Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2009, 11:58   #1

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Fire Hose as Chafe Guard

I scored some 3 inch fire hose and the plan is to use it for chafe protection when spider webbed for a hurricane.

It has double wall fabric, the inner one having been bonded to the inner most rubber.

My understanding of storm rope failure is not so much that the rope actually rubs through but that it rubs, heats up and melts through.

The newer (and very expensive ) chafe guards are thin and single walled. This allows the water to penetrate and help keep the line cool if I understand correctly.

So my question;

Should I use the hose as is or should I pull out the inner portion and just use the outer portion as it will allow water to pass?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 12:58   #2

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
I remove the inner section for the reason you cite. Wish I could find some more of the small (1.5") hose, I have lots of the bigger stuff, but it is hard to find the stuff that fits the lines better.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 13:01   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You'll want to cut up the 3 inch after removing the inner core to make your own tubes to fit the rope. The outer core is pretty nasty stuff. Fireman don't want chaffed hoses.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 13:09   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
You'll want to cut up the 3 inch after removing the inner core to make your own tubes to fit the rope. The outer core is pretty nasty stuff. Fireman don't want chaffed hoses.
It is not chafed much on the outside.
The rubber is bonded too well to the inner core to separate it out.
Old 13-09-2009, 13:43   #5

I've always left the rubber inner core on mine, and never had a problem, even through a few hurricanes.
Old 13-09-2009, 13:56   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
No problem, until the rubber starts crumbling and you get this whole mess aboard.

Fur hurricanes, fine, you use anything. But for regular use we switched to those expensive ones from the catalogs made from webbing with velcro to open it en put over a line. They are very expensive, but also work extremely well and hold up to UV.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 14:22   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
I like the hose, but could never get the fine one - on my shore the dia is (?) - like 5 inches. Too big.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 16:20   #8

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Therapy,

The hose you are referring to is (not-surprisingly) named double-jacket. I am a retired fire Captain, handled miles of the stuff. The outer jacket is very robust and will last a long time when correctly secured to other lines. My Rhodes Reliant sit on a mooring in front of my house here in Bermuda, and whilst I have replaced the bridle, 1" 3-lay nylon, through age, I still have the same chafe protection that survived thru Fabian. 24hrs, 45- 177mph. To separate the 2 woven surfaces, pinch the hose between thumb and fore-finger. Get a broomstick between the woven surfaces and drive it through. It separates quite easily normally. Melt some holes about an inch back from your cuts and weave some 3/16 braided line through the holes and through the lay of your shore lines. Whip the ends tight around the shore lines. It has worked for me for many years.
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 16:29   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I scored some 3 inch fire hose
EDIT:

Dang.
I just measured the ID.
It is 1.5 inches.

Blue Stocking,
I have some separated already. I am thinking of using just the outer jacket.
Old 13-09-2009, 17:48   #10

Boat: 45 Hunter Passage - On-On
Nylon Sleeve Chafe Protector

The company I work for sells a product i think save some labor from trying to peel the inner tube from fire hose btw we sell fire hose also. there are 2 varities avaiable one is a nylon sock avaiable from a .67" id to 6" id the sleeve comes up to 300ft in length.
there is even a version that has a velcro Clousure (industrial Velcro) so you can wrap around and zip closed really ideal for long lenght applications. you can contact me or most hydraulic hose shops would have it.
but peeling tube out of fire hose seem like a lot of work.

Good Luck
mholubec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2009, 19:09   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholubec View Post
The company I work for sells a product i think save some labor from trying to peel the inner tube from fire hose btw we sell fire hose also. there are 2 varities avaiable one is a nylon sock avaiable from a .67" id to 6" id the sleeve comes up to 300ft in length.
there is even a version that has a velcro Clousure (industrial Velcro) so you can wrap around and zip closed really ideal for long lenght applications. you can contact me or most hydraulic hose shops would have it.
but peeling tube out of fire hose seem like a lot of work.

Good Luck
My understanding is that nylon is not very good chafe material. Dunno for sure.
Old 13-09-2009, 19:12   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Just by 2" tubular climbing webbing for $0.65/foot.

Last for years, very slippery inside, and MUCH simpler. You'll have a new boat before this wears out.

BlueWater 2" Climb-Spec Tubular Webbing at REI.com
Old 13-09-2009, 19:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Last for years, very slippery inside, and MUCH simpler. You'll have a new boat before this wears out.

BlueWater 2" Climb-Spec Tubular Webbing at REI.com

Nylon.

OK.

I am new at this chafe during a hurricane thing ya know.
Old 13-09-2009, 19:26   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I have used it for chafe protection on hawsers on much larger vessels just as it is.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2009, 03:01   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The greater the distance between a fairlead and it’s associated cleat, the more "sawing" action permitted, as the rope stretches & relaxes under load/unload.
Accordingly, where practical, I recommend locating cleats as close to fairleads as will allow comfortable line work - or better yet, replacing fairleads with cleats (when possible).

I’ve often used chains, wrapped around dolphin pilings; with rope lines shackled to chain, then run to boat.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote