Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 09:34   #91
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37
Re: Advisability Sailing to Bimini in December on a Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
As the video says - Morning following a proper Noreaster....

Sorry. All the cruisers that I have met would not be crossing to Bimini with that weather window. But, I guess you would blame it on "MURPHY", which seems to find his name in so many of your posts......

Do you think everyone here is an idiot?

Ralph
Not everyone, just some. If you haven't come to that conclusion after reading threads on Blue Water and Water boats">Blue Water Boats I guess you too have reading comprehension issues.

BZT
PS As far as Murphy goes, if you haven't met up yet...... you will. Make sure your Hunter is up to snuff.
PPS Do you known your name is mentioned more often than Murphys's when caught in the ****. I cured myself of that with Transderm scop. There is no cure for Murphy.
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:45   #92
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZT54 View Post
Not everyone, just some. If you haven't come to that conclusion after reading threads on Blue Water and Blue Water Boats I guess you too have reading comprehension issues.

Sorry, don't read every thread. I do have a problem with you saying that I have reading comprehension issues. You really need to watch what you type.

BZT
PS As far as Murphy goes, if you haven't met up yet...... you will. Make sure your Hunter is up to snuff.
I'll take care of my boat, and she'll take care of me. If something goes wrong, it's on me.....Murphy has nothing to do with it.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:48   #93
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Watched the video long enough to hear this was 100 miles off Charleston and the day following a nor'easter.

You can post 1000 examples of storms, nor'easters, cold fronts or whatever in the Gulf Stream and all that proves is something we all know and agree on, the Gulf Stream is nasty in the wrong weather. Weather that is well forecast and easily avoidable in a crossing to Bimini from FL.

I would note that 100 miles out in the open Atlantic from Charleston has nothing to do with 50 miles total from FL to the Bahamas.

So once again as almost every single person that has posted on this thread has said "don't go out in the Gulf Stream before, during or after a front." By the way, the same advice applies whether you are sailing a WWP 19 or a even heavy, full keel, double ender.

One more time now, follow that very simple rule and you won't get hammered in the Gulf Stream.

Well at the risk of being obvious but for sake of being thorough I guess I have to add don't go out in the middle of a hurricane or major thunderstorm either.
Posting a video is a great way to show possible conditions. In my case the seas were worse; short, steep, breaking and we had to run before them. Therefore your 50 versus 100 mile reference is irrelevant.

The OP needs to see it all and not be encouraged to cross based on pics of the stream that give a false sense of security. The funny thing is that someone showing the stream at its best is not criticized, while I showing it for what it could be, is. Gee Skip, can't we just get along.

The OP has been given enough information to make his own educated decision. I think we have beaten this tread to death and I for one am finished (applause). Are You?

BZT
BZT54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini, sail, sailing