Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 21:41   #16

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Flat bottom boats as bluewater cruisers

Just google scow bows, plenty of modern flat bottom yachts come up.
I once sailed on a Benford 36’ junk rigged dory in a wind over tide situation at the northern end of Moreton bay. Nothing serious, maybe a meter chop but the dory was heeled over sailing and presenting a V to the water. An occasional wave would slap the bottom but not enough to stop us. I was hanging my head over the side observing for a fair while. The peformance was good enough to convince me to build a flat bottom plywood multichine yacht. You can check her out on fore and aft surveyors volkscruiser link. The only issue we really have is at anchor on a choppy day the bow does slap. Still if that’s the cost of having 700mm draft I can live with that.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:10   #17

So it's interesting to hear that even moving along at displacement speeds, that when heading into the waves/wind there is still pounding on the flat front sections. I suppose that makes sense, but at 8 knots or less, it still is surprising
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:05   #18

Boat: Gulf 32

Can't speak to the bluewater side, but have a sharpie style 20' trailer sailor. If you motor a lot then I wouldn't say it's the right hull shape, but if you sail a lot then the above comments are right on about the pounding going (mostly) away once on heel. It DEFINITELY pounds going into swell when under power alone, we have learned that unless it's dead calm any motoring is motorsailing, just to get some heel on and lessen the pounding.
Old 05-02-2019, 21:28   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I've rowed a lot of miles in dories adapted for whitewater, and I can certainly attest to their stability. From that standpoint I wouldn't doubt its bluewater abilities. The only things are the lack of volume for stowage, and it wouldn't be too fast. Still Alfred Johnson made it work:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred...ial%22_Johnson
https://www.capeannmuseum.org/collec.../johnson-dory/
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, boat, cruise, cruiser, water