Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2012, 18:59   #961

Boat: too many
re: Cruise Ship Costa Concordia - MERGED THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado6x6 View Post
I saw the Discovery special as well, they portray that the ship went back to shore solely by the wind sail area upon the superstructure, no mention of thrusters or the dropping of the anchor.

I wished they could have shown an animation of what it would have looked like when the engine room is suddenly opened up like a sardine can.

Overall I think it was a pretty good documentary though, and many people are waking up to just how bad things can go wrong very quickly on such a big ship. On some forums many posters are actually posting that they are retreating from booking a cruise. They don't trust the system anymore and I would take the same stance.

These cruise ships treat you like cattle, you are nothing but a product that is to be moved from point A to point B. People are realizing that in most major marine disasters it has a recurring theme that the passengers in most cases will have to fend for themselves.

I just don't get the whole cruise ship thing anyway, must be because of my steerage way salary I make I guess.
I guess you are aware that over at CC they have been closing huge threads on it as fast as they can. Now there is whole new forum for just discussing the Costa Concordia, so these folks can finally keep a post history going. In fact today was the first day of the new forum and they already have more posts in 12 hours than we do from the start. If you want a place that serves all the links, all day, of anything Concordia related, this is the shiny new forum for you.

The Captain's Table - Login

Tell 'em "deckofficer" sent ya, and its like Denny's, open 24 hours serving up gossip, links, and facts.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 08:21   #962

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

According to this mornings paper, divers have found 4 more bodies. However they can't recover them at the moment as the weather is getting worse, and dive operations are called off.

total now 21, with 19 still unaccounted for.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 08:59   #963

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
According to this mornings paper, divers have found 4 more bodies. However they can't recover them at the moment as the weather is getting worse, and dive operations are called off.

total now 21, with 19 still unaccounted for.
It has been widely reported that 17 bodies have been recovered and 15 are missing for a total of 32 possible fatalities. Once four more are recovered, it is most likely 21 dead bodies recovered, and 11 missing unless there are eight more who were not previously included. There was an issue raised of "guests" that were not on the manifest, but I would expect that they would have that sorted out by now.
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 09:28   #964

Here is a further update. I think that the count is now 25 bodies recovered and 7 missing . . . .
Name: COSTA CONCORDIA Costa Concordia - Type of ship: Passenger ship - Callsign: IBHD - vesseltracker.com
IMO: 9320544
Time: 22-02-2012 17:10:45 UTC

NEWS:
On Feb 22 divers recovered eight more bodies in the flooded region of the wreck. Among them was also one Italian child. All bodies were on deck 4 from where the passengers were evacuated on Feb 13. The bodies were taken to Grosseto for an autopsy.

Old 22-02-2012, 11:33   #965

Boat: 33ft sloop

There are in total 8 bodies found as per today.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 18:14   #966

Boat: Ct 37
They must be getting pretty nasty by now
Pato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 22:32   #967

Boat: too many

Sad part is the 5 year old girl was one of the 8. I saw a video that a person on that ship id'ed her in the video at a muster station, but her dad, a recent transplant recipient went back to their cabin to get his meds because he didn't think they would be available on the island. It is speculated that he took her with him to the cabin.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2012, 06:18   #968

Very sad indeed. And to proof what?

It was fairly regular business zooming in on those hazardous spots.
Old 23-02-2012, 06:35   #969

The investigation expands to others . . . .
Name: COSTA CONCORDIA Costa Concordia - Type of ship: Passenger ship - Callsign: IBHD - vesseltracker.com
Time: 23-02-2012 08:05:44 UTC

NEWS:
As Reuters reports, Italian prosecutors placed four ship's officers and three company executives under investigation Wednesday in connection with the Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster as divers found eight more bodies on the wreck including that of a 5-year-old girl. The officers and executives from Costa Cruises, the stricken vessel's operator, join the ship's captain Francesco Schettino and first officer Ciro Ambrosio who are being formally investigated. A spokesman for the company would not identify the new group of defendants. More at Rome expands cruise ship probe as bodies found | Reuters
Old 23-02-2012, 19:08   #970

I know all of those involved have a part in the guilt but it seems they are taking the brunt & all the company will do is pay out some cash and be off the hook. (even if they go under I'm sure they will take enough cash to be ok). There should have been a definite company policy but instead sailing close to the coast was done more than once-so the company obviously accepted it. It's just such a shame all this happened.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 06:28   #971

Here is an update from Smit.
Thursday 23 February 2012
Since the pumping commenced, the oil removal process has progressed well and at a steady rate. Oil has been removed from all six forward tanks and the hoses, pumps and valves have been disconnected with the flanges sealed off. Following the successful oil removal from the forward ship, the crane barge was disconnected and brought back into the sheltered port on Monday morning. The fuel tanker 'Elba' into which the fuel was pumped has moved away from the Costa Concordia and a second fuel barge 'Magic Duba' is standby to replace the 'Elba'.

Since Monday, the wind and wave conditions have hampered the continuation of the oil removal process. As soon as the weather permits, the crane barge will be repositioned alongside the Costa Concordia. Based on the current planning, the mid-ship tanks containing MGO and two double bottom sludge tanks will have the next priority. These tanks will also be emptied using the hot tap method. Due to the unpredictable weather conditions, we cannot provide an estimated date of completion.
Old 25-02-2012, 07:30   #972

They are removing diesel again . . . . .
Time: 25-02-2012 14:41:52 UTC

NEWS:
On Feb 24 at 06:00 a.m. the cran barge "Meloria" was moored at the stern of the "Costa Concordia" to insert new vents in three tanks with 160 cbm fuel. If weather permits, the extraaction of fuel may start on Feb 26. In the night of Feb 25, Smit and Neri pumped out 140m³ diesel from other tanks while the works on the vents continued.

Old 27-02-2012, 11:09   #973

Boat: Sold Sigma 33 OOD some time ago, will be chartering in Turkey really soon

Costa Cruise Ship Adrift off Seychelles, Fire Breaks Out in Engine Room | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore

Bad luck or lack of competence?
Old 27-02-2012, 11:36   #974

Lack of competent staff. My idea. After the disaster of Concordia, I could be dreaming up a scenario of hard scrutinizing the crew that handles the ships that swerve around. Not so Costa apparently. The continuous story of a company that seems not to know how to manage their ships.
Ships must be as effective in operational security and ability as well as aircraft does.
Old 27-02-2012, 11:41   #975

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG
Lack of competent staff. My idea. After the disaster of Concordia, I could be dreaming up a scenario of hard scrutinizing the crew that handles the ships that swerve around. Not so Costa apparently. The continuous story of a company that seems not to know how to manage their ships.
Ships must be as effective in operational security and ability as well as aircraft does.
Agreed. Amazing hope people keep boarding their vessels.
DJBrookster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cruise, cruise ship