Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2011, 15:52   #1

Suggestions on Handling this Slip with Sterndrive

35 Evans (deadrise/workboat/picnic style) with single sterndrive, stern in slip with two posts, dock and finger dock on the port.

Slip is about 35' and I have a 35' single sterndrive powerboat (a little longer with the pulpit and sterndrive). My beam is 11' and the slip is about 14'.

No current and never much wind to speak of.

Here it is on google maps - out the main dock, first left, second slip on the right (between two sailboats).

Mears Yacht Haven, The E Strand Road, Oxford, MD - Google Maps

As you can see, the width of the alley is about equal the length of my boat - this has been my biggest source of concern.

I am new to a boat this size (1 week), it has an aft steering station which has helped. I make it work, but it always involves jumping around and pushing off posts when needed.

Any suggestions on exiting and leaving the slip singlehanded? My biggest issue is exiting - I worry that forward thrust with wheel all the way to starboard will push my bow out to far. Do I run a spring line from bow to finger dock cleat to my hands at the aft station (starboard side)?

I am going to spend about 4 hours each of the next two days practicing and am looking for tips.

Thanks
parobellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 20:13   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Suggestions on Handling this Slip with Sterndrive

If you look at the slips further out you will see "guide lines" tied from the outer piling to the intermediate piling and also guide lines tied from the end of the finger pier to the outer piling. These are good ideas as they keep your boat from drifting into the next guy's slip.
- - You can also tie guide lines from the intermediate piling to the center of the slip on the dock. Also from the end of the finger pier to the same point on the main dock. This will provide a "V" of guide lines to keep your bow from wandering as you work your way into the slip.
- - There is not magic bullet so expect to spend some time pushing off from pilings as you work you way into the slip and the same when leaving.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2011, 20:20   #3

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Obviously, an accountant designed this marina and had little familiarity with boats.

Mark, inactive (too busy traveling, boating, goofing off, etcetera) California-licensed CPA (takes one to know one)
Old 16-08-2011, 20:36   #4

Thanks - there are guidelines tied there now (one pre-existed, I put the other one in). They do give some comfort, but since I go stern-first, I already have to be more centered in the slip when entering than I would be bow-first.

I was wondering about exiting - should I loop a line around the outer port post to my port bow cleat with a quick release knot like a highway man's hitch. The length of the rope would be enough to allow my stern to clear the outer starboard post but keep the bow from drifting into the boats on the other side of the alley. I then put wheel to starboard, give a little thrust forward to kick the stern out and into the alley and pull the hitch out and pull the line in the boat.

Kind of a poor man's bow thruster.
parobellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2011, 06:20   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

With a single outdrive and a good steering system it is not difficult to exit a tight quarters slip situation in calm winds/current.
- - Go out in clear water and practice turning the boat in its own boat length. This is done by going hard over on the steering and giving a good burst of power forward. Then immediately return to neutral, go hard over in the other direction with the steering and a good burst of reverse. The stern will be "kicked" in the original turn direction while you stop the forward motion with the burst of reverse.
- - The key to success is to remember that you are only moving the stern of the boat - not the bow - so you have to plan to have the bow in the maximum clear space between the slips/boats. For instance, leaving the slip, as soon as the stern is clear of the outer piling you would start the hard over bursts to kick the stern around while the bow is still midway between the slips/boats.
- - For simulator training go to a grocery store and take the grocery cart and push it around "backwards." Try maneuvering the cart by pushing/steering with the moveable wheels near to you and the "fixed" wheels out in front.
- - Where this situation gets "hairy" is when you have crosswind or cross current. In those cases I normally exit so that the bow is pushed downwind/down current into a clear area and then back out of the "alleyway" in reverse. The whole rest of the boat will trail "downwind/current" from the propeller end. Since you have near instant control of where the stern is and is going you can navigate out of the slip without hitting things you don't want to hit.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote