Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2014, 03:14   #151

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Inability to keep the water out > Long distance rescue

I apologies before posting, as I'm sure I'll upset someone, but this is quite a funny stream with some of the suggestions. I think you would need to get a bigger boat to carry everything.

I have one suggestion if the need to remove this amount of water becomes necessary, 'insurance', and make sure it's paid up.

Seriously, the best Manuel pump is a good quality manual bilge pump. You can get them that move close to 120 ltrs a minute (30 gal for you yanks). That's massive. If it's coming in so fast that one of these won't keep up to the job, you really need to concentrate on getting ready for leaving the boat.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 08:10   #152
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
I apologies before posting, as I'm sure I'll upset someone, but this is quite a funny stream with some of the suggestions. I think you would need to get a bigger boat to carry everything.

I have one suggestion if the need to remove this amount of water becomes necessary, 'insurance', and make sure it's paid up.

Seriously, the best Manuel pump is a good quality manual bilge pump. You can get them that move close to 120 ltrs a minute (30 gal for you yanks). That's massive. If it's coming in so fast that one of these won't keep up to the job, you really need to concentrate on getting ready for leaving the boat.

Standard 3" crash pump does 600l per minute. And leaves you free to deal with stopping the water ingress.

Kodiak 3" High Output Trash Pump with Honda GX240 OHV Engine | Engine Powered Pumps

Up to 1800l per minute if you go to a transfer pump. That's 476 gallons per minute!

http://enginepoweredpumps.com/Kodiak...B003L7VTXQ.htm

I don't know who Manuel is, but he's going to have a hard time keeping up with a manual pump!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 08:14   #153
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Standard 3" crash pump does 600l per minute. And leaves you free to deal with stopping the water ingress.

Kodiak 3" High Output Trash Pump with Honda GX240 OHV Engine | Engine Powered Pumps

That's the sort of thing you want alright. However I find the noise of the chopper dropping them on the deck to be very disconcerting as is the sight of my wife in the arms of another ( winch) man

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13-04-2014, 09:16   #154

A pump powered by an outboard is a great idea. Not at all wacky except not available. Small, light, and extremely capable if done correctly. Would not take up much space at all. But I can asssure you it won't be me doing the build. Happy to assist with the project but no interest in bringing anything like this to market.

You could have three swivel wing nut bolts and an attached flat collapsible
hose. Pull the OB cord and you're pumping huge amounts of water which until you run out of gas will allow you to fix the leak and/or wait for rescue.

Cooling either a clamshell or even a big enough housing to have the inlet cover the ob pump intake.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 09:19   #155
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Be interesting to see how much water it would really shift. Can see the typical 8hp egg beater being a whole lot of use. Not to mention securing the thing while it pumped. Then there is the issue of debris in the water

Dave

Old 13-04-2014, 09:56   #156

Boat: Cornado 25

Interesting article about some real world tests on keeping the water out,
(http://www.admiralyacht.com/admiral-...at-sinking.pdf)
They bashed an approximately 3" hole 8" below the water line in the forward part of the boat. Then put her in slings and lowered her into the water to test various methods to "keep the water out".

Here is a couple of vids for the same tests
Yachting Monthly's Crash Test Boat is holed Part 1 - YouTube
Yachting Monthly's Crash Test Boat is holed Part 2 - YouTube
capt-couillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 10:04   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Be interesting to see how much water it would really shift. Can see the typical 8hp egg beater being a whole lot of use. Not to mention securing the thing while it pumped. Then there is the issue of debris in the water

Dave

Having worked in mining camps in the South American jungles with pumps and diesels I can tell you it will work. In thoses environments gum wrappers and used. Milk jugs cut into pieces for hose clamps and gaskets etc. It can take weeks to hand carry equipment up treacherous slippery trails and supplies are gold. These miners are creative to a fault.

But yeah you're not gonna go to West Marine and pick one up with a credit card and have a pimply faced "Marine Tech" hhok it up for you with a guarantee.

This stuff is fun not work. But If you have a nice boat I'll bet mine against yours I can make one out of crap and it'll work great.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 10:15   #158
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Dave

The above 1800l per minute crash pump runs on an 8 HP motor. Most cruisers I know have 15 HP outboards (or bigger). These pumps use impellers or diaphragms dramatically smaller than an outboard prop, if that's what you're pumping with. Bet you could use the same pump model the crash pump does, but run by an outboard, if you are going for shaft driven. Says it will handle debris 1" in diameter.

Old 13-04-2014, 10:16   #159

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
I like the trash pump--will accept 1" debris. The transfer pump 1/4"
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 10:20   #160

I'm a KISS guy. 4300 GPH, (that's about 80, 55 gal drums!) almost no fuel usage, $500, smaller than a 5 gal bucket. 1.5" hoses.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp hondapump.bmp (117.2 KB, 56 views)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 15:30   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post
Interesting article about some real world tests on keeping the water out,
(http://www.admiralyacht.com/admiral-...at-sinking.pdf)
They bashed an approximately 3" hole 8" below the water line in the forward part of the boat. Then put her in slings and lowered her into the water to test various methods to "keep the water out".

Here is a couple of vids for the same tests
Yachting Monthly's Crash Test Boat is holed Part 1 - YouTube
Yachting Monthly's Crash Test Boat is holed Part 2 - YouTube
These are great to watch. Sad to watch for the boat, but somethings are necessary for knowledge. There are other ones he does about seacock's breaking etc and the best solution he came up with was some kind of grease the shut it down.
Old 13-04-2014, 15:44   #162

Quote:

Up to 1800l per minute if you go to a transfer pump. That's 476 gallons per minute!

Kodiak 4" Water Transfer Pump with Honda GX240 OHV Engine | Engine Powered Pumps

I don't know who Manuel is, but he's going to have a hard time keeping up with a manual pump!
You got me on a spelling mistake. lol. It's my dyslexia/autism coming through. Thank google for goodness, or I would be making a lot more spelling mistakes because I spell phonetically (which if it wasn't for google, I would have spelt with an 'f').
Old 13-04-2014, 15:57   #163

I do think those of you talking about these big fire fighting pumps are all missing the point a little. Which Dave, (Goboatingnow) was alluding too. If your going to aim for all these larger, motor driven pumps and pumps off your engine and all that sort of thing, you got to question whether you need a bigger boat to put it all on, or a helicopter to deliver it to you when you need it.

A large 'manual' (I was careful for you Dave :-) ) pump is everyone's friend which is why it's mandatory on all official cruising/racing boats.
Old 13-04-2014, 16:01   #164
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
I do think those of you talking about these big fire fighting pumps are all missing the point a little. Which Dave, (Goboatingnow) was alluding too. If your going to aim for all these larger, motor driven pumps and pumps off your engine and all that sort of thing, you got to question whether you need a bigger boat to put it all on, or a helicopter to deliver it to you when you need it.

A large 'manual' (I was careful for you Dave :-) ) pump is everyone's friend which is why it's mandatory on all official cruising/racing boats.

Several of us already have larger boats with plenty of capacity, ie not a catamaran. Mine has three large Manuel pumps. But no Manuel's to man them. Therefore, I pursue other options as well. Never too many tools in your tool bag.

Old 13-04-2014, 16:35   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I'm a KISS guy. 4300 GPH, (that's about 80, 55 gal drums!) almost no fuel usage, $500, smaller than a 5 gal bucket. 1.5" hoses.
Hmmmm ..... I thought KISS stood for simple. I'm not sure an exploded parts diagram of that pump would mark it down as being from the simple end of the spectrum of contenders; I'd have thought that was reserved for buckets, and Edsons...

But I guess you could point out that an exploded view of a human makes a Honda pump look simple. And buckets and Edsons don't work without a prime mover.

To which (scratching head and conceding the point for a moment)

Ah.... yer: but the human was there anyway, and so is the diesel prime mover (and for those who like'em, the outboard)

Isn't it better to use resources which are already to hand, if you can?
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue, water