Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 16:06   #16

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
Floppel, thanks for the compliment about my Coronado, but to be honest, this is just our training boat. I bought cheap, $2500 Canadian which is what? 12 to $15 American? LOL
Seriously, I did not want to put a lot of money into something that my wife did not want to do. Stupid me, she is fanatical about sailing.
The Coronado is nice and cheap, but it only has 5' 6" headroom while I am 6' 3" and do not get me started on the engine well!!!!! Stay away from engine wells, they are just a waste of space and ease of access to the mighty outboard.
Don't get me wrong, I do love the beast and resent every moment not spent on her, but we will be getting a much larger boat within a year.
You are doing great but be forewarned about working on it in the marina, you should get about 5 minutes work done for every hour spent on it as people just stop by and chat, crack open some brews and chat some more. Just the other week an old fellow of 73 asked if I wanted to sail on his boat for a bit, 5 hours later I got back and realized that I left all my power tools out on the deck and finger pier. Such is the life I covet.
I look forward to reading more of your upcoming life change....good luck....Allan
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:15   #17

Here's a Coronado 27 that seems to be in good shape, for $2,500: RE: 1971 Coronado Sail Boat - $2500 (emeryville)
Don't know if someone picked it up yet...
I heard mixed opinions about Coronados. The interior layout is weird, and as you mention the engine well is less than ideal, but the bulkhead is enclosed in fiberglass, and it's a really solid construction, except for the deck...?
Floppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:26   #18

Boat: Far From Turtle: 1980 Pearson 424 cutter rigged ketch
yo Floppel
err on side of caution for a while. boats are a hole in the water into which you pour all your money

take a chill pill, look at your finances. word of advice: the yachtworld.com ads are really the weekly lie sheet. the boat never looks as good as it does in the ad, it's usually a pig in a poke, it has numerous flaws and has lots of expensive maintenance required.

a little money spent up front to join a sailing club is probably your best bet. make friends every time you go to the dock. volunteer to do work on someone else's boat.

hang in there.
First Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:27   #19

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Floppel,
liked the coronado, looked like a good starter boat to me. The longer you look the better, don't worry too much about missing that great deal another one will be right around the corner. If you believe in destiny, and I do, your boat will find you
Enjoy the hunt!
Cheers,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:53   #20

I guess you're right, there's no rush. Aren't boats usually cheaper at the end of the season?

I'll do Basic Cruising, and just saw that the instructor I had Basic Keelboat I with is looking for crew on his 40ft Northstar ketch. I think I'll email him, have to ask some questions anyways, because he did exactly what I'm planning to do: He quit corporate America, lives on his boat and does things he really wants to do as a freelance photographer and sailing instructor. Admirable.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:25   #21

Boat: Beneteau 35
Whats the rush to buy a boat? Walk the docks and get on crew lists for Wed beer can racing or regattas - Latitude 38 magazine is a resource

Latitude 38 - The West's Leading Sailing and Marine Magazine

My first boat - Island Packet 27 got me into the Island Packet family that led to a delivery of a IP 40 from San Francisco to San Diego

Racing has got me on big boats and a some great deliveries: a Frer 68 from Zihuatanejo Mx to San Diego and a Oyster 68 from Quebec to New Jersey
bene343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:36   #22

here's some pics
Old 10-06-2009, 13:57   #23

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Wow, great pictures.
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 20:46   #24

top left - "Neptunes Car" Santa Cruz 70, I do mast/foredeck
top right - "Atalanta" the 'tiltin hilton doing Van Isle 360 2007
bottom - "Viking IV" Oyster 68 Hull #1 going around Nova Scotia last fall

none of these would be starter boats - LOL
Old 10-06-2009, 20:53   #25

favorite pic

At anchor in Banderas Bay, Mexico

SV Volcano - Frer 65
Old 11-06-2009, 09:46   #26

Beautiful pictures!

I can't stop browsing the boat classifieds...
30' Lancer (1976), $4,500: 30' Sailboat - New bottom

But... He completely painted a month ago and is now selling it for this cheap? I think it's been for sale quite a while now. 30' might be a bit more than I could chew at the moment though.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:02   #27

I'd avoid that Lancer. Stick with the better known and proven names: Catalina, O'Day, Ericson, Islander, Hunter, etc.

On edit... actually, my comment re. Lancer was based on a recollection that it was a name that did not go very far. I really don't know anything much about the quality, etc.....

But that's a LOT of boat for $4,500 so I would certainly check it out if it seems to meet your needs. But a survey would certainly be in order if you get serious about it. And pre-survey, get a hold of Don Casey's "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" to help you do your own survey.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:13   #28

Which docking area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppel View Post
Hi!

"They are at an anchorage which is notorious as a place to park older boats
Comments, suggestions?"

Thanks!
I'm in the Bay Area. Which docking area are you referring to ? There are probably more than a few which fit that description!
BigDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 13:34   #29
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Have experience with aquarius 23' which is smaller version of Balboa by coastal reacreation. On the plus side love the skiff keel centerboard idea. Plenty of lead and very shallow draft. The negatives are Iron centerboard rusted away, boat was cored with particle board and decks became soft. Winch to raise keel was unsafe and broke bones on two prior owners. Rudder was broken twice before replaced with kick up design.
Steve
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 13:49   #30

@speedoo: I think the Lancer is a C&C design, it seems like a lot of people like the clever interior layout with the settee in front instead of the usual V-berth. I'm not quite ready to buy yet, just looking at ads to get a feel for prices and what a good deal would look like. From the owner's description, it sounds like it's in perfect shape, so why does he only ask $4,500 for it?

@BigDreams: The boats are anchored at Clipper Cove, Treasure Island. There's an article in the current Latitude that two sailboats sunk there within one week and authorities are now thinking about requiring permits for long-term anchorage.

@forsailbyowner: Thanks for the info! I've been sceptical of any designs that include integral moving parts, and it sounds like indeed one should stick with fixed keels, especially when considering boats 30+ years old.