Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2015, 23:22   #16

Boat: 1986 Tosca 36'
Send a message via Skype™ to american
Re: Got rear-ended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
Again I'm in her corner, no hate towards her in any way.
Apologies if I misinterpreted your intent/tone with regards to Liz's situation.

Thing is, even if a company has insurance, that does not mean they want you making claims on it. In fact, the company has a great incentive to make the process as difficult as possible for you, since a single claim stemming from an incident like Liz's or OPs will have global impact on their fleet-wide policy.

I speak from experience on this - having seen it happen with a taxi company (fleet insurance) and a trucking company (again, fleet insurance). In the instance of of taxi company, they preferred to fight the situation with law-fare, even though they were in the wrong and there was video evidence to prove it. In the case of the moving company, I was lucky enough to have bought an additional insurance policy above-and-beyond what was being offered by the company. Good thing too!

For OP's problem... I do think it would make sense to engage a lawyer to send them a letter explaining the situation and that legal action will follow if the situation isn't remedied ASAP.

Dream Yacht might prefer to get out of this without there being an insurance claim... so maybe it makes sense to give them a repair estimate with the amount you're seeking? That way they understand that there's a fixed dollar amount being sought, and can then weigh the benefit of a one-time cash pay-out vs. legal battle and insurance payout?
Old 27-04-2015, 07:20   #17

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 08:01   #18

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by american View Post
.................. so maybe it makes sense to give them a repair estimate with the amount you're seeking? That way they understand that there's a fixed dollar amount being sought, and can then weigh the benefit of a one-time cash pay-out vs. legal battle and insurance payout?
Better would be two or three estimates from established companies who do this sort of work, not an estimate from a friend.
Old 27-04-2015, 08:15   #19
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Back to the original post. I know anything marine is expensive but I'm finding 7K euro damage from the explanation to be over the top. Maybe the friends estimate is including some new sails and beer...
Bent stainless work might need straightening, no materials, just labour. A torn Bimini, repair or replace the panel. Overall it sounds like 2K would be generous.
Anyway a picture paints a thousand words so maybe the OP can enlighten us with a pic or two..

"I think multihulls require less IQ to sail than a monohull" - Duckwheat
monte is offline   Reply With Quote