Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 00:06   #1

Boat: Hobie Tandem Island
Yachting Soul Trapped in a Motor Cruising Body

Hi everybody!

Writing to introduce ourselves, Annie, Les and Dean the Dog. Busy with preparations to leave suburbia for an indefinite period cruising Australia's East Coast (Starting point Scarbrough, Moreton Bay), aboard our 40 ft Markline (Yay go Kiwi boats!). Initially we plan to hang out in the Clarence River for a while then head toward Sydney (more likely Port Hacking) once the worst of winter is over. Currently however we seem trapped in an endless loop of preparations to make the boat habitable for us, and the home unit habitable for tenants. Still, I'm sure we'll get away in the end. Fascinated to read of everybody's experiences here and look forward to meeting some of you afloat, and many more on-line.

Something we are planning to do a little differently is to shadow the boat with a motor vehicle, moving from base to base, and the vehicle will be towing…….the other boat! We recently bought a Hobie Tandem Island sailing kayak/trimaran to add a little excitement and some much needed sailing to our lives, so it will be following us to Iluka and we look forward to whizzing around on it there, then heading back to the Mother Ship for hot showers, dinner and other home comforts.

Very interested to learn more about the practicalities of cruising life, e.g. mail, finances, casual jobs, pets, visitors etc etc. See you all afloat, Annie.
Kiwiscanswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 00:56   #2

Boat: Various
Re: Yachting Soul Trapped in a Motor Cruising Body

Actually I've read books of many who shadowed with a vehicle. One couple did it through the canals of Europe. Used a Van and carried a bicycle. So they would actually move the Van, bicycle back, and get on the boat rather than one person on land and one on the water.

Mail is often either forwarded by a friend or relative or in the US we have forwarding services. One thing you can do too if you have a service or someone you trust, just have them scan and email what you want.

Finances. More. Actually not. You can go amazingly inexpensively depending on your style. Anchoring, eating on the boat. No bars with drinks at triple price, modest entertainment.

Casual Jobs. What skills do you have that might be useful?

Pets. Are you taking a dinghy to get the dog ashore or planning on docking at marinas? Many people travel with dogs but they do require extra care and effort.

Visitors. Not as many as you'd think. Others are working. Make sure your visitors know what it's like. Don't expect to be treated like royalty. Know the rules of the boat. Know sleeping is crowded, water is precious and may be limited, hot water may be more so.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:57   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ah, well,

you myserious Kiwis, Annie. Our boat is in our avatars, and we sail the east coast of Australia a lot.

If you see us (Monohull, dark red sail covers, solent rig, lighest possible grey hull), make yourselves known.

And....WELCOME ABOARD!!

Ann & Jim
Old 13-05-2014, 05:59   #4

Boat: Hobie Tandem Island

Thanks so much, Ann and Jim. Will look out for you (had to look up Solent Rig, but I think I know now, twin headsails, 2nd one very close to the first ??????)

Please tell me, I notice you chose not to show your boat's name, is that a sensible precaution, maybe against the maritime equivalent of junk mail? Very green in these matters, willing to learn!

Heard today that the raw water pumps will be reconditioned by the end of the week, hopefully that is the last mechanical hurdle!
Kiwiscanswim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2014, 12:23   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Old 24-08-2014, 13:56   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiscanswim View Post
Thanks so much, Ann and Jim. Will look out for you (had to look up Solent Rig, but I think I know now, twin headsails, 2nd one very close to the first ??????)

Please tell me, I notice you chose not to show your boat's name, is that a sensible precaution, maybe against the maritime equivalent of junk mail? Very green in these matters, willing to learn!

Heard today that the raw water pumps will be reconditioned by the end of the week, hopefully that is the last mechanical hurdle!
I dunno why Ann does not have our boat's name in her avatar blurb. I have since joining and (so far) have felt no ill effects. In fact, we've met quite a few CF folks who recognized the name (Insatiable II) and came to say g'day. We also openly use our real names, and some like to hide behind a pseudonym. I try not to post anything that I would n't say in person, and don't really understand the desire for anonymity.

Back to sailing: enjoy the Clarence, and don't just stay in Iluka! It is a great trip up the river, through some lovely countryside, and with some very pleasant towns to visit as you go. McLean, Ulmarra, Lawrence... all have something to offer, and the folks are friendly. With a non-masted boat you don't even have to deal with opening the bridge.

Oh... one practical hint: if you need fuel, the Iluka boat shed (where the ferry picks up passengers) has fuel at just over service station prices. The marina at Yamba is often 30 to 40 cents/litre higher!

Have a good cruise!

Jim

Tags
cruising, motor, yacht