Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 19:53   #1

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Lake Macquarie Boating Accident Injures Four

The following occurred 2nd August 2010-08-03

http://www.nbntv.com.au/index.php/2010/08/02/lake-macquarie-boating-accident-injures-four/

If you watch the clip it is obvious the skipper missed the well marked channel and decided to head for a warning marker. If you check the navigation charts there is an obvious channel with shallow bars to either side. Not saying I am perfect as I did something similar in the Hawkesbury a few weeks back, but at least the reversed channel markers at the particular spot aided my mistake. I was cautious enough to back the revs to nearly idle while I tried to make sense of the markers and in future will be having a decent look at the charts before the next leisurely arvo cruise in unfamiliar waters.

It is also interesting to note that the planned passage to the south intended by the skipper above was straight into an extremely strong storm front that intensified later too true gale force. See, http://www.nbntv.com.au/index.php/2010/08/03/bins-bowled-in-big-blow/
I wonder if the skipper checked the weather map or if he just though he could out-run the weather like he would be able to magically plane across the sand flats?

It is a pity to see people get hurt especially the elderly who tend not to recover that well. Regardless, as a lawyer I was involved in more than one successful personal injury case based on negligent navigation in the same waters involving high powered pleasure craft. It seems to me that in the wrong hands these vessels are effectively dangerous weapons?

Tags
accident