Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 09:53   #1

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran
Question NYC Area Hurricane Prep?

I've been following the development of Matthew lately and since the forecast still seems to be "the entire US East coast" I'm thinking I need to get a solid plan in place. I'm a cruiser in a 46' LOA, 24' beam, 4' draft, 68' air draft catamaran. Currently at Newport Marina, which is *still* wrecked from Hurricane Sandy - doesn't inspire confidence.

What are some options in the area? Are there any boat yards capable of hauling us out that are also secure enough for a potential hurricane hit?

What about the idea of running up the Hudson as far as we can go and finding a sheltered marina there - it looks like we can make it all the way up to Albany. Anyone have personal experience with marinas / quality of dock construction up there?

Or does it make more sense to find somewhere in the sound? I'm not from the area, so hoping to get some "local knowledge".
cainiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:19   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: NYC Area Hurricane Prep?

I don't know how bad can be in your location , but for experience Multis have a good chance ashore using lots of straps tied to ground screws, and for personal experience don't let anyone park the car under your bridgedeck, lol.....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I'd rather be at anchor than be in a marina. Haverstraw Bay on the Hudson may be a good bet for anchoring or the other side of Croton point depending on where the wind comes from. Can't think of marina in the Albany area that could handle you.

If you're thinking of going as far as Albany , consider a little further through the Troy lock to the free docks at Waterford.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:06   #4

Boat: Santana2023

I'm on the Jersey Shore in the Barnegat bay located in Toms River. Luckily the projected path has it skimming the Carolinas then hooking east back to sea.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, nyc