Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 09:45   #16

Re: Yacht rolled onto her side

These conditions can occur on the Atlantic side of the Bahamas.

Got through one under full sail and full power into Little Harbour inlet
in my old OI 416. SURFING! Scarry. Lots of early helm correction.
However, I was very familiar with this inlet.

The seas developed over the length of the day sailing up from Eleuthera. The boats that went through the inlet north of Lynyard Key were pooped but safe.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:09   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I remember seeing that one a couple years ago. Hard to figure what he is doing, evidently shallow? Then he is over near the rocks/breakwater or something...
Its the narrow entrance to the Ala Wai. When there is a southern swell, the waves funnel into the area from Diamond Head down to the airport. Can really build up as the ocean goes from about a mile deep to 20 feet deep within about a two mile range. Good if your a surfer, not so good if you are trying to enter or leave the harbor.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:18   #18

Boat: Vivacity 20

Quite typical conditions here in the Bay of Biscay for autumn/winter... Not a sailboat, but this one has also got a bouncy ride...

Bertie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 12:15   #19

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Done quite a few similar entries (not in such conditions!), very common in both France and W coast of Europe. The waves get funneled in and as it shallows, quickly break. I suspect the problem was that, from seaward the skipper would not be able to see the breakers so underestimated conditions. From the back those waves would look quite smooth until to late. A VHF call to the port is the bast bet if in any doubt but usually there are signals indicating port closed to small craft when there is a dangerous break.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 14:15   #20

Always dreaded crossing the Bay of Biscay. Can get quite nasty. We sometimes went way out into the Atlantic to avoid it. Better in deep ocean. Otoh, some great villages along the Bay's coast, not to mention the food.
Old 01-02-2016, 16:04   #21

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post
Can anyone see what their mistake was. Besides obviously, coming in at the wrong time? Maybe a little throttle would have helped or too much weight in the lazerette?The wave doesn't look that big.
Did you watch the same video
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 16:51   #22
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

How it's done on a catamaran.
http://youtu.be/qp9WvZzxdR8
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 17:18   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
It is on the Southwest coast of France. The event was discussed ad nauseam hereabouts a few years ago.
Yes, discussed for weeks & hundreds of posts. I believe it is San Juan De La Arena in Spain.

The sailboat could not return for the crew because they were washed into shallows over rocks. You see the skipper turn around once at sea looking for opportunity. I have looked many times for 'the big one' behind them at sea but nothing obvious. We could only wonder why the people were on deck & casual. It must not have appeared so bad.

There are other port options not far East that look easier.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 17:23   #24

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
It is on the Southwest coast of France. The event was discussed ad nauseam hereabouts a few years ago.
Yes, some years ago but if I am not mistaken not in France but in Spain, Basque country.

Stupid move and a lot of luck. The boat, a Bavaria 38 showed a notable final stability and snapped back quickly after being capsized well over 100º. That's why it is always good to have boats with an AVS over 120º. Many, even RCD approved, have considerably less than that.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 17:53   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Did you watch the same video
Evidently he did not. Probably three to five tons of water went over that boat. Folks tend to forget how heavy water is, and when its moving, the massive force it applies to whatever it hits. Not sure that boat could have done much given its circumstances.
Old 01-02-2016, 18:13   #26

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

I still don't think the wave was that big. I see now the open transom. I agree with Zulu, the beam to surf and the open transom were big problems . I asked about weight in the stern because I think It should have had more lift. Instead it looks like the wave just pushed her over.
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 18:20   #27

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
I still don't think the wave was that big. I see now the open transom. I agree with Zulu, the beam to surf and the open transom were big problems . I asked about weight in the stern because I think It should have had more lift. Instead it looks like the wave just pushed her over.
I wouldn't agree he had beam to surf. The wave pushed him around from what I can see and then knocked him over.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 18:23   #28

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

You also forget that foaming whitewater is far less dense than un aerated water, in essence you can sink a ship by doing nothing other than making a lot if bubbles under it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 18:49   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I wouldn't agree he had beam to surf. The wave pushed him around from what I can see and then knocked him over.
thats one reason I cited 'was the prop damaged' as it had little way on. However at one point there were ppl aboard trailing legs over the side, Im pretty sure there are things that can be done to take the 'this is a fairground ride' mentality out of it, coolly and calmly.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:28   #30

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Done quite a few similar entries (not in such conditions!), very common in both France and W coast of Europe. The waves get funneled in and as it shallows, quickly break. ....
On those conditions sometimes you have luck, others not. Kind of playing Russian roulette: After all you have 5 chances out of 6 that everything goes well

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht