Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2010, 07:33   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Couple Die in Boating Accident off San Francisco

Couple die in boating accident off S.F.
Old 26-05-2010, 07:38   #2

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Terrrible tragedy. So sad.
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 07:44   #3

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
2 off of SF and 1 off of LA.

SAFETY HARNESSES PEOPLE, WEAR THEM!
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 07:45   #4
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
right where I hike with my dogs most weeks...

It's critical when coming to the Gate from the south to approach from far enough out and far enough north to get around the seal rock area... folks who come up along the coast get caught up in it... I was taught that you should take a course 3 miles off the coast from half moon bay north and then you don't turn east until you are due west, between the footings of the bridge.... sounds like the winds caught them in too close and even with the headsail furled down part way they couldn't make way against the current...

Anyone more knowledgeable with the gate have any ideas on what might have been the chain of events?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 07:53   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's a link to the report in last Monday's 'Lectronic Latitude:

Latitude 38 - 'Lectronic Latitude (see "Sunday Turns Tragic")

TaoJones
Old 26-05-2010, 08:21   #6

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
It's critical when coming to the Gate from the south to approach from far enough out and far enough north to get around the seal rock area... folks who come up along the coast get caught up in it... I was taught that you should take a course 3 miles off the coast from half moon bay north and then you don't turn east until you are due west, between the footings of the bridge.... sounds like the winds caught them in too close and even with the headsail furled down part way they couldn't make way against the current...

Anyone more knowledgeable with the gate have any ideas on what might have been the chain of events?
I've been out the gate more times than I can count.. and you're right.. the south shole can be tricky.. I've cut it close a few times durring a race and wanted to hug the areas not affected by the tides, but any wrong move and you're on the rocks...
To be safe, you almost have to go out to the 3rd or 4th bouy befor you make the turn.. and if there's a flood going, it'll suck you right in...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 08:37   #7

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post

The SF Bay is the main water outlet for California. The Gate can have tidal currents of 4 to 5 knots, the tidal range can be as high as 8 feet. Due to the outflow from interior rivers there is a horse shoe sandbar that guards the entrance to the Gate. This sandbar extends out 8 miles and the center of the bar is the shipping entrance to the Gate and has a 40 foot tall bouy in the center, the shipping channel is marked by channel markers all the way into the bay. Pilot boats are stationed beyond the bouy to transfer crew to the large ships to assit them in transiting the entrance and the bay.
Storms will bring large swells that may break over these bars. One year a aircraft carrier waited offshore an extra day and a half for a storm to pass before entering the bay.
If/when the winds are blowing above 15 knots, don't attempt to cross the sandbar, go out to the lightbucket and come down the channel.
Small craft warnings are the norm for the SF Bay.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 08:41   #8

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Sarafina is right. That stretch of Ocean Beach periodically claims folks who get inside the surf line--almost an annual event. The surf line is offshore at varying distances depending on the winds and wave heights and where you are along the shore. I have had a close call there myself while nearly 2 miles off shore. Problem is that the waves get suddenly steeper as you move up the coast toward the SF Bar and the Gate and then you notice they are breaking inside of your course. You think you are OK, but as you continue North, they start breaking further offshore and with more force as you go over the SF Bar. It is easy to sail right into a trough and have the waves break over you. Once you are in it--it is easy to imagine how things go to hell as you get pounded in the surf on your beam--eventually up on the beach. I would say 3 miles is a minimum in anything other than flat calm. Plotting a course to turn in to the Bay at the first channel marker seems like a prudent thing. In really heavy weather and big seas, I think the only safe thing is to stay way out and enter the Bar at the main SF Buoy and take the whole channel in--staying out of the way of the heavy traffic. It is one of the most dangerous places I know because the situation can get bad so quickly as you move North and in OK weather and sea conditions.

Also agree that we single handers have to be fastidious with safety lines. I confess I am not consistent, except at night, and that makes no sense. No one is going to pick you up in time in the daytime either. You just have a better view of your boat as it sails away from you. I can imagine that the cozy cockpit of that International Folkboat is very reassuring, perhaps too much so. Experience can make us more cautious or more of risk takers. The boats always seem to make it, the sailors do not.

Sobering stories to us old guys. Thinking about the great luck we have had when we have taken chances.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 09:26   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I would guess the fact that both went over probably means one was trying to rescue the other? The story got me reading, again, about jacklines.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 10:12   #10

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
I would guess the fact that both went over probably means one was trying to rescue the other? The story got me reading, again, about jacklines.
Teather your safty harness to a strong point in the center of your cockpit. If you attach the teather to a jackline to leave the cockpit, only go forward on the high side. Use two teathers, so that you can attach the second one to something before unattaching the first one.
A three inch high toe-rail is kinda nice too.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, san francisco