Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2017, 12:43   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Balancing a boat after stowing heavy stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc7 View Post
... spare parts, fishing gear, computers, tool chest, etc.
While I commend you for trying to balance your boat, another approach is to not bring all that weight in the first place. Do you really need all that stuff?

And if you must bring it, don't forget about the people on your boat. Your crew sitting in the cockpit will likely counterbalance the weight forward, but heaven help you if you all go to the bow! As for side to side, I always carry lots of spare water in jugs. These are easily redistributed around the boat for balance.

Tools are quite heavy. Instead of one big jumbo toolbox, make several smaller kits...electrical, plumbing, woodworking, rigging, etc. You can place these easily around the boat, and you will find you have a neater system overall.

IMHO, the heavy items on the boat are water, fuel, waste tank, anchors+chain, dinghy, outboard, and crew. Don't forget about the crew!

I used to carry everything and anything...just in case. After a few years, I got most of that stuff off the boat. The boat sails better, is less cluttered, and is better balanced without all that junk. Remember, you own the stuff, the stuff does not own you!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 12:59   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I crossed the atlantic on a swan 48 that carried 13 extra sails which we opened, examined, folded, rolled and stowed. Thousands of pounds just in sails! The owner could not bear to part with a single one. The boat was full of sails! When a storm was approaching, I suggested we switch to a smaller jib and rig the storm tris'l. The owner was indignant...and refused. He said "We don't need to change the jib, we can just roll it up a little bit on the furler. And a deep reef in the main will take care of that". So why were we hauling around all those sails? I can understand a spare main, and maybe a spare jib and a storm jib. And maybe a storm tris'l if your boat can rig one. And a spinnaker, or two if you like to race. But all that is still only 6 sails. There was also a heavy canvas winter cover, and a heavy sun tent which covered most of the boat (to protect the new teak decks). Plus the bimini, old bimini, old dodger...you get the picture, right?

Soon after we got to Antigua he put the boat up for sale. After two years of price drops, the boat was finally sold. The spare sails were all included, still neatly folded.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 14:39   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD-Odyssey View Post
After having a genset installed some years ago, I noticed our boat listing to port (with water tanks and fuel tank filled and holding tank empty). I made the assumption that my mast was perpendicular to the deck of the boat and strapped a level to it (on a calm day) to confirm I wasn't imagining things.
Poor assumption. Before putting a level to the mast, a good idea would have been to run a halyard to the toe rail on both sides and confirm that the mast was perpendicular.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 17:14   #19

Boat: Catalina 350

Top of Mind
I think if I suspected a lean the first thing I'd do is weight a string or like and take a mark on the deck (hull/deck interface) when the top of the weight just immersed in the water (ensures tautness) then do likewise at the same point on the other side. Not accurate to a mm but close enough. Obviously this wouldn't work for comparisons between fore and aft. Again, top of mind only, I'd think it best to take measurements with everything half full because that averages liquid weights out. Redo the basic measurement above and top up liquid into the higher side until 'balanced'. Then you might want to weigh everything before placement to ensure what you add is even to both sides.

I'm sure someone will come up with a more practical and useful method.
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 09:38   #20

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Re: Inclinometers. There's an app for that. I use it all the time. Depending on the use, the only tricky part is deciding what is "zero." The one for iPhone that's just called "inclinometer" even has a voice calling out the measurements, so you can hear the effect while you're moving stuff around the boat.

My 10K lb boat has a distinct port list, which drives me crazy. Because the galley, sail locker chart table, electrical panel, and all associated fixed equipment are all on the port side. I guess the empty seats on the starboard side are supposed to balance when they're full of meat. But usually it's just me.

It drives me nuts when I have a piece of gear to install and the only place it really fits is... on the port side! But according to the inclinometer, if I lay down on the starboard settee, the list disappears. As long as the water tank isn't empty. I'm seriously considering moving the batteries over there, especially if I expand the bank. But just adding otherwise useless ballast doesn't really appeal to me. The discrepancy is small enough that just paying attention while stowing cruising provisions should probably even things out.
So it sounds like the best way to correct your list is to just take a nap. I so love a simple solution!
Old 25-04-2017, 09:43   #21

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Poor assumption. Before putting a level to the mast, a good idea would have been to run a halyard to the toe rail on both sides and confirm that the mast was perpendicular.
That's a nice quick and simple check. A true vertical mast is not a given.

Tags
boat