I drink what's left of the rum.

Face it: if you're catching fish, you're probably sailing too slow.
Old 19-06-2013, 18:10   #51

For 25 years I sold fish that you people eat and I can guarantee you NO ONE in the commercial fishing industry ever dispatched his fish with alcohol!
This method is fine for you week end warriors but it doesn't work in the real world! ROFLMAO!!!
Old 19-06-2013, 18:22   #52

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
A quick dispatch and a proper cleaning is my method. No histrionics or brutish butchery. A shot of alcohol to the gills and a sudden death ensues. The way you kill prey says much about who you are as a person.

It sure does. Quick dispatch and a proper cleaning is all that's required, Rog. The rest of your comment about brutish butchery, etc, is trollish and combative, Sir.

I've covered it in a chapter of my recent book, the Wussification of the Modern Motorsailor.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 18:33   #53

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
For 25 years I sold fish that you people eat and I can guarantee you NO ONE in the commercial fishing industry ever dispatched his fish with alcohol!
This method is fine for you week end warriors but it doesn't work in the real world! ROFLMAO!!!
When watcching me dispatch his first fish my little boy said at age 4: "We all have to die at some time. But try to be nice!"

Alcohol is fine for me and the fish. I don't care if it lasts longer when treated differently, we only fish for sizes that we can eat instantly.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 20:03   #54

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Don't sweat them guey.they will never understand ! These are the same type of folks who lasted 3 days incountry! We know how to prepare fish to eat an preserve, but if they want to use alcohol, so let them! alcohol seems to be the answer to a lot of things to some of these Cruisers LOL
Old 19-06-2013, 21:09   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

A few posts have been deleted and one edited.
Please try and keep your comments civil. No need for male versions of fish fights guys

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 21:45   #56
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

jd-
Alcohol in the gills is for folks who want to be vegetarians but aren't brave enough to make that committment.
When I spearfish I go for a head/spine shot to kill the fish instantly, which makes for a much harder shot and a much better chance of missing. Fish on a hook? Take a meat cleaver and play Marie Antoinette with the fish, one good whack to sever the spine near the brain. That's supposed to be faster and less painful than pouring burning toxic alcohol into their "lungs" and waiting for them to die from it.
No cleaver on board? Use a sharp knife, aim for the spine at the base of the brain.

Perhaps there is something to be said for karma and vegans.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 09:38   #57

:QUOTE=bobconnie;1265207]Don't sweat them guey.they will never understand ! These are the same type of folks who lasted 3 days incountry! We know how to prepare fish to eat an preserve, but if they want to use alcohol, so let them! alcohol seems to be the answer to a lot of things to some of these Cruisers LOL[/QUOT
Yeah Bob & Connie!
Like I said the other day, I'm ROFLMAO!!!

Old 20-06-2013, 09:57   #58
Armchair Bucketeer

Me does not fish anymore, can eat it but prefer other food. Never seen the point of killing things for fun. Things that p#ss yer off (or are just inconvenient) is another matter.

But back as a kid would simply dump the mackerel into a bucket and put an old wet towel over the top of the bucket. They would flap about a bit, but soon go quiet. My guess is that the flapping around was due to lying on a bed of corpses and suffocating.......
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 10:02   #59
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Don't sweat them guey.they will never understand ! These are the same type of folks who lasted 3 days incountry! We know how to prepare fish to eat an preserve, but if they want to use alcohol, so let them! alcohol seems to be the answer to a lot of things to some of these Cruisers LOL
ROFLMAO.... don't eat fish so personally don't give a toss... but I'll take your up country challenge... all I need for the 1st week is a broadsheet newspaper and a 1/2 pint of boiled rice...
Be roasting wild fowl the next day..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 11:03   #60
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Not sure how many deer you guy's have killed but there is not that much blood flying around. It is actually a pretty clean operation.

You aren't doing it right then. The correct way is to hide up in a tree and wait for the deer to pass below you, then drop down onto its' back wrapping your wraps around its' neck (hold on as they don't normally like this and they just start bucking and running around), then you rip its' throat out with your teeth! This allows the deer to bleed out fast as their hearts are beating fast from trying to get you off them.

This is the time honored method developed by our forefathers. But as we evoluted the do goodies got into the act and you had to start acting civilized and throw a pointed stick at them, then arrows came around giving way to bullets. Now we have gotten so far from the correct method that we just walk down the aisle and pick up the part we want out of the cooler.

This is why meat is now bad for us.

Tags
fish