Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2018, 19:32   #1

Purchased a sailboat and looking for advice.

Hello everyone!

I am here in Daytona Beach, Florida, having traveled here looking to buy a sailboat. My goal is to sail it to St. Thomas via the thorny path route.

I didn't really do much research before I made my purchase, seeming to have stumbled upon a great boat after a few weeks searching. It is a 1978 28' Lancer. I have experience sailing, but have never owned a boat.

A backstory of the boat having sailed here from Canada and cruised the Bahamas helped sell it. I was given all the charts with plottings from those trips. The other selling point was that it included pretty much all the gear I would need for cruising. The sails, rigging and engine seems to be in good shape.

There is a soft spot on the deck not too far from the mast and I didn't think it was a big deal. The other side of the mast feels solid and looks like it's been re-fiberglassed. Now I have noticed a leak. The chain plates seem to be shiney and in good condition, but there is some slight discoloration on one of the bolts. I have decided to get a professional survey to figure out the extent of the problems I have here, and realize I should have certainly done that beforehand!

So I'm looking for opinions. I'm not too worried, the boat sails and is setup for living aboard, so I can always stay around Florida and work. What I'm worried about is that I will go through with my crazy plan and take her to the Bahamas and beyond, only to destroy the boat. My question is, if trying only to make short passages and hopefully sail in kind weather, is it possible to travel with some rot in the deck? I understand this is an old boat.

At first I thought the mast was not sunken in, now I realize it is just so slightly. The shrouds need to be tightened I believe. I will get a professional opinion on what work to do. But I'm asking for more opinions. What does it take for a chainplate to break loose and the mast to come crashing down? Will this little boat be the death of me, or if I sail gently can I make this trip happen? I took it for one sea trial and liked the way it sailed, though the winds were light. Perhaps I don't know enough yet to know how confident I am in this vessel, and after another few sea trials and second opinions I will know.

I generally have to learn the hard way unfortunately! The previous owner has said he'll come with me for the Bahamas crossing, and I hope that works out. I also would not be opposed to traveling to the Florida Keys if I can't make the big journey. Any opinions are greatly appreciated! Also share some stories if you have them of sailing with soft spots in the deck or of catastrophes due to them! Thank you very much for reading.
Michaelswanbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 23:57   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Purchased a sailboat and looking for advice.

If she's a disposable boat, maybe you can make a wooden compression post to help take the load of your deck stepped mast?

I did this on my first boat decades ago.

It had a deflection problem where the mast was stepped on deck. Literally used home Depot 2X4s as compression post and it worked fine for years.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2018, 08:25   #3

Chotu, thanks for the suggestion.

The boat already has a metal compression post so that should take care of it. Perhaps the mast is not actually sinking, and the slightly uneven look is from the soft spot which is to the right of the mast.
Michaelswanbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 18:17   #4

Boat: 39' Whitesell Ketch

Please just be careful. Be sure that your boat is sound before going to sea. I think your plan of spending more time sailing locally is a good one.
WanderingStar39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 19:34   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

Michael, if time is just a thing and you want to learn how to sail your boat, just take it out as often as you can in Daytona Beach. Bring people who know more than you. The first years of ownership are when you break things (a lot) and learn how to make them stronger. I still do this and continue to improve my 30-year-old boat. You'll then have more confidence about when you're ready to take it out on harder voyages.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 20:23   #6

Boat: Nordic 44

Crevasse corrosion occurs where you don't see it. Your chain plates can look great but if water was getting in where they pass through the deck you may have a problem. If there is any doubt pull them and get them tested before you go offshore.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2018, 20:42   #7

Boat: Vancouver 27

The survey should tell you a lot. That will probably generate a list of many dozens of things to fix, and from there that list will never really end, no matter how hard you try Soft spots and leaks around the mast certainly could be bad news bears, but I cant see that far from my armchair. Hard to say.

The previous owner could also be a big help to you as you go along. what kind of documentation/maintenance logs came with the boat? Ask him when he last inspected the chainplates or, better yet, pull them yourself and inspect. That would certainly be something worth doing before heading out SE against the trades.

Good luck, be safe and have fun!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat, sail, purchase, boat