Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2011, 14:14   #16

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Help Me Understand My Whisker Pole - Please

Here's a closer look at the smaller hook, it's on the larger diameter section of the pole opposite from the end where the smaller diameter section of the pole extends.

When I thought one hooked to the sheet only, I could see this going there. But learning the clew is sometimes used I can't see this fitting the clew grommet very well. And in either case the flat triangular retainer could chaff the sheets.

If this was on the mast loop, loose motion would be limited and no chaffing of sheets.

I just shot this through a port hole.

four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 14:16   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
Thanks, I still haven't looked there. I was trying to get out on the bay before the winds picked up.

edit,.... there's no pictures there, but I will read it for a clue about which ends where. I like pretty pictures best.
Old 17-05-2011, 14:32   #18

Most of the seminar applied to newer style poles. No mention of my type. Except to say how to deploy from deck chocks like I have. That helped.

A couple of things mentioned:

- using it set at the length of the foot of the sail.

- hooking on the sheet, not the clew.

- using the lazy sheet to act as a foreguy.

- don't use it for a spin pole.

- adding fore and after guys if deployed for a long time on trade wind passage. Allowing for controlled furling in squall conditions quickly without detachment. Leaving more time to deal with mainsail or other issues.
Old 17-05-2011, 15:00   #19

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

The Forespar website has an informative video for those of us that are slightly written word challanged.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 17:54   #20

I've seen it on youtube as well I think. At least I think it's the same video because the person on camera is the same. I didn't press play.

I should watch it to make sure there isn't a close up shot I missed on youtube.

It contains a mast stored, line extended pole demonstration if I'm correct.

I looked up the Forespar pole for a boat like mine. The picture was junk, but it shows a socket connection on the mast and the large hook/round plunger on the sheet end.

So I think I figured out what I'm going to do. Of course it's dark now and I'm just bobbing about on the hook in the bay. About to cook something.

edit,.... I just looked again, the first minute of the video answers my question. Not sure how I missed that. Damn, I'm clueless sometimes.

Still I appreciate the discussion of all the tips and techniques expressed here.

thanks.
Old 17-05-2011, 18:23   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
The picture doesn't show the smaller hooked end very well. (the end with two holes adjacent to the hook) It has a flat triangular shaped retainer with an edge that could chaff the sheet. That retainer pivots inward to connect, and if attached to the mast loop can't be forced open by the SS loop. if at the clew this triangular shape wouldn't fit through the clew very well.
That triangular retainer was designed for the mast-end fitting on a dip pole (as opposed for a pole used for end-to-end gybes.) Makes it easier to slam it home at the end of the gybe.

Racers love that sort of thing. They also lose fingers, from time to time.

Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 18-05-2011, 07:32   #22

Thanks Bash, that makes sense. It also means I can attach it without pulling the loop even if I'm not in a hurry. I had not realized that yet.

I've finally got this thing figured out, I think, and will try it soon.

Winds were quite brisk yesterday, so I didn't try it after all. I want to use it in light winds first. I anchored out in the bay last night to see if could do a night sail later.

And I had an absolutely wonderful full moon sail last night. Pulled the anchor at 3AM and sailed til sunrise. Watched the full moon set as the sun rose. Counter-rotating high and low pressure systems caused a good NW wind all night. The high was to the west and the low was backing up from the east so it squeezed a nice steady breeze my way.

My first full moon sail. Now I'm going to take a nap.

edit,... It looks like one last issue I have is the topping lift. It's actually a spinnaker halyard so the sheave isn't properly positioned at the masthead. I may need to add a properly positioned lift sheave. Or learn the details of getting by with the spin halyard.
Old 18-05-2011, 07:49   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
edit,... It looks like one last issue I have is the topping lift. It's actually a spinnaker halyard so the sheave isn't properly positioned at the masthead. I may need to add a properly positioned lift sheave. Or learn the details of getting by with the spin halyard.
While I don't see why a spinnaker halyard couldn't be used as a topping lift, the ideal lift would exit the mast about halfway up. This is especially true if you're going to use a bridle on the pole. Think of the topping lift in terms of a tree swing, and you'll understand why shorter is better than longer when you're at the bottom of the pendulum.
Old 18-05-2011, 09:34   #24

"My pole has a pin/socket at the mast connection. " Yea, the pin socket arrangement is real nice compared with just a loop on the mast....no banging and rattling...
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2011, 11:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
While I don't see why a spinnaker halyard couldn't be used as a topping lift, the ideal lift would exit the mast about halfway up. This is especially true if you're going to use a bridle on the pole. Think of the topping lift in terms of a tree swing, and you'll understand why shorter is better than longer when you're at the bottom of the pendulum.
My spinnaker halyard sheave is on an arm that over-reaches the forestay to the port side about 10-15 degrees.

Of course I'm learning here, but looks like it would fly a spinnaker to port or starboard with no problem. However, since the topping lift would come down behind the foresail, it would fly to port better than to starboard. To port it may contact the leech some, but to starboard it would have to rap around behind the leach to reach the starboard side, and would have greater contact with the leech and possibly the luff at the same time. This is all speculation, may not be true in practice. I'll find out.

A dedicated topping lift sheave wouldn't be terribly costly, so I'll install one if needed.

Thanks for the details on proper location.

Sailing is a wonderful right-brain left-brain activity.
Old 19-05-2011, 09:16   #26

No spare jib or staysail halyard? I seldom used a guy or lift with a whisker pole.... but I'm kind of lazy. Usually I choked the sheet down a little by moving it forward or used just a guy. But I dont sail in light air much ...usually put up the Perkins Reacher. :>) They would be nice especially if the air is light for sure.
Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 10:06   #27

Yes, I have a spinnaker halyard, but no spinnaker. I intend to use that for a topping lift in my first attempts to pole out the genoa.

Maybe one day I'll have a drifter or reacher, but for now I must use what's on hand. Since I've yet to see what their capabilities are, I can wait to add more choices.
Old 19-05-2011, 19:59   #28

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Thanks for posting that seminar. I've had a small pole on the boat that for years I used as a whisker pole. One end had a pin and socket, the other had a plastic point to it. We always stuck the pointy end into the clew grommet, and clipped the pole to the toerail. We never had a mast fitting and the pole wasn't really long enough at full extension to do it anyway.

You learn something new every day.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 22:51   #29

Location: Currently on the HARD in Guaymas Mexico and staying in Phoenix, AZ
Boat: Columbia 45
Re: Help Me Understand My Whisker Pole, Please

Quote:
Here's a picture. The inset shows the smaller tube diameter end. The overall shows the larger tube diameter closest to the camera.

Probably would work either way, but help me understand which end goes to the mast. The mast has a stainless steel loop about three inches diameter perpendicular to the mast and lying horizontal.

We have the same pole. Works great on my boat.
Inner pole goes outboard. Larger pole/outside goes to the mast. I have mine set for about 2 feet longer than the distance from my mast to the headstay tack. I use it for Genoas and for my Asym chute.
lookoutnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 15:12   #30

Boat: 1982 Oday 34

My boat has the same whisker pole with the little black push buttons. However, my previous owner left it collapsed on deck for years, and the black push buttons seem to be permanently pushed. No amount of PB Blaster has been able to coax them to spring out.

Is there any way to replace them?
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote