Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2012, 14:25   #1

Sailing Around the World

Hi All,

The name is Christian, I'm 29 and from Denmark.

Being passionate about sailing from a very young age i am very happy to have been introduced to this forum. i look forward to share my experince, ask for advice and recieve guidance on the journey i am about to take.

I have been living and working in Thailand the past 5 years and have at the same time owned a boat in Denmark. This was my worst invesmtenet ever made. Finding a solution to bring the boat to Thailand was not cheap, so in the end i made the deicsion to sail it from Denmark to Thailand. (at least this is the ruote to begin with)

i am one of the many who have always dreamed about sailing around the world and earlier this year i took that decision to make the dream a reality... i quit my job, took my personal belongings and moved them into a storage room and started the preperation.

First thing first i realized that my current sailboat was not eqipped for the voyage so i sold it and have now bought a new Jeanneau 57' perfectly fitted for the trip ahead.

i will be doing the whole trip by myself, but plan to have a crew of 3-4 people with me at all times. The crew will be established/found through sailing clubs and forums such as these. (More on that later in a seperate post under crew wanted)

The trip will roughly be as following. Denmark - Mediterranean - Carribien - (USA east coast, The Great lakes) - Panama - USA west coast - Hawaii - Fiji, Tonga, Samoa - NZ, Australia, -(Maldives) - Thailand

The trip is estimated to take between 3-5 years with depature from Copenhagen the 1st of October 2012. it will be a pleasure trip in an enjoyable pace with focus on safe cruising at sea while having a good time when docked

I come with sailing experience mostly from the Danish Navy and small cruises in and around Denmark, Croatia and Thailand

I look forward to share my experinces, recieve guidance and establish good relationship with many of you from this forum

Good winds
Christian / Drilith
Drilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 15:53   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Sailing Around the World

Welcome,I here those boats like yours fall apart after a few weeks service..I dont think you can sail a boat like that to Thailand,against the law!how much Rum will you be taken and how many cigars?...fairwinds and far places...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 16:05   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I need you to give guidance and share the experience of how you could buy a 57 footer at age 29.

I need a little help in that department.
Old 13-08-2012, 16:49   #4

Boat: Alberg 30

I agree with Therapy :-)
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 16:58   #5

Boat: Com-pac 25

CD,
welcome to the forum. I myself just joined only a couple of days back. I'm based in the US, but will be retiring in the Philippines when I make it to age 55 next year. Depending on how your schedule works, I may be open to crew some portion of your trip with you. Do keep me posted as your dream becomes reality.

I've been mulling over between buying a boat in the US West Coast and sailing her through Hawaii, Guam, then end in the Philippines. Not quite as daring as your plans. Another option I considered was buying a boat in Thailand, Philippines, Hong Kong or Lankawi where many used boats abound. And the final option was to build or restore a boat in the Philippines since exploring SE Asia alone could take a lifetime.

Plan to keep in touch.

zUrchin (George)
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 13:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Welcome,I here those boats like yours fall apart after a few weeks service..I dont think you can sail a boat like that to Thailand,against the law!how much Rum will you be taken and how many cigars?...fairwinds and far places...DVC
Hi tropicalescape

i have been sailing a Jeanneau 42DS the last 5 years with very positive experince so when it came to upgrading to a new ship i prefered a ship which i knew very well and have experience with. The Jeanneau brand have not leed me down yet, but i will make sure to let you know should my new ship fall apart

out of curiosity what law are you thinking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I need you to give guidance and share the experience of how you could buy a 57 footer at age 29.

I need a little help in that department.
Hi Therapy

That would be a family secret

but i will be glad to elaborate a bit more over a glass of rum one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by zUrchin1011884
CD,
welcome to the forum. I myself just joined only a couple of days back. I'm based in the US, but will be retiring in the Philippines when I make it to age 55 next year. Depending on how your schedule works, I may be open to crew some portion of your trip with you. Do keep me posted as your dream becomes reality.

I've been mulling over between buying a boat in the US West Coast and sailing her through Hawaii, Guam, then end in the Philippines. Not quite as daring as your plans. Another option I considered was buying a boat in Thailand, Philippines, Hong Kong or Lankawi where many used boats abound. And the final option was to build or restore a boat in the Philippines since exploring SE Asia alone could take a lifetime.

Plan to keep in touch.

zUrchin (George)
Hi Goerge,

it sounds great with your plans, langkawi is a good place to buy boats and to registrer them, thats where i would start

Feel free to follow me and let et me know should the oppertuntiy to join be possible, i will however first be in the pacific ocean in 3-4 years time i would think.

Best
Drilith/Christian
Drilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 13:56   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilith View Post

Hi Therapy

That would be a family secret

but i will be glad to elaborate a bit more over a glass of rum one day

Cheers anyway.

One never knows whom one might meet one day.

Best of luck.
Old 21-09-2012, 17:19   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to see your planned destinations. I'd opt for going to Hawaii before touring the U. S. West Coast. Easier sailing from Hawaii north than up the coast of U. S. West Coast. Go to Hawaii then sail north to Alaska and then down the West Coast and over to the South Pacific. I'll see you when you get here to Hawaii.
kind regards,
Old 21-09-2012, 18:50   #9

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Living the dream.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing