Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2012, 15:30   #46

Boat: William Garden Ketch
Re: Sailing out of Singapore

Hey Dan I have been visiting or posting on this site much lately. Glad to see you are still active also glad to hear CSC has more boats going out again. It is pretty in Changi and the village is great as well. Raffles is pretty but is a bit out there. Interesting though I found it quicker to drive between Changi and Raflles than Either 1-15 or RSYC (too many lights on Clementi road).

Cheers

Mark
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 15:41   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SariTimur View Post
Hey Dan I have been visiting or posting on this site much lately. Glad to see you are still active also glad to hear CSC has more boats going out again. It is pretty in Changi and the village is great as well. Raffles is pretty but is a bit out there. Interesting though I found it quicker to drive between Changi and Raflles than Either 1-15 or RSYC (too many lights on Clementi road).

Cheers

Mark
I have had a mad 4th quarter with a lot of travel. Once again I am off Wenesday for holidays then work and won't be back until early Feb! I always miss the best of the NE Monsoon every year (sigh)...

There is a lot of construction going on around Raffles right now I hear. I forget if it is hotels or housing, maybe an MRT station(?) but definitely should lift membership prices over time.

Yeah. Even without the sailing Changi Village is a good wander around. Roti Prata in the morning, a couple of nice restaurants for lunch and various types of trouble at night...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 17:07   #48

Boat: William Garden Ketch

Whoops my last post says I have not been posting for a while.

Missing the NE monsoon is a shame. My favorite time of the year in Singers!
SariTimur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 19:21   #49

Thank for you alls responses. First up for me when i am back in Singapore after Christamas holidays will be to spend time in the local marinas. See you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I agree with SariTimur that Raffles has a good sailing scene. However yesterday at CSC we had 20 boats out for our weekly race in 3 classes. There is a cans race or passage race every weekend. We are also slowly organizing some event related racing around key holidays and are trying to get some cruising organized.

Yesterday we had drift, then storm, then light winds over the 6 hour passage race. We did about 20 miles or so to the causeway and back. Raffles has the advantage that they have a big open area and I find CSC more picturesque. Sailing at Changi is about managing currents, tides and winds. During the NE monsoon I think Changi is the best. During southwest the southern side of the island is better. Many guys move their boats around. It's not as if it's very far to drive to any marina.

Second the idea to visit some clubs and check things out. Keelboat guys are always short of crew and if you are reliable and make yourself useful it is not hard to land a permanent spot.
Btdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 23:10   #50

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
Originally Posted by SariTimur View Post
Whoops my last post says I have not been posting for a while.

Missing the NE monsoon is a shame. My favorite time of the year in Singers!
Hi Mark

I'm coming to Guam this week on the 21st. Are you still there? If so, and fancy meeting up why not PM me? I can ring you when there.

M
Old 17-12-2012, 02:31   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btdi View Post
Thank for you alls responses. First up for me when i am back in Singapore after Christamas holidays will be to spend time in the local marinas. See you there.
Hello,
A lot of sailing activity in SG. Picture taken few minutes ago near Lazarus.
From right to left: a Lagoon 450, a Lagoon 400 and a FP Salina 48 I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3906093930.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	323.8 KB
ID:	51329
Old 29-04-2013, 22:58   #52

For those of you who anchor in St. John's over the weekend be aware that it is foul ground. Saturday morning I picked up a steel basket (for lack of other description) covered in coral and about 3x3x2 ft. Heavy, but the anchor winch was man enough to lift it to water level.
Monday afternoon, I picked up a steel cable end, couldn't believe the bad luck.
I dislodged both and dropped them on the western side of the anchorage area as I had no other options.

M
Old 30-04-2013, 00:56   #53

Boat: Riviera 33'

Ok so let me pick the collective Singapore brains here.

Apart from the obvious St Johns/Lazarus/Kusu islands, are there any other decent beach destinations for a day out? Is it possible to anchor off the Sister Islands and tender in?

Any other secret secluded beaches frequented only by boaties?
Twisticles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 04:35   #54

You can go with your tender to the Sisters. Hantu used to be promoted on a par with the others, even for diving, but it is too close to the refineries for my taste.
Old 14-05-2013, 07:50   #55

Hi Twisticles,
Have you tried the NE part of Pulau Ubin? You can also try P.Ketam which is a small rock west of Ubin.
cheers
Psyiche
Psyiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 20:38   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisticles View Post
Is it possible to anchor off the Sister Islands and tender in?
some observations, FWIW -

- yes, you can tender in to the bays at sisters or hantu
- please remember the tide movement is substantial & the bay dries up completely at low tide
- the waters around hantu are quite calm (especially the north side), but i don't think you can safely drop anchor around sisters - currents are quite strong
- as with any island in singapore, you cannot tie up alongside a jetty - go figure !!!

of course, you could always take her up to phuket for the season ... the best cruising grounds around ... well worth the trip ...

cheers
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 22:12   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
some observations, FWIW -

- as with any island in singapore, you cannot tie up alongside a jetty - go figure !!!

cheers
I was led to believe you can go alongside to embark/disembark, but not remain berthed.

Also, what kind of scope are people using when anchoring at St Johns? Does it get busy enough to worry about swing room?
Old 16-06-2013, 22:56   #58

Quote:
I was led to believe you can go alongside to embark/disembark, but not remain berthed.

Also, what kind of scope are people using when anchoring at St Johns? Does it get busy enough to worry about swing room?
I use as much scope as always, only in St John's I have had to pick up my anchor and go further away as most of those who anchor there are clueless about swinging room. Actually I should say about anchoring period. They go and anchor sometimes less than a couple of boat lengths from where you are and they don't get the point that your anchor might be where they just dropped there. Be aware that there are objects at the bottom that will foul up your anchor. I think I posted something on this thread not too long ago.

If you go and spend the night there you will find that there are few people that do it so at about 11pm you will be left in relative peace. The generator in Lazarus will remind you that you are not alone.
Old 17-06-2013, 00:23   #59

Quote:
technically i guess, but the ica boats at sisters will shoo u away ...

Quote:
on a good day u may have 30 boats in the bay ... the lack of common sense is so evident that one can only back up away from the crowd ... for your own safety ...

and it encompasses everything from giving swing room to speeding between anchorages ... there's a (serious) accident waiting to happen there ...

the other option is to go to the other side - between st. johns and lazarus ... fewer boats there generally ...
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 01:46   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
t

the other option is to go to the other side - between st. johns and lazarus ... fewer boats there generally ...
That little beach next to the link between islands?

Also, what about Kusu?

And assuming there is no live firing, any decent beach spots around Sudong/Pawai/Senang?

Tags
Singapore