Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 12:48   #1

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.
Anchor types and General questions

I seek the experience of you guys to help me make a new anchor choice. I had a Spade anchor which was OK until I recently had an incident that destroyed the "arm" (I don't know the proper term). I called spade and a replacement is $400 for just that piece, so I have started looking at alternatives. I see a wide array of types and prices and wanted some opinions and experience.

Mantus is my desired anchor at about $500.

CQR anchors are $350 new, see them on Craigslist for $75

A delta style anchor on ebay for about $120 New 44 lb 20 kg Galvanized Steel Delta Style Boat Anchor Boats from 38-48 feet | eBay

Any thoughts on a used CQR or on the ebay anchor?

FYI 43 ft. Hunter as pictured to the left
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 13:02   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Anchor types and General questions

Spade anchors has a member on here who's a regular, you might try discussing the issue with him. As normally they have a great warranty. Is the anchor aluminum by chance? I so that may be a sticking point. But it can't hurt to ask.

As to the other anchors mentioned, my vote's for the Mantus. It'll have the best holding, by far, of any of the ones named. Though the catch is whether or not it'll fit in your roller/on your bow.

If you go with a Delta, get something bigger than 20kg. Ditto CQRs. As their sizing charts are optimistic, at best. And if you're buying a CQR sight unseen, enwure that it actually is one, as there are all kinds of CQR clones out there. The same's true with Delta's, which the one in the ebay link isn't the genuine article.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 13:10   #3

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Thanks, I knew the ebay one is a china fake, hence the price....but the price is nice.

The spade is the aluminum one and I wasn't going to spend that kind of money on it when its older and pitted and has a few cracks. I have a pretty big bow roller and it should fit....but it is a concern. The spade had about 1 inch clearance.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 13:25   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

With many/most of the new gen anchors, you can download templates of the anchors. And then transfer those patterns to cheap plywood or foam in order to see how well a certain anchor will fit. Or if it won't, what kind of mod's you'd need to make to your roller to acommodate it.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:20   #5

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Read up on CQR. They are one of the worst performing; I just gave mine away. I have a Manson Supreme and a Fortress secondary.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:22   #6

Boat: Pearson

I have used a danforth and a grappnel( good forged one) since my hair was brown, now its white and have always been fine. cheap is for a reason sometimes, anchor styles are like hairstyles.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:30   #7

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

I can vouch for the Vulcan from Rocna. We have a 33kg "beast" on our 40ft and it holds like a limpet. If it helps with dimensions the shank length on the 33kg Vulcan is about the same (slightly shorter actually) than a 16kg Delta.

Our neighbour has a 20kg Vulcan on his Halberg Rassey which he swapped from an original CQR and he has been totally convinced of the crap performance of the CQR. "I can't believe how quickly the Vulcan sets" were his words first time he used it.

Rocna have all the dimensions for both the Vulcan and the original Roll Bar anchor on their website

Hope that helps

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:42   #8

Boat: voyage Mayotte 50 ft cat

I will also be replacing my anchor and am thus in the same situation as the original post. I am leaning towards a Rocna. However, why would one choose as Vulcan as apposed to a Rocna or vice versa? In as much as there are anchors that definitely do not function well, just like my existing CQR, are there anchors that are deemed exceptionally good / the best performing? I appreciate that it is a controversial question in as much as is subjective. However, the opinion of the many old salts who know better will be appreciated.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:58   #9

Boat: Sabre 30

Rocna and Vulcan are designed by the same people, I think their recommendation is the Classic unless you have a clearance issue. I myself just went through this and ended up getting a galvanized Spade because of the potential issue reported by AAC.

Rocna has a terrific website for some of this stuff, by the way.. Anchors and Anchoring – Articles on Boat Anchors
dirtloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:21   #10

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
I seek the experience of you guys to help me make a new anchor choice. I had a Spade anchor which was OK until I recently had an incident that destroyed the "arm" (I don't know the proper term). I called spade and a replacement is $400 for just that piece, so I have started looking at alternatives. I see a wide array of types and prices and wanted some opinions and experience.

Mantus is my desired anchor at about $500.

CQR anchors are $350 new, see them on Craigslist for $75

A delta style anchor on ebay for about $120 New 44 lb 20 kg Galvanized Steel Delta Style Boat Anchor Boats from 38-48 feet | eBay

Any thoughts on a used CQR or on the ebay anchor?

FYI 43 ft. Hunter as pictured to the left
Of all the anchors you like or called out, MANTUS would be the way to go and they have a LIFE TIME WARRANTY
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:27   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

ad CQR: please keep in mind that the CQR was introduced thru the, Royal Navy in the 17th century during the Brit./NL war. They used it as a drag to slowly MOVE down River Themse.

So it was never intended to use this devices as anchors!
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:28   #12

Boat: Sea Ray 420 AC

I bought a Mantis. Best anchor I've ever had. Sets instantly every time and has never drug on a 50000 pound boat. So much better then the Delta I had.
Monepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:52   #13

Boat: Lots of boats.

What about a Rocna (Mantis) look alike?

https://www.amazon.com/MarineNow-Gal...XY/?th=1&psc=1
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:02   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
ad CQR: please keep in mind that the CQR was introduced thru the, Royal Navy in the 17th century during the Brit./NL war. They used it as a drag to slowly MOVE down River Themse.

So it was never intended to use this devices as anchors!
The old worn out 20 lb CQR that came with my old boat has saved me many times in bad anchorages with 25 knot plus onshore winds. Waves (choppy bay waves) of 3' plus..........with tide change every 6 hours or so. Must be the muddy bottom, the fact I was in about 8'-10' of water and with lots of scope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01813.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	147607  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:02   #15

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsi88 View Post
What about a Rocna (Mantis) look alike?

https://www.amazon.com/MarineNow-Gal...XY/?th=1&psc=1
Cheap anchors are like cheap insurance. They work just fine until you actually need then, and then they become less than worthless. I would not recommend a cheap eBay/Amazon anchor to protect your boat.

Personally I like Rocna, and use one as my primary anchor. I have a Fortress storm/backup anchor, and cannot praise their customer service highly enough. But anchors are like religion - everyone has their own beliefs about what is the best, and all others suck. If anyone tells you that their personal favorite is the only one to consider, don't let that sway you. Do your research, and find the anchor that best matches your boat and style of cruising.

-David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor