Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2018, 04:35   #1

Waited Too Long?

Hello everyone! I am Sterling and am wondering if I will ever get a boat and sail...I sailed as a kid for several years. Mostly racing around Fla, back and forth to the Bahamas a couple of times, and up and down the Indian River. I loved it and wanted to pursue it, but didn't.
Now 42 yrs later I am craving the water. I should be able to cash out in a few years, so I am beginning my search for that perfect boat. Anyway, thanks for having me, and keep in touch.
Old 23-08-2018, 04:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Waited Too Long?

Yup.. your screwed.. invest in a quality Zimmer instead.. and an electric wheelchair..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 05:03   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Waited Too Long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingCannon View Post
Hello everyone! I am Sterling and am wondering if I will ever get a boat and sail...I sailed as a kid for several years. Mostly racing around Fla, back and forth to the Bahamas a couple of times, and up and down the Indiana River. I loved it and wanted to pursue it, but didn't.
Now 42 yrs later I am craving the water. I should be able to cash out in a few years, so I am beginning my search for that perfect boat. Anyway, thanks for having me, and keep in touch.
Hurry before it’s too late
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CE067659-55AB-43A0-9656-C61D63D06CA3.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	175973  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 06:07   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Jeeze Guys--Nothing like Positive Encouragement eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 06:48   #5

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
pirate Re: Waited Too Long?

Don't let them stress you out. "MOST" things said here are in good fun. I just turned 50 and we are going to close tomorrow on our 40' boat. I have been waiting 15 years. So you have plenty of time.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 07:00   #6

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

I understand your position. My story is the same basic one. I still can't pin point why I slipped away from sailing but did. I am 48 years old now and in the past year or so have gotten back into it. Bareboat chartering a few times with more scheduled and recently started sailing via a local sailing club (Atlanta area). Sounds like you may be closer to cashing out then me. My obtainable target it 55. I own my own business and can't just quit (I might if I could) I know it isn't long but everyday it feels further away rather then closer. I am so ready for a change but it just doesn't make sense to pull the plug earlier at this point. Hopefully as the next years go by I can find more time for sailing. I will get there relatively soon.

Good luck and keep focusing on getting back to the sport/activity/lifestyle you love.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 08:33   #7
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Sterling! Welcome Aboard CF!

You are not alone in having a long held dream of owning a big sailboat and living the cruising life. Most of the people on this forum started the same way.

So, enjoy your time learning what you can on CF and then enjoy your time on the water too.

Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 08:42   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Sounds like that puts you in your 60s. This seems to be about the average age most folks in North America manage to make the leap.

So... not too late at all.
Old 23-08-2018, 10:14   #9

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Personally, I think it depends on your attitude and expectations. If you have trepidation about whether you're up for buying, maintaining and navigating a sailboat, will you feel even more pressure once you do? If you expect broad reaches under sunny skies will you feel disappointed when you're sailing at night into a squall? If you're anticipating leisure will you be frustrated with dealing with nonstop chores and repairs?

We have met more than a few cruisers who seem to do nothing but complain and I get the feeling that they're not enjoying themselves. I believe that those who appreciate the cruising lifestyle the most are those who can expect the unexpected, roll with the weather and the punches and laugh at their own mistakes. Once you own a boat, it's almost guaranteed that you'll misjudge more than a few things - you might break something - but it's part of the learning process. If you can be comfortable with that, then I'd encourage you to proceed.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 13:31   #10

Hey foster. Thanks. I might be a little off on the cash-out timing, but I am headed to a sail boat soon.
Old 23-08-2018, 13:32   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Jeeze Guys--Nothing like Positive Encouragement eh?
He started it.

We retired three years ago. We bought Roxy eight years ago and spent five fixing it. We joined the Salty Dawgs in Hampton, Virginia and sailed to the Caribbean. I think the average age in the Dawgs is around 60. The other end is young folks home schooling their kids.

Hope you find a way to be on the water.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 13:34   #12

I am agreeing with you my friend. I’ve been raising 4 kids on my own for awhile now, 3 girls and a boy. My youngest will graduate in 7 years. I am expecting to be able to handle a bunch after all this. Thanks
Old 23-08-2018, 13:35   #13

Thank you sir!
Old 23-08-2018, 13:36   #14

Yea! Thanks.
SterlingCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2018, 14:09   #15
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

NEVER waste time dreaming. Get a used sailing dinghy now and enjoy some of what you did as a kid. You can get a nice one cheap and sell it in 5 years for what you paid for it, and in the mean time, it will help you learn more about the dream; what you like and what you don't like.

A real sailor will not let himself be completely trapped on land. Just do it, but do it now and do it small.

Don't you want to go sailing with your kids? That's the best part!