Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 10:41   #1

Boat: Scout 30
Beyond The West Horizon

Great video of the Hiscock's journey around the world aboard Wanderer III in the 50's. I guess they'd have a YouTube channel like Sailing Emerald Steel, one of my favorites, if they were around today but instead they wrote some of the greatest cruising books ever.

Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2017, 19:33   #2

Re: Beyond The West Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
We have a friend who is a
Ear, Noise, and Throat doctor. He was anchored in the galooogos
Do you me Galapagos? I saw that you have an Atkin Cutter. Very cool boat.
Old 28-08-2017, 19:49   #3

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

[QUOTE=LEOCAT66;2466637]

Thank You Scout for this post. The Hiscocks are a legend for sure. We have all of their books but did not know about a video about their voyage, "Beyond The West Horizon." Is it really available?

We have a friend who is a Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor. He was anchored in the Galapagos Islands back many years ago. In the distance, coming toward him he saw a large ketch (large in its day) coming in from the east. As it came into the anchorage, he could see a male sailor working the foredeck and a female in the cockpit. After their anchor was set, the male rowed his dink over to my friends boat and asked if he knew if there was a doctor on the islands, as his wife had a terrible ear infection. My friend, being such a doctor ,went back to Wanderer 4, with Eric Hiscock, to see what he could do about Susan's ear problem. On the row back to Hiscock's boat he introduced himself. He was of course well known to most sailors, and was an icon and hero to my friend, who had read all of his books.

When, my friend, Bill Woods, told me this story, I asked him if he had any photos to convince me, to which he replied no. He told me to find a copy of Hiscock's "WELCOME ABOARD". Sure enough there was a paragraph or two, in which Eric Hiscock described the event just as Bill had described it, and there was Bill's name right on the page.

Eric Hiscock was one of the original small boat, long distance, cruisers who hooked a many of the old school sailors of his day, me being one.

He gear and methods were very basic by todays standards but were effective.
I believe he circumnavigated three times, twice on a 30' wooden boat with his wife Susan. He ranks right up there with Hal Roth, and the Smeatons, Chitchester, Robin Knox Johnson and Bernard Motessier, in my book.

He and Susan were "THE REAL DEAL"
Old 28-08-2017, 20:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Do you me Galapagos? I saw that you have an Atkin Cutter. Very cool boat.

Yes, I do. Tried to edit and delete two post which are still showing and finally was able to get it right. Have no idea what happened.

Thank You Scout. Yes, we have a William Atkin, Tally Ho Major, which was built in Minnesota in 1977.
Old 29-08-2017, 07:22   #5

[QUOTE=LEOCAT66;2466675][QUOTE=LEOCAT66;2466637]

Thank You Scout for this post. The Hiscocks are a legend for sure. We have all of their books but did not know about a video about their voyage, "Beyond The West Horizon." Is it really available?

Just click on the link above the picture & you can watch it on YouTube. I started reading the Pardeys back in the 70's. They really inspired me & then I learned that they were inspired by the Hiscocks. After reading their books I can see why. To me sailing the world in a wooden cutter is the epitome of cruising. Simple & pure.
Old 29-08-2017, 08:16   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

We had the opportunity of meeting the Hiscocks when they were in Sausalito on their trip around the world in Wanderer IV. They were berthed at our marina, for several months during the Spring of '69, and Eric would hold forth in their cockpit in the evenings, well lubricated with Scotch and keep everyone entertained with tales of their travels. It was a good time. And then, one day, they were gone. Into a foggy, wet early morning "to catch the tide at the Gate..."
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 08:58   #7

Couple more neat videos. The first is Lin & Larry remembering the Hiscocks & the second is the current owners of Wanderer III.

Old 29-08-2017, 16:27   #8

[QUOTE=Scout 30;2467025][QUOTE=LEOCAT66;2466675]
Quote:

Just click on the link above the picture & you can watch it on YouTube. I started reading the Pardeys back in the 70's. They really inspired me & then I learned that they were inspired by the Hiscocks. After reading their books I can see why. To me sailing the world in a wooden cutter is the epitome of cruising. Simple & pure.
Have viewed some of the video and would really like to secure a DVD or even a VHS tape to add to my Pardey video collection. One of the sites offers a rental or a purchase. It seems that both are down loads. Would really like a hard copy.
Old 29-08-2017, 17:20   #9

[QUOTE=LEOCAT66;2467376][QUOTE=Scout 30;2467025]
Quote:

Have viewed some of the video and would really like to secure a DVD or even a VHS tape to add to my Pardey video collection. One of the sites offers a rental or a purchase. It seems that both are down loads. Would really like a hard copy.
I found these instruction on how to save a youtube video to your hard drive. If it works you can then write it to a dvd. I never thought about doing this before but it would be a great way to add to the video library for the boat.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001002.htm
Old 29-08-2017, 17:27   #10

Just recently found the YouTube video , great watching after having read the books so many years ago , inspiring people .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2017, 19:00   #11

Thank You Scout, will give it a try.
Old 31-08-2017, 17:47   #12

[QUOTE=Scout 30;2467409][QUOTE=LEOCAT66;2467376]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post

I found these instruction on how to save a youtube video to your hard drive. If it works you can then write it to a dvd. I never thought about doing this before but it would be a great way to add to the video library for the boat.

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001002.htm
Scout, tried the method on two different computers several times, but could not find a way to make it work. Thank you again for your input. I have spoken to the sailing channel and they are planning a DVD for the near future, which will be for sale.
Old 31-08-2017, 20:10   #13

[QUOTE=LEOCAT66;2468835][QUOTE=Scout 30;2467409]
Quote:

Scout, tried the method on two different computers several times, but could not find a way to make it work. Thank you again for your input. I have spoken to the sailing channel and they are planning a DVD for the near future, which will be for sale.
That's good news. I'd like a copy myself. Try to post back to this thread when it happens. Carl
Old 01-09-2017, 01:56   #14

Boat: Oyster 66

[QUOTE=LEOCAT66;2468835][QUOTE=Scout 30;2467409]
Quote:

If you use the Firefox browser there are a number of add ons you can get that will allow you to download vids.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 05:39   #15

I thought I'd try to figure out if it's legal to do this. I know it's not legal to download original videos but not sure about old movies. Anyway it looks like you can download anything you want legally if you subscribe to YouTube Red. You can get it free for a month but after that there's a monthly fee. There are some great old boating related movies on YouTube.