Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 05:46   #1

Boat: Hunter Edge 27
Makeshift Methods for Handling Jib

I just got a New hunter Edge and some of The parte of The fluring did not arrive dose any one know if i can use The jib directly
Guillotulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 15:08   #2

Boat: ketch, 51'
Re: How to use The jib.

Wow,
Depends on what you have... is there a wire from bow to top of mast? if so do you have a hank(sp) on jib.??
Need more info to be of help.
Old 11-03-2012, 15:52   #3

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Here is an interesting site with answers to your questions. Sail Trim & Shape

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 15:52   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
Now thats the way,,,Thanks Mario..
I have an office mate, mechanichal engineer, who bought a new Hunter 27 three years ago. As delivered, the jib was too tall and parts were missing. He also was a newbe. He asked his dockmates for some advice and they noted that it would be impossible to operate. No stupid question except the one you didn't ask. The first responder may be pretty close to correct. I would not be surprised if the as delivered stuff was wrong and if you are at the left end of the learning curve you could make things worse. If its a furler there will not be hanks. He may only be missing the feeder or a shackel. Yup, photos could help.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:19   #5

The jib needs to warped to the hauser bridle, athwartship the tabernacle with two lines to leeward abaft the beam's azimuth on a rhum line.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 17:23   #6

Boat: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
The jib needs to warped to the hauser bridle, athwartship the tabernacle with two lines to leeward abaft the beam's azimuth on a rhum line.
You owe me a small portion of whiskey which I shot out of my nose. OUCH.
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 18:17   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotulum
I just got a New hunter Edge and some of The parte of The fluring did not arrive dose any one know if i can use The jib directly
@OP - there are two main ways to attach a foresail to the boat.

Furler - I presume from your post you mean furler parts did not arrive. A furler will have two drums that rotate around the forestay (the front wire from top of mast to bow fitting). Along the forestay there is an aluminum foil extending from the bow to the top of the mast. The foil will have one or two grooves in it. The sail is constructed with a "bolt rope" sewn into the front end of the sail. The bolt rope fits smoothly and snuggly in the foil groove. The top of the sail is attached to the upper drum. The bottom of the sail is attached to the lower drum. The jib halyard is attched to the top of the top drum and is used to haul the sail and the top drum up the forestay.

Hanked sail - in this case the forestay wire is bare. The sail will have grommet holes spaced along the leading edge. Usually there are brass shackles, clips or "hanks" that attach the sail to the forestay. The halyard is attached directly to the sail and the sail is hanked on and raised.

Based on this it is not possible to use a jib that is designed for furling in a hanked situation as there are no grommets to attach to.

I suggest you get a book like Start Sailing Right or Keep It Simple Sailing (kiss) - the idea to take a course or get out with an expereienced sailor is also good if you haven't done so.

Good luck and regardless of the way this thread got off track please continue to post questions.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 23:49   #8
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Emergency Methods for Handling Jib

When we relaunched our Eliminator 32 (the first boat we rebuilt, back in the last decade), we launched her with new sails with luff tape that was too big for the luff foil; due to an order being delivered incorrectly... here in Kuwait you can't simply pop down to the chandlers and swap bits!!

However, we were scheduled to sail down to Bahrain that week, and determined to go. So, We removed the luff foil, attached some lugs to the jib with duct tape (thank god for duct tape), hoisted it up the forestay and hit the sea!!

Thanks to Murphy and his law, we hit a Force 5 storm that weekend... when we had to take refuge on a Saudi Island (but that's another story).... but amazingly the duct tape and lugs held up on the storm jib (which was rigged in quite a hurry) - not surprisingly some of the duct tape failed on the No1 before we got it down... but the lugs were still on the stay at least!!

What other makeshift systems have people used for handling jibs when parts have broken / simply not arrived?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 17:02   #9

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Emergency Methods for Handling Jib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotulum View Post
All depends which bits are missing. If you have the foil on the forestay with the slot in it, then you can hoist the sail up the foil and drop it when you're done. If you're missing the foil, you're out of luck.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 22:49   #10
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Emergency Methods for Handling Jib

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
All depends which bits are missing. If you have the foil on the forestay with the slot in it, then you can hoist the sail up the foil and drop it when you're done. If you're missing the foil, you're out of luck.
Not necessarily - If there are some spare lugs hanging around (and one bound is bound to have some), you could attach the lugs to the sail with whatever means possible (we used duct tape) and hoist the sail directly up the forestay.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 00:37   #11

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post

Cruel.. Very cruel!! Hell funny tho
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 00:42   #12

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Makeshift Methods for Handling Jib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotulum View Post
Assuming the jib has a Clew, Tack and Head, you should still be able to use it on a reach to completely downhill without using the foil at all. Its only going to windward that it will really fail to perform due to luff sag. But there is no reason I can think of that will prevent you from hoisting it off the wind. Assuming fair weather of course. That is in a free luff situation

If the Jib will actually go up the track no problems. Just hoist it, use it and lower it at the end of the day instead of furling it. Just because a sail wont furl is no reason not to go sailing. As long as it can be lowered - no problems.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib