Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2014, 13:26   #31

Re: Man Overboard Devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
DSC isn't well understood it seems.. The MOB doesn't have to make a DSC call. The mother ship merely asks the handheld for its position. The MOB has to do nothing whatsoever. A side benefit is you can actually talk to the MOB.
Not if they unconscious. Handhelds are too big and cumbersome to be carried all the time. Done it for years and it is PITA. Simplest method is lanyard looped over one shoulder across the back of the neck with the radio hanging near your chin on the other side. But still a PITA.

I know how DSC works. Interrogating the HH requires possibly the only other crew on board to leave the search and operate the radio. I prefer the hands free that AIS gives me. I can select the target and then have range, bearing TCPA etc. on screen for me.

It also will not raise an alarm unless the cass makes a call. Big plus in favour of the AIS system.

I see where you are coming from but still prefer the AIS solution.

Yours is probably cheaper if you already have DSC, but requires more intervention. 2-way communication can be useful of course "I see you, your 200m, I'm on your port bow", but again requires a conscious cass.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 16:30   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Man Overboard Devices

Quote:
Are we talking about racing with 4-5 man watches or cruising couples? For the latter, having a couple of radios for the watch standers doesn't seem too much of a burden. Recharging batteries isn't a big deal either. Our SH DSC handheld lasts for 2 8 hour watches on standby. Recharging takes much less than that.

Would it be nice if something smaller and more foolproof was available? Yes, but it isn't. We use the hardware we can get rather than wait and wish for that which we cannot.

I don't think in any scenario a DSC handheld is a good choice. With an unconscious mob, the radio is likely to be submerged.

A water activated or lifejacket activate AIS sart is a far better solution, only activates when needed long battery life no user involvement. Available now.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2014, 16:49   #33

Boat: Valiant 42

Dave,

AIS SART is a good idea. But don't see how it can be better signal wise than radio as they use the same frequency. What model of auto-activated SART is available now?

Thanks,
Dan
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 17:08   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Dave,

AIS SART is a good idea. But don't see how it can be better signal wise than radio as they use the same frequency. What model of auto-activated SART is available now?

Thanks,
Dan

SeaMob. They do a version that has water, manual and ripcord detection

Dave

Old 09-05-2014, 17:24   #35

Boat: PETERSON 44

I just have a mob pole. The vests have a flasher and whistle. Everyone that I think I might push over the side is told to look for the mob pole and expect lots of floating things to follow. If they just fell over they might have the hand held. Good luck using the dsc function on it. Maybe it will work. For the others they have this.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399681460.281749.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	80807

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 19:09   #36

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
SeaMob. They do a version that has water, manual and ripcord detection

Dave

Dave,

Respect your opinion but I don't see the argument 100% in favor of AIS (water activated) and 0% in favor of DSC handheld (no activation needed). The latter works without requiring MOB to do anything and it won't go off every time it gets wet. Both use the exact same transmit frequency band so both have the same probability of getting through although i suspect the handheld will transmit farther. You can buy 2 handhelds for the price of one SeaMOB with auto activation and that doesn't count the cost of the AIS onboard.

We can agree that having a way to positively know the location of a MOB is the best solution. Both of these solutions do that. We can disagree on the relative merits of one over the other.

To another poster who fretted over going below to ping the DSC of the MOB i believe that is a red herring. The new VHF radios have remote mics that allow DSC calling from the helm. Also, the helm person's handheld can request the MOB position and know distance and bearing in seconds. In fact, my view is that for people without AIS just having a couple of DSC handhelds is a viable option for a cruising couple.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 21:21   #37
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Recharging batteries isn't a big deal either. Our SH DSC handheld lasts for 2 8 hour watches on standby. Recharging takes much less than that."

Oh, right! Lithium hot packs have changed that aspect of things, haven't they?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:21   #38

Quote:
Dave,

Thanks,
Dan
In addition to the one posted by another, the McMurdo (Kannad) S20 and it's not much more expensive than your DSC handhelds. Arguably cheaper if you have to upgrade your base set too, and already have AIS.

Horses for courses.

A harness and tether and not falling over is much better than either!
Old 10-05-2014, 07:35   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
In addition to the one posted by another, the McMurdo (Kannad) S20 and it's not much more expensive than your DSC handhelds. Arguably cheaper if you have to upgrade your base set too, and already have AIS.
Best price that I have found is £160.00 for both the Kannad R10 and McMurdo S20
Old 11-05-2014, 01:25   #40

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post

Horses for courses.

A harness and tether and not falling over is much better than either!
Man forced to swim for hours - national | Stuff.co.nz

+1 for harnesses but a hand held 2m flexible tube from the cockpit would be helpful.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:37   #41

We once had a Latvian group on board. The first thing they did was tie two loops at shoulder height to each side of the arch. When they went to pee they put an arm through each loop which then formed a chest harness almost impossible to fall out of especially when your hands were down at your flies. Very simple and it works.

If its rough just pee in the cockpit; its being continously rinsed anyway. Same goes for vomiting, dont let people vomit over the guard wires but simply onto the side deck its rinsed by the next wave.

Tags
overboard