Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2011, 18:02   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Docking Questions . . .

[QUOTE=cabo_sailor;805504]See how it works for you, but I've found that trying to back a sailboat into anywhere is very tricky. You essentially have no rudder. Try this experiment. Place your hand vertically in front of your mouth, like a rudder. First blow on it, you'll feel the air (like water). Next try it the same way and inhale as strong as you can. I'll bet you don't feel a thing. That's your rudder in when in reverse. If it can't feel the movement, it just don't work.

In flying, we call that a stall when airflow stops over the wings.

Sounds more like windshear.... Sailors know about stalls, right?
sg737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2011, 18:03   #17

Boat: Hunter 37.5 Legend

I'm in Florida and am berthed at a marina that has the short finger docks and pilings. Backing in is tricky single handed, but by using the prop walk to help turn in, its doable. Remember, "Slow is Pro". Also, I have a Hunter with a strong toe rail/bump strip.
Old 27-10-2011, 18:10   #18

I just realized my post sounded waaaay sarcastic- sorry!! I really appreciate all the input!!

[QUOTE=sg737;805517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
See how it works for you, but I've found that trying to back a sailboat into anywhere is very tricky. You essentially have no rudder. Try this experiment. Place your hand vertically in front of your mouth, like a rudder. First blow on it, you'll feel the air (like water). Next try it the same way and inhale as strong as you can. I'll bet you don't feel a thing. That's your rudder in when in reverse. If it can't feel the movement, it just don't work.

In flying, we call that a stall when airflow stops over the wings.

Sounds more like windshear.... Sailors know about stalls, right?
Old 01-11-2011, 00:58   #19

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Would the marina let you customize the slip a bit? Some line, and a bit of padding on the uprights might do the trick.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:42   #20

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"

Start your backing up manouver farther out so that when you get near the slip you can slip the transmission into neutral to remove prop walk and coast into the slip with more control.Then use a short blast of forward to stop in the slip.

Phil
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:29   #21

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg737 View Post
Most of the marinas I've seen have a short (half-boat-length,) finger on one side, and 3 pilings on the other side.... How do you park with pilings? I'm not looking for where to put lines- I've read those threads. I guess what I'm wondering is- is it OK to let the boat rub a little on the wood pilings until the lines are secure? I can't imagine having fenders in just the right spot as the boat enters the slip. Is fiberglass on wood not that big of a deal? Can I put some kind of cushion on the piling?

Thanks everyone!

SG
We also go in stern-to. As others have said, "walking" lines connecting each piling helps a lot. We also have these on each piling:

TAYLOR MADE Dock & Post Bumpers at West Marine

Whoever had the slip before us installed them, but they really are handy and you don't have to worry about kissing the pilings while pulling in. This is especially nice for us since we are just over 13 ft beam, and our slip is just under 15 ft. piling to piling.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:38   #22

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

I guess I just prefer having a boat with sufficient rubrails to not worry about having to use pilings to assist in docking.

And before those of you lying, I can dock anytime, anywhere boasters say there's no need for that...sooner or later you get into situations where you are going to hit stuff through no fault of your own...better the rubrail than the side of your boat.

I've been teaching hands on docking for over 10 years now (hundreds of students in all kinds of boats) and I always wind up saying...when things are tough...the pilings are your friend...go up to them and kiss them gently...because if you avoid them and then need them quickly...they will smack your sorry butt!!!! And usually leave enough damage it isn't worth it!!!

Though concrete pilings are tough...those I would try to pad! Though that's usually the reason for rubrails because you can't always either modify the pilings or trying to slip in with fenders will just hang you up.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:45   #23

Run lines between the pilings

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:15   #24

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Had fun getting my boat into a slip; The wind was contrary and would move the bow around in any direction but where I wanted. Ended up back into the slip by catching a line on the first piling and used that line to help control the bow by using the amidship cleat. That cleat use held the bow where I wanted it and the boat backed in fine. Neighbors from ajacent slips helped with the lines.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:38   #25

That's what I was looking for!

Thanks- I'm not worried about getting the boat in the slip- just that bit of rubbing that might occur while getting the lines secure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
We also go in stern-to. As others have said, "walking" lines connecting each piling helps a lot. We also have these on each piling:

TAYLOR MADE Dock & Post Bumpers at West Marine

Whoever had the slip before us installed them, but they really are handy and you don't have to worry about kissing the pilings while pulling in. This is especially nice for us since we are just over 13 ft beam, and our slip is just under 15 ft. piling to piling.

Frank
Old 03-11-2011, 10:01   #26
Armchair Bucketeer

As already said, a Fender Board depending on the dock could maybe even get away being fixed to the pilings.

And a fender board does not have to be solid...........Mine is wood (2x1 rough softwood) and serves a triple purpose, as a ladder (it collapses down for stowage), as a fender board ("don't worry about having only a couple of baby sized fenders when tied alongside - I have a fender board. and some tyres ") and as spare wood for bracing or whatever other "bodge" jobs are needed whilst on the go.

Not the easiest item to set up, but was cheap
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:01   #27

Boat: Pearson 26

I have nothing to add to the subject - sorry. But I was wondering if it isn't, in fact, "better" (as far as privacy goes) to pull into the slip bow first to keep the dock-walkers from snooping/gawking etc..
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:05   #28

Yep- I like that idea too!

Great suggestions to apply once I actually get the boat and see what really works best in the particular slip....

Thanks everyone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
As already said, a Fender Board depending on the dock could maybe even get away being fixed to the pilings.

And a fender board does not have to be solid...........Mine is wood (2x1 rough softwood) and serves a triple purpose, as a ladder (it collapses down for stowage), as a fender board ("don't worry about having only a couple of baby sized fenders when tied alongside - I have a fender board. and some tyres ") and as spare wood for bracing or whatever other "bodge" jobs are needed whilst on the go.

Not the easiest item to set up, but was cheap
Old 03-11-2011, 10:08   #29

I completely agree- but it looks like, with the "half-finger" slip, the lifeline gate would be over the water, making boarding really difficult....

I have busted my A#$ stepping over the lifelines, and accidentally right on the jib-sheet.... Woulda made a great you-tube video, though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
I have nothing to add to the subject - sorry. But I was wondering if it isn't, in fact, "better" (as far as privacy goes) to pull into the slip bow first to keep the dock-walkers from snooping/gawking etc..
Old 03-11-2011, 10:15   #30

Boat: Cape Dory 28 (Sold Nov 2019)
Re: Docking questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg737 View Post
Thanks for all the tips everyone... keep 'em coming!!
Why tie up stern to? It's less private, more complicated, and with sailboats, it more or less goes against nature. Invest in a longer shore power cord.

Tags
Docking