Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2016, 10:26   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Cookware - how much is too much?

Im looking at cookware for our galley and I would love to add a pot to go with my pressure cooker and skillet (s).

To me the ideal would be a couple of nesting pots. But the sets out there are too big or have the wrong stuff. Trust me...I dont need another skillet (bf has 5 he wont part with)

Does anyone know where I can get open stock stackables? Really I just want a couple of good deep pots in smaller sizes.

Stacking would make it easier to accomodate bfs skillets! (hell come around im sure)
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 10:43   #2

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'
Re: Cookware - how much is too much?

I carried a pretty full set of Calphlon...35 pieces...a friend gave me the Magma nesting set for a present. Not a true skillet in it...I have lots more storage...I have to get the whole nest out everytime I need anything...band it up or leave it out until washed and dried...not near as handy as one would think...I miss my stockpot too! The Magma is nice cookware and the removable handles are nice. I think I would recommend just getting the pots you love and dealing with storage...

Sent from my LGMS323 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 11:15   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

We do not have nesting pots but our regular pots are all different size and so the 'nest' of sorts.

We have, I think, four pots right now and two frying pans. Then two baking pans, two teapots, etc. Maybe 10 pieces altogether. Neither too much nor too few.

Pots are a minor problem in storage as you can fill them up with other stuff when you do not use them - so the actual extra space they take up is next to nill.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 11:24   #4

Your marine stove is small. You definitely don't need more than one skillet. Then probably a pot or two. Pare it down. That's the conclusion I came to on 44, 47 ft boats.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 14:56   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

In the sixteen years I have been living aboard many cooking implements have migrated through the boat. The survivors are:

A wok (good for deep frying)

A large frying pan (not Teflon)

A medium sized saucepan with stackable steamer and lid.

A large two handled pot for stews, chilli con carne etc.

A quiet large boiler pot with lid for boiling crabs and making large batches of stews, soups etc.

A pressure cooker which I mainly use to preserve single meals, meat and vegetables.

I tend to apply a use-or-go rule, if I have not used it in about 12 months it goes.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 14:58   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sea Dreaming,

It will depend entirely upon what kind of cooking you like to do. Generally speaking, smaller diameter pots share marine stove room best. Also, deeper flanges on the lids helps keep them from spilling in a very lumpy seaway; that seaway is where your pressure cooker excels, screwed down, the lid won't jump off.

Jim likes to cook in a giant wok, and it is really hard to fit both the wok and the rice pot on our marine stove, a 4 burner.

If you plan to be well away from "civilization", and you are a bread eater, you will want loaf pans, and whatever else you need for what you like to bake.

If you want to cook meals and include friends from other boats, you need larger sizes, but everywhere we've been, pots and pans are sold; and baking sheets and tins, as well. So take what you want for now, and buy new (and they're souvenirs, too) when and where needed. You have a future when you're out cruising, things can be added all along.

Ann
Old 16-06-2016, 17:15   #7

Good question and depends on multiple things...

What sort of things do you like to cook?
How big is your stove and stowage for cookware?
Do you have access to all the ingredients for "advanced" cooking?

We have:

small cast iron skillet... perfect for a couple of sunny side up eggs
large deep frying pan w/ lid (sauces)
saucepan w/ lid (fits small cast iron skillet).... ramen, rice and soup etc.
large deep pan to boil pasta etc. w. removable grating and lid

3 burner stove... which can get crowded. This suffices for the complexity of our cooking... and it all tastes better at sea!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 17:55   #8

Our cookware is simple. 1 set of three Griswold cast iron skillets, one cast iron griddle that fits neatly across to burners on our three burner stove, and three Dominican "Calderas". The shape of the Calderas and the height of the sides are perfect. The three fit into each other, two lids inside and the large one on top. Nice and neat for storage. I had a wok but dumped it when I got married and was introduced to Dominican cooking styles. (Dominican wife).. Also, everything works well in the oven which is a plus.

I'm also a firm believer in the 12 month rule.. No reason to stow what you don't use..
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 08:46   #9

Boat: Outbound 46

We basically have the same pots/pans collection on the boat that we have on land. #1 is the pressure cooker. Saves fuel and heat in the cabin for many, many dishes. It's also a good size for making pasta. We have a couple of sizes of sauce pans, and two non-stick frying pans. We have room for a big soup pot, and use that more often than I would have predicted. We also get a lot of use out of our Magma grill, which doesn't need pots at all.

Room on the stove is definitely an issue, and a heavily-loaded pressure cooker can certainly create some challenges on a gimballed stove. But you learn to manage.

David
s/v Callisto
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 08:55   #10

Boat: Morgan 383, C&C 34, Kirby 25

I love my Magma nesting set. I leave the frying pan and the large pot nested but keep the smaller pots, universal lid and handles out as I use them almost every day and I agree nesting everything every time is a PIA. Handles are in a hand held radio pocket (like a winch handle pocket but smaller) mounted inside the lid of my storage compartment. In addition I have a Teflon wok which is great for frying most everything for 2 people.
One item that I absolutely love is my silicone muffin and cake pans. Need no oil or liners and biscuits and muffins pop right out with nothing sticking. Cleanup us a breeze.
Cake pans go in the oven when we use foil pans to catch spills, again easy cleanup.
Don't have a pressure cooker yet but it is next on the list. I'm hoping it can double as a stock pot for boiling lobster though prefer to grill that.
When buying cookware buy good stainless as it lasts and lasts. I like the Magma set as it has heavy bottoms and even heating with no hotspots on a propane stove. Silicone utensils as well.
Also great at is a good set of nesting plastic bowls with lids. These stow easily and making a salad is a breeze. Just add everything, and dressing, snap on the lid, give it a good shake and you're done. Nothing flying around when you toss. Also great for tossing pasta and sauce. Fab for happy hour, taking your chips to another boat. No crush risk when it's in the dinghy and a serving bowl as well. Snap the lid on to take stuff back home.
wolfesmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 09:36   #11

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
Our cookware is simple. 1 set of three Griswold cast iron skillets, one cast iron griddle that fits neatly across to burners on our three burner stove, and three Dominican "Calderas". The shape of the Calderas and the height of the sides are perfect. The three fit into each other, two lids inside and the large one on top. Nice and neat for storage. I had a wok but dumped it when I got married and was introduced to Dominican cooking styles. (Dominican wife).. Also, everything works well in the oven which is a plus.

I'm also a firm believer in the 12 month rule.. No reason to stow what you don't use..
What are Dominican "Calderas". I just googled it and saw a system of cooking for hikers/campers with it's own fuel canister/heat source at the bottom. Doesn't sound like what you are talking about, but I could be wrong (imagine that?) I'm always looking for something that works and your endorsement interests me. Will you explain or send a link? Thanks.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 09:51   #12

Boat: 1974 Pearson 39 Yawl

Redhead, Your search was better than my first. I found nothing but the crater at the top of volcanoes. I did keep looking though and added "cooking pots" to my caldera search. Then I got the smaller(?) soup pot I think they were talking about.
Capt_Flrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 10:12   #13

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

The best pot I've found besides the pc is a 4th burner pot by Kuhn Rikon (sp). I use it to steam veggies, cook oatmeal and boil eggs, I'am sure it will do other things I haven't tried yet.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1466183542.675827.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	126326

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 10:14   #14

Thanks for the comments. This definately helps me focus my thinking around how I really cook.

The caldero, it turns out is similar to a dutch oven. Its a great suggestion for the way I cook too.

Ive narrowed down my cookware to: pressure cooker, griddle / grill., the kuhn rikon multi pot, tea kettle and Jim s skillets. I might add a caldero too at some point. This is, if I can convince Jim to get rid of 3-4 skillets!
Old 17-06-2016, 10:16   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
The best pot I've found besides the pc is a 4th burner pot by Kuhn Rikon (sp). I use it to steam veggies, cook oatmeal and boil eggs, I'am sure it will do other things I haven't tried yet.Attachment 126326

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cross posted! This pot has been on my list for a while. Very versitile.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote