Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 18:13   #106
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Inability to keep the water out > Long distance rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Maybe so,e one is already on this, but there was a company marketing a spring starter for common marine diesels around 10 years ago. No idea who it was, but they ran around $600 or so for a 4 cylinder.

Startwell in the UK. Quite pricey units , I've used one but not on a boat. They require reasonable space round the starter.

Of course you have to remove the electric starter to fit it , not an easy job in a lot of boat engines and very difficult in extremis

Personally I carry a solar panel and a spare battery

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2014, 18:17   #107
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Don't get me wrong, I get a kick out of being able to turn each cylinder injector off independently via diagnostics software. Last problem I had with my old fourby was a failed throttle position sensor (must be a common failure point!). Diagnosed instantly via the ECU and diagnostics. The new replacement price was $$$ and I couldn't get a used one for love or money locally. Ended up getting a used one from the USA at a half reasonable price. The rub is, the same engine in carburetted form doesn't even have a TPS which makes it kind of like the old six one way, half a dozen the other argument.

I haunt breakers yards. Plenty of crew cab trucks wrapped around poles it seems. And nearly anything can be got on eBay.

I just think it's the same issues of old dressed up in a newer technology. I'm sure the ass and cart drivers said the same thing about them new fanged steam engines !

Dave

Old 10-04-2014, 18:19   #108
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

What does any of this have to do with Andrews thread? You guys realize how poor your manners are, right? You are crapping all over a perfectly good brainstorm because you don't agree with where it's headed. I thought the outboard as a pump was a sharp idea, for one. We arent learning anything useful from you two, you are just talking over the OP to be unpleasant and disrupt the thread. Let us get back to brainstorming ideas which are actually useful, instead of whining that we aren't doing it your way!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 18:25   #109
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Just yesterday I was given a remarkable example of how trained engineers have great difficulty understanding even basic electricity.

I am between civil engineers and a technology manufacturer and I'll be damned if I can bridge the gap. One can't visualized flow in wires, the other can't visualize a three dimensional world. Both are groups are of high performing professionals.

At times it just amazes me how much we average joe sailors manage to accomplish. So many folks are just mystified by electricity, it is truly just plain magic.

Our small boat has an MD7A, hand crank. The big boat a 4HJ4 yanmar. I have multiple pump systems on both. The big boat has a Honda and an electric submersible pump.

I can see points to both arguments. I don't see a convincing argument for either position.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 18:31   #110
Nearly an old salt

Inability to keep the water out > Long distance rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
What does any of this have to do with Andrews thread? You guys realize how poor your manners are, right? You are crapping all over a perfectly good brainstorm because you don't agree with where it's headed. I thought the outboard as a pump was a sharp idea, for one. We arent learning anything useful from you two, you are just talking over the OP to be unpleasant and disrupt the thread. Let us get back to brainstorming ideas which are actually useful, instead of whining that we aren't doing it your way!

That's choice , are you seriously suggesting that " brainstorming " which consisted or suggestion of trying to start a modern engine with a drill motor , or a quick hack together of decompression levers, or the crazy suggestion of equipping a typical yacht with an air motor system are serious. contributions.

Let me add one in that vein. Why not add shotgun cartridge start system , sure the lads could knock it up on the kitchen table in no time with paper mâché and string.

Occams razor applies, I suggested two simple off the shelf solutions.

Bit no , instead we have a kind of bumbling , armchair musing of suggestions best confined to a Heath Robinson cartoon .

Nor was I the one that rambled off into the nostalgia.

It Ill becomes you, minaret to level such accusation, the discussion was directly relevant it's about learning to accept and perhaps master new technology not tilt at windmills

Nor to my knowledge is any thread owned by anyone on CF

Dave

Old 10-04-2014, 18:37   #111

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Oops the self appointed forum police have spoken....
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 18:54   #112
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
That's choice , are you seriously suggesting that " brainstorming " which consisted or suggestion of trying to start a modern engine with a drill motor , or a quick hack together of decompression levers, or the crazy suggestion of equipping a typical yacht with an air motor system are serious. contributions.

Let me add one in that vein. Why not add shotgun cartridge start system , sure the lads could knock it up on the kitchen table in no time with paper mâché and string.

Occams razor applies, I suggested two simple off the shelf solutions.

Bit no , instead we have a kind of bumbling , armchair musing of suggestions best confined to a Heath Robinson cartoon .

Nor was I the one that rambled off into the nostalgia.

It Ill becomes you, minaret to level such accusation, the discussion was directly relevant it's about learning to accept and perhaps master new technology not tilt at windmills

Nor to my knowledge is any thread owned by anyone on CF

Dave

Shotgun cartridge start? Finally, a crazy idea worthy of discussion....

Old 10-04-2014, 18:56   #113
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Shotgun cartridge start? Finally, a crazy idea worthy of discussion....

Thank you I'm trying to take your post to heart and refrain from any practical or useful ideas , I'm planning to mock one up in plasticine. I have plenty of cartridges

Dave

Old 10-04-2014, 18:59   #114
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thank you I'm trying to take your post to heart and refrain from any practical or useful ideas , I'm planning to mock one up in plasticine. I have plenty of cartridges

Dave

I seem to remember the big rig in the movie "The Road Warrior" having a shotgun cartridge start. Is this a done thing with truck diesels? Or am I imagining that? Or was it just in the movie?

Old 10-04-2014, 18:59   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Oops the self appointed forum police have spoken....
ho hum play nice now.......

i can remember being on a passage from morocco to the canary islands when the alternator died about 3 days from las palmas,and we were unable to start the engine due to flat batteries,
no solar panals in those days......

but some one had given me a 600w honda generator in pieces when i had left gibraltar.

it took me 2 days to put the generator back together and get it running,but it was enough to get the engine started,and the batteries charged!

nessecity is the mother of all invention!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 19:00   #116
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I seem to remember the big rig in the movie "The Road Warrior" having a shotgun cartridge start. Is this a done thing with truck diesels? Or am I imagining that?

The classic is " the flight of the Phoenix " great cartridge start scene , but I'm just showing my age !

Dave

Old 10-04-2014, 19:09   #117

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

For bilge pumps, so far, I have a submersible Rule, a 1" diaphragm PAR, a 2" Edson manual, and a 1-1/2" manual. Plus the shower sump pump and 1-1/2" navy-style dinghy bilge pump. I'd like to add a high capacity engine driven pump, too.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 19:14   #118
Nearly an old salt

Inability to keep the water out > Long distance rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
For bilge pumps, so far, I have a submersible Rule, a 1" diaphragm PAR, a 2" Edson manual, and a 1-1/2" manual. Plus the shower sump pump and 1-1/2" navy-style dinghy bilge pump. I'd like to add a high capacity engine driven pump, too.

I've fitted two Jabsco de watering pumps to engines but I sincerely think they are a poor choice now. Equally I would argue against the Edson shaft pump. You need more flexibility. Engine mounted pumps are expensive too , for a total install price

I think the fairly cheap petrol rescue pumps are the best. Easy to transport to the correct place. Easy to prime. Easy to start. If you can't control it with that you're lost.

The big issue with the engine pumps is you have to left the water come to you. Furthermore rubber impellers are quite intolerant of debris.

Dave

Old 10-04-2014, 19:21   #119

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...The big issue with the engine pumps is you have to left the water come to you...
The Erickson-style, yes. But I had in mind a belt-driven pump with suction hose inlet.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 19:24   #120

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
ho hum play nice now.......
Lol I've been feeling crook the last couple of days and playing on forums when I should be working!

Sorry minaret.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rescue, water