Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 12:50   #61

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Knots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Re the Zeppelin bend. Far superior to the sheet or even double sheet blend.

I had used the sheet blend for decades and decades but since SWL converted me to the Zeppelin, I'm hard pressed to think of any reason to return to the sheet bend.

The Zeppelin is as easy to tie (perhaps easier), holds way way better, doesn't need dressing in 99.9% of the time and easy to undo. What is not to like?

BTW, thanks again SWL!
You're welcome Wottie.
I have StuM to thank. I am just noisier than he is, so I think the message is getting through more effectively .

SWL xxx

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 13:05   #62
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
You're welcome Wottie.
I have StuM to thank. I am just noisier than he is, so I think the message is getting through more effectively .

SWL xxx
Yes you probably are noisier , and to my mind, you and knots go hand in hand but this all so to tie it back to topic, I should thank StuM for my enlightment of the Zeppelin but my passion for the Zeppelin will rest with you...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 13:07   #63

Zeppelin eh? I'll look it up. I can only assume it originated with tethering zeppelins off.

I actually have a great opportunity to test this knot. I have 13 new deck hands starting in about 5 weeks. Most of them with only very rudimentary seamanship skills. I'm teaching them seamanship in addition to emergency duties.

One of the elements is a half day of towing. I'll teach myself the zeppelin, then teach it to them, along with a sheetbend and observe the results. Might be fun.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 13:25   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Zeppelin eh? I'll look it up. I can only assume it originated with tethering zeppelins off.

I actually have a great opportunity to test this knot. I have 13 new deck hands starting in about 5 weeks. Most of them with only very rudimentary seamanship skills. I'm teaching them seamanship in addition to emergency duties.

One of the elements is a half day of towing. I'll teach myself the zeppelin, then teach it to them, along with a sheetbend and observe the results. Might be fun.

Excellent, I will be looking forward to hearing the results of your real time testing.

FWIW, there are a few different techniques on the web for tying this bend and while I've found all work OK, the 69 method as promoted by SWL seems as good as any and diffucult to forget.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 07-03-2015, 13:27   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Excellent, I will be looking forward to hearing the results of your real time testing.

FWIW, there are a few different techniques on the web for tying this bend and while I've found all work OK, the 69 method as promoted by SWL seems as good as any and diffucult to forget.
I don't know what the 69 method is, but it sounds like a good way to put myself at odds with HR

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 13:40   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I don't know what the 69 method is, but it sounds like a good way to put myself at odds with HR

Ah yes, HR indeed...

To my mind, the beauty of the 69 method is that it is a perfect technical description of the bend and as such, it can't be argued against. Thus the HR crowd can't complain without exposing themselves to their own politically incorrect innuendo.

This method is described by SWL in a few threads on CF.
Old 07-03-2015, 14:39   #67

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
El P, what do you use for tying two lines of different diameter together? The sheet bend is not good for that (and the double does not do a great job). This is a common task.
I use a sheet bend.....
I've never had any probs with it as long as its firmed up first and reasonable tails are left ( and this goes for just about any knot, hitch or bend) .
I think its generaly recommended for different sized string. Sheet Bend (Weaver's Knot) | How to tie a Sheet Bend (Becket Bend) | Basics Knots
Old 07-03-2015, 14:40   #68

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

The three I use, which are pretty much all I use are the clove hitch, bow line and a cleat hitch, and I had to look up what they were because to be honest I had no idea I'd their names. And I have no idea how to do a lot of those others your all naming.

The 69 I'm familiar with but havnt seen 50 shades of grey yet to put it to practice when it comes to knots.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 14:42   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
The three I use, which are pretty much all I use are the clove hitch, bow line and a cleat hitch,......
The Clove Hitch is a Judas knot...only fit for tying boy scouts together.
Old 07-03-2015, 14:51   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The Clove Hitch is a Judas knot...only fit for tying boy scouts together.
'judas knot', I'm not familiar with this term. I'm deducting that it will betray me?

And why would you tie two Boy Scouts together?
Old 07-03-2015, 14:53   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I use a sheet bend.....
I've never had any probs with it as long as its firmed up first and reasonable tails are left ( and this goes for just about any knot, hitch or bend) .
I think its generaly recommended for different sized string. Sheet Bend (Weaver's Knot) | How to tie a Sheet Bend (Becket Bend) | Basics Knots
this looks easy to remember
Old 07-03-2015, 14:57   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
'judas knot', I'm not familiar with this term. I'm deducting that it will betray me?

And why would you tie two Boy Scouts together?
Yep, it will betray you if used to secure the end of the rope to something and the rope isn't under constant load... a dinghy lying astern with the painter secured to the taffrail, frinstnce.

Boy Scouts ? Not just two but a whole string of em...don't know why you would do it but I read about it once in a book written by that Baden Powell chappee.

The only redeeming feature of the clove hitch is that it can be formed in the middle of a rope and the hitch thus formed can be dropped over a star picket, boy scout, whatever.....
Old 07-03-2015, 15:48   #73

Quote:
El P, what do you use for tying two lines of different diameter together? The sheet bend is not good for that (and the double does not do a great job). This is a common task.
What?? The sheet bend is excellent for making a simple bend to a larger line. You might not choose it for hauling a coal barge, but it's just fine for tag lines.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 18:14   #74

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Pretty much exhausted favorite knots. How about favorite anchors?
Old 07-03-2015, 20:47   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
What?? The sheet bend is excellent for making a simple bend to a larger line. You might not choose it for hauling a coal barge, but it's just fine for tag lines.
Try tying one and simply giving one line a few decent shakes. It takes surpisingly little effort to undo.

Then try tying lines of different diameter together. Pop one around a winch (a bowline works brilliantly in this application ). Winch the other and watch the sheet bend just slide apart.

Repeat for the Zeppelin (with an extra final turn of the thin line if the diameters are very different), then try untying it after the high load has been applies (dead easy still). Once you have used this bend a few times in critical situations (eg snubber underwater in 30+ knots for a couple of days) in no time at all you will be a convert and preaching along with the rest of us .

Ryon - give it a go

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knot