Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2009, 08:30   #16

Boat: 27' Norsea
Send a message via Yahoo to jwidahonurse
We were hit by one off of france 27 years ago. But it was in state 4 seas and we were in a boat that was designed to sink in the 1st place. To go from the surface to 150' feet deep and back in about 10 seconds unplanned is not fun. It still did considerable damage and made for a very exhausting trip home

Ok...this really peaked my curiosity...how do you go 150' down and come back up in 10 seconds....didn't you end up with some ear problems? And..How does a boat do that? You must have shot out of the water like a rocket.
jwidahonurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 08:37   #17

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
OK...you hooked me....what kind of boat was that?
I'm thinking the only logical explanation is a sub?
Yes, we were coming out of France running on the surface to a deep dive point in literally a hurricane. The wave came over the bow and submerged the ship went to 150+ feet with bridge hatch open. The time in the wave was like everything stopped. Then this huge column of water came down from the bridge into the control room and down 3 levels we had about 4 more hours on the surface after that. There had to be 600ft beneath the keel to dive. It was the only time I have ever been sea sick. Subs are not made to be on the surface since they have no keel. Kinda like a pencil in a bath tub full of ferrets
sushirama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 08:56   #18

Boat: Farrier f27
My dad was in the Navy in WWII in the north Pacific around lat 40 or so on maybe a 10,000 ton ship that got laid over 90 deg by a wave from out of nowhere. He called it a tsunami. The seastate otherwise was relatively calm for open ocean 6'-8'. There are areas like the Aghullas current off Africa that will produce monstrous waves in certain conditions, but those aren't rogue waves in my thinking. That being said, I believe many sailors can spend a lifetime at sea & never see anything like that.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 09:03   #19

Boat: Lord Nelson 41 S/V Fair Wind
Send a message via AIM to MJWEENZ
Incredable pictures, Bitman!!! Glad I was not there!
MJWEENZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 09:06   #20

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
There are areas like the Aghullas current off Africa that will produce monstrous waves in certain conditions, but those aren't rogue waves in my thinking.
The scientific thinking is this is the type of area that rogue waves are created. They can reach heights of nearly 200' in areas like this, then travel for long distances, reducing in size as they travel.

A tsunami is a totally different phenomena all together. A ship would not even be aware of it's passing as they are often only in the range of 3', traveling at several hundred miles per hour, in the open ocean. They slow in speed and increase in size as they get into shallow water.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 09:25   #21

Boat: Farrier f27
Yea, Dad's characterization of that wave as being a tsunami was off.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 05:03   #22

Here on the SE coast of Africe we speak of "rogue waves" with some equanimity- "they are out there" seems to be everyone's attitude.
The thing is, they seem to be associated with certain weather conditions: deepwater groundswells from the South, coupled with wind-over-current conditions (Stiff SW blowing against the S/SE Mocambique current) and we actively avoid passagemaking in those conditions. I guess the way to avoid them is like avoiding tornadoes- just stay out of their side of town when they are likely to be around. Certain seasons seem to be associated with terrible waves in all parts of the world: get to know when tose seasons are, and what creates the waves, and statistically you should avoid them.
Just in terms of risks, shipping containers are probably more likely to savage the bottom of your boat then... Now THAT is a scary prospect!
Splash Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 04:33   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See also the NWS - OPC on Rogue Waves:
Google Image Result for http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/perfectstorm/rogue_wave2.jpg

And "Freak waves, rogue waves, extreme waves and ocean wave climate":
Freak waves, rogue waves, extreme waves and ocean wave climate

Photo (below) of a rogue wave estimated at 60 feet moving away from ship after crashing into it a short time earlier. In the Gulf Stream off of Charleston, South Carolina, with light winds of 15 knots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rogue_wave2.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	7170  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 19:58   #24

I think you have better chances of getting attacked by martians. And you certainly have a better chance of getting clipped by a drunk driver on any given highway.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 20:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
and some pictures of waves index111TheStorm
That's a really cool web page.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 23:56   #26
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Rogue waves a myth??? You missed the news, they were confirmed in 2004 by ESA satellite images. They found 10 of them in a 3-week period!

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMOKQL26WD...D_index_0.html

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote