Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2007, 11:11   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny
I stand corrected - sounds like a great boat - are you planning a bluewater voyage?
Thanks.
Yes, indeed. I'm looking at FULL retirement in 2 years 9 months. When I purchased Seraph, I was looking for the largest sailboat that I could trailer comfortably behind my 3/4 ton Ford F250. She came with a 12.5k lb gooseneck trailer. I'll be taking her first to our gulf coast and sailing those waters. Since I'll be doing most of my sailing during hurricane season, it'll be conforting to know, that given a storm approach, I can get her back to harbor, on her trailer, and back to Austin(4 hrs from the gulf). I'll also be taking her to Fla/Bahamas. Either by land to Fla or sail depending on the time I want to take and/or whether or not I want the gulf trip to Fla. I also desire to sail the NC coast and Pamlico sound. Belize and the Bahamas is about as far as I want to go. I've got a 5 year old grandson here in Austin and I intend to see him grow up. And hopefully love to sail. So far he's a big fan of high winds. His favorite 'trick' is to hang from the weather cockpit coaming,when the rail is under, with his feet dangling in the air over the cockpit floor. He doesn't like it when we motor. What a boy!! Since my wife doesn't like off shore sailing(she puked for 13 hours crossing the gulf stream on our honeymoon charter!), he's my primary 1st mate once he gets a few more years of growing up

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2007, 12:53   #17

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Sounds like your future sailing is looking good - we'll look forward to your posts while 'out there'.

Regards, Randy
Old 22-02-2007, 13:24   #18

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Rich,

Space can be good so don't loose sight of suits you.

I can advise from experience, a 50 footer is often easier to sail than say a 30 footer. Especially when the going gets bumpy. The motion and comfort of a bigger yacht in heavier seas means you don't get so tired, and IMHO is much better than bashing about in a smaller vessel.

And as length usually equates to speed - the bigger you can manage (thats a combo of $$ and experience) - the less time you'll be out at sea in bumpy weather!

Bigger yachts are not always best if you like marinas. They cost more to berth, and harder to park up short handed than smaller yachts. So if 'modern' add-ons like bow thrusters, or any other device help you get around easier, its simply daft not to take advantage and use them.

Many sailors are conservative. Many do get pleasure from doing it all the 'old' way. And thats great for them and for preserving maritime heritage.

But a majority of cruisers today can only enjoy the life they lead using 'modern' pieces of kit, and thats great for them also.

So good luck on what you finally choose - and good luck on getting out there. I wish you fair winds.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 22-02-2007, 13:38   #19

Boat: Looking for a new boat
A friend of mine has a 28 ft cape dory named Seraf... Weird
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2007, 14:03   #20

Boat: Gib'Sea, 422, 42 ft, Erato
Send a message via Yahoo to skipperaris Send a message via Skype™ to skipperaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichT

Several on here have said the best 2 items for single handing are 1) reliable autopilot, and 2) roller furling jib. So, those I definitely plan on. To add to that, several have said a cutter rig is a good set up. So, a few questions,

What do you guys, and gals, think is the best overall set up?
Rich, first of all we are all here on a temporary basis and there is no telling what your future is. My brother in law was diagnosed with a deadly cancer when he suddently collapsed one day. He was given 40 days as a prognosis and cheated the doctors by eight years.

On the best overall set up there is no single answer. An ancient Greek philosopher said that man is the measure of all things.

In other words the best is what is best for you.

If I were doing what you are doing I would agree with your size estimate and the need for space. Also I agree with the need for an autopilot - get the best you can afford - and the knowhow to service it if needed, or I should say, when needed. Also the roller furling genoa and in mast furling main which I have are very valuable and absolutely trouble free.

What I haven't got and maybe worth having is two steering stations. One out in the open air and another one in a well sheltered wheelhouse. I have sailed a yacht like that and it was nice.

You can simulate this with a good sprayhood and a remote for the autopilot. In this case it is a good idea to make some arrangement to be able to sit comfortably and somehow you should be able to see your instruments in both positions (repeaters or clever arrangements like Raven has for his radar http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...html#post69501
)

Keep asking about anything that puzzles you and good luck with your plans,

Aris

skipperaris

web site
skipperaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 00:53   #21

Boat: To be determined
Send a message via MSN to RichT

Hi everyone,

Back from my trip, and thanks to all for the advice and input. I'm learning more everyday. While I was away, the results of the last biopsy came back and there is some good news. The cancer has not spread to the bone marrow,(their big concern), the stomach, or intestines. Good. Will still need treatment for the tumor, probably chemo, but the doc says chances of survival are probably greater than 90%. Treatments will take 5 or 6 months, so gives me a bit of time to find the right boat.

Aris, thanks for your input. I very much realize this life is only temporary, and could change at any time, so I'm trying to keep that in perspective. I have looked at a couple of pilot house vessels, and there is a lot to be said for being protected in bad weather. Have also looked at several boats with very substantial hard dodgers, that would provide some of the same protection, but not as completely or as comfortably, but still better than a completely open cockpit.

As an aviation mechanic, I can fix almost anything if I want to, or have to. Because of that background, I also tend to be a bit anal about things being in top notch condition, i.e. "ship shape".

I plan to check out the smaller Irwins (thanks to Randy), will also look at catamarans. At this point, I'm open to almost any option that meets my basic criteria. First and foremost, good sailing qualities, strength, reliability, enough room to be comfortable, but not so large as to be unmanageable, capable of being sailed shorthanded, ie. by me, and within a reasonable budget.

So, the search is on, the mind is still open, and any additional advice and/or recommendations are welcome. You guys have been great so far, and I really appreciate everyone taking the time to share your knowledge and insights with me. I know I can never pay it back, but maybe I'll get the opportunity to pass it forward.
Thanks to all.
Rich
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 03:00   #22

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Rich,
Great news and thanks for sharing it with us.
Here's looking forward to hearing more from you as the boat project progesses.
JOHN
Old 25-02-2007, 08:28   #23

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Rich - congrats on the news - good thing 'cause now you can spend more time getting your sailing life in gear - keep us posted.
Old 25-02-2007, 15:41   #24

Boat: Gib'Sea, 422, 42 ft, Erato
Send a message via Yahoo to skipperaris Send a message via Skype™ to skipperaris
While thinking about you, Rich, I remembered a yacht that impressed me with its layout. Especially the really roomy cockpit and hard roof. It is the Dufour Atoll.
The one I was invited on is the Dufour Atoll 4 but there is also the Dufour Atoll 6 (bigger) designed the same way.

Do have a look at it. It may be what you want.

skipperaris

web site
skipperaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2007, 23:05   #25

Boat: To be determined
Send a message via MSN to RichT
Aris,
Thanks, I'll check it out. I met a fellow at the harbor who lives aboard a DuFour 30. I haven't been on it, but he says it is plenty big for him, and I know they have a reputation for being well built. Thanks again.

Rich
RichT is offline   Reply With Quote