Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 16:03   #46
abh

Re: Three Canadian Sailors Rescued off Hawai

So exactly how pretty must a boat be to cross oceans?
abh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 16:13   #47
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Three Canadian Sailors Rescued off Hawai

Do my eyes decieve me.. or is that a Coronado 35...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 16:21   #48
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Three Canadian Sailors Rescued off Hawai

On second look maybe not... unless someone customised the aft cabin

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 16:39   #49

Boat: Sceptre 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Where did you get that. They had a flashlight and 2 forehead lights one of which failed. Sounded like the ship was throwing over life rings with strobes. Great interview. Wonder had they waited would it have been better though. That gets in to an area of arm chair sailing I avoid But Im wondering and thinking that out.
Yes, they had the above but in watching the news conference live at some stupid hour of the morning, I distinctly remember the skipper mentioning the personal strobes. It was live from Hawaii and perhaps CBC has the entire news conference archived somwhere rather than the clips of it.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 16:49   #50

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to BojanglesIV
Re: 3 Canadians Rescued From Sailboat off Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
Spoken like a true Torontonian...
Ouch! This Torontonian (ex-Pegger) has done about 10000 bluewater miles in the last 3 years. it says Toronto on the transom, but the boat hasn't been in Canada since 2009.

Cheers
BojanglesIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 18:30   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh View Post
So exactly how pretty must a boat be to cross oceans?
Well, pretty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but when a boat's topical maintenance is neglected one wonders about the turnbuckles maintenance. I'm not saying the former means the latter but I am sure there is some correlation.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 18:34   #52

Re: 3 Canadians Rescued From Sailboat off Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by BojanglesIV View Post
Ouch! This Torontonian (ex-Pegger) has done about 10000 bluewater miles in the last 3 years. it says Toronto on the transom, but the boat hasn't been in Canada since 2009.

Cheers
Well, they say the only happy Pegger is an ex-Pegger
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 17:34   #53

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

What is this, Savage Love?
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 18:53   #54

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have to admit the boat in the pic looks run down. But you never know. I am fanatical about keeping everything that relates to rig, engine, hull integrity, safety equipment, etc. in first class order. But on last year's cruise to the Caribbean we liked it that we didnt look like the richest yacht in the harbor. The yard manager at my marina is forever trying to get me to awlgrip the boat. At $9,000 the cosmetics can take a back seat to things that actually matter -
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:18   #55
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
My thoughts:-

1) that OP was an idiot for setting off at that time of year - especially as bad weather seems to have come as a surprise (Cyclone or not).

2) that the boat was not suitable for the voyage (especially at that time of year).

3) that OP was correct to abandon ship - and for that I make no criticism. As Skipper you make the call, and then live with it - that's your job.

Not to say that most of the time couldn't have lucked through. But OP clearly didn't. You make your own luck - good and bad.

Some of the above may appear harsh, but bluntness used for clarity.

Perhaps the best lesson anyone can take from this thread is not to beleive the nonsense about a certain type of boat - as peddled for many years within this sub-forum. Usually by folk with a financial interest in selling "the dream" (the fantasy?).......or who simply have a screw loose .
Glad you are hanging onto my every word .....even if my above post was snatched from another thread .....I can't remember the actual name of that thread, was it summit like "Cat Sailor fails to commit Hari Kari"??

Anyway, seems to be very limited (written) info about these events - I couldn't be bothered to watch the clips (any at sea rescue action on them?), nor am I aware as to how wise that voyage was for the time of year......but I don't like to let minor stuff like that put me off adding my 2 cents .

Although from the pic posted in this thread the boat does look "well used", that alone doesn't mean it was poorly maintained. The clues for me are "experiencing problems almost as soon as it left Puerto Vallarta on January 11, requiring numerous improvised fixes along the way" plus the fact that the mast broke / fell down.

IMO a mast doesn't break or fall down of it's own accord (YMMV ), even when a torn sail involved.........it usually inolves getting hit by something (a flying whale?), "deferred" maintanence and / or simply overpressing the boat in the conditions experianced. But my bet is mostly in deferred maintanence ("It hasn't fallen down for 25 years - must be ok").

A 38 foot boat (especially one with what looks like a fairly conservative design) should not have been overwhelmed by the reported conditions......even if seriously unpleasant.

Won't say my comments in the previous thread are exactly the same as my opinion on this one - but essentially the same. Just sounds like another case of someone "living da Dream", where hope and wishful thinking used to cover a shortfall in knowledge - IMO most of the reasons for the rescue occured before even leaving port.

How many hulls doesn't really matter, nor what the chartplotter says .

The above may sound a bit () heartless - but we are on page 4 of the thread .........and IMO no one is served by avoiding saying how things are or simply accepting the explanation of "bad luck" or claiming "it could happen to anyone" (Yeah, it could happen to anyone - if they went on a serious passage with an ill prepared boat and / or crew ....even if for much of the time folk will luck through ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:40   #56

I have to agree with DOJ. There is a point to picking the scabs when these things happen. People frequently come to this forum saying "I know nothing about sailing but will be sailing around the world in a year or two, how do I do that?". Paraphrasing of course. They have a skewed idea that it's no big deal to sail across an ocean.

When stuff happens you have to be realistic about what happened and why it happened. Some people are going to head across an ocean poorly equipped regardless, but hopefully the odd one might learn a thing or two from other people's mistakes.

If we all just sit here and cheer mightily about their good fortune in being rescued (which was a good thing no doubt) and ignore all the obvious signs pointing to some significant human error, no one will ever learn anything. Except "I can do this and if it goes wrong I'll punch out and someone will save my sad a$$." And that's the wrong lesson.

I've seen that boat, or it's twin sisters, in boatyards all over. My experience is junk on the outside usually reflects junk everywhere. If you own a real crappy looking boat that happens to be magnificent in the many mechanical departments, my apologies to you. But I suspect you are the exception to the rule.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:52   #57

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71
I have to agree with DOJ. There is a point to picking the scabs when these things happen. People frequently come to this forum saying "I know nothing about sailing but will be sailing around the world in a year or two, how do I do that?". Paraphrasing of course. They have a skewed idea that it's no big deal to sail across an ocean.

When stuff happens you have to be realistic about what happened and why it happened. Some people are going to head across an ocean poorly equipped regardless, but hopefully the odd one might learn a thing or two from other people's mistakes.

If we all just sit here and cheer mightily about their good fortune in being rescued (which was a good thing no doubt) and ignore all the obvious signs pointing to some significant human error, no one will ever learn anything. Except "I can do this and if it goes wrong I'll punch out and someone will save my sad a$$." And that's the wrong lesson.

I've seen that boat, or it's twin sisters, in boatyards all over. My experience is junk on the outside usually reflects junk everywhere. If you own a real crappy looking boat that happens to be magnificent in the many mechanical departments, my apologies to you. But I suspect you are the exception to the rule.
++1 especially on last paragraph.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:16   #58

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Apart from condition of boat,seems they were a few hundred miles north of the accepted (stay below 19deg. N till last 5 or 600 miles.)route between PV and Hilo.The trade winds generally increase as you approach the islands,squalls are common,to the south they stay lighter.Feb. is a bit early to cross as storms up north are strong and frequent.May is the more popular month to cross.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 13:15   #59
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my boat looks all the heck run down. but my rig is new so are chain plates and what matters. appearance is not all the importance many think it is. seaworthy does NOT mean shiny or pretty.

pacific puddle jump is in feb.........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 09:45   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
pacific puddle jump is in feb.........
Can you expand on that a little? Jimmy Cornell says March to May, November.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran