Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 14:38   #16

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Best way to get experience?

Check out convair sailing club. It's probably the best deal in San Diego. Also there is a FB group for crew called sailors in San Diego crew pool.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 16:14   #17

One more thing if youre looking for a small boat that u can live on look at the Macgregors. I own a Mac25 but the Mac 26 would be my choice.
thericksster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 18:48   #18

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"

I learned by taking a Red Cross sailing course, and a CG Aux. Course.
Then bought a 21'trailer boat. Sailed it off the trailer the first year. 2nd year, I got a slip, and sailed it much more, and really learned to sail. Then I made the mistake, and bought a 26' boat. Should have bought the 35' boat then! Bought the 35' boat a year later and cruised for 7 years.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 15:09   #19

Boat: Whatever I can get on

Wow. So much helpful stuff. Moving forward, I'm thinking I'm going to get on other people's boats for a while until I get to the point I'd be comfortable sailing something smallish around solo. Then see what's available. The Hobie seems like it would be a lot of fun, but so does a 22 ft catalina (or other like model). Guess we'll have to see what's available when the time comes.

I've looked into the sailing clubs and honestly they're not really all that cheap. I know some are like $300/mo (includes 1 free rental) then $150 per rental. I'd rather just buy something small at that point. I'm also still working on my buddy. He's a broker and has a choate 41 he's been working on selling. I'm trying to help him realize he loves that boat and he needs to buy it.

I'm definitely going to check into the Coast Guard Auxiliary. That sounds like an excellent resource.

On the beer can races, I'm totally down. Unfortunately, I have shows most Wednesday nights. I'll definitely do the ones I can, but won't be able to rely on that too heavily. bummer...
Drifting Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 15:43   #20

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifting Gypsy View Post

I've looked into the sailing clubs and honestly they're not really all that cheap. I know some are like $300/mo (includes 1 free rental) then $150 per rental.
Convair is $400 annually and $8 an hour to rent a boat. Also includes instruction.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 07:00   #21

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

As a member of the coast guard auxiliary myself (flotilla 2-25 New London) you will not get ANY experience sailing. The coast guard auxiliary has a mission to support the coast guard itself, we share in every part of the coast guard's mission except for missions that include guns and forcible boardings. Sailing is not part of the coast guard's mission and there will be zero opportunity to go sailing or learn about sailing.

I do not wish to dissuade you from joining. The coast guard auxiliary is perhaps the best volunteer experience you can get and you do get out on the water performing patrols and rescue missions, and that's amazing. But if you are looking to get sailing experience from it and that's your driver, then don't waste your time because that's all you will be doing, wasting yours and the rest of the flotilla's time spent onboarding you, getting your clearances and suitabillities and background checks (I said we support all coast guard missions, and are a volunteer arm of the coast guard and therefore homeland security). In other words you'll be spending a lot of tax payer money to join just to find out it's not what you were looking for.

Again, I encourage everyone to join and help out, but make sure you are doing it for the right reasons, otherwise you are likely going to quit before you really get anywhere.
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc