Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2007, 10:15   #1

pcs to a puzzle that works?

howdy all!

terrydean from san diego checkn in........

puzzle1 - puzzle1 didnt work so well......domestica....marriage.....(no kids).....time for a change in the pcs?

puzzle2 - .....being with (relatively, its all relative and perspective no?) no "baggage", other than the usual 43yrold white male, divorced, lived a "full" first quarter-life....overall freespirited, tidy'in up some history to have a "clean" 2nd quarter......you know.......im handy (fine finish carpenter actually for 20+yrs), built motor yachts in the 80s, now doing the corporate shuffle for a taste of something different....but probably not the last job i have

....the boy has this idea.....live on a boat.......long pause......."ok"....

so....how would one go about doing this? other than purchasing a boat and moving my three pairs of jeans, teeshirts and tools onboard.....been to a few brokers, some shows....like the sparkle of the Bs, the Js....Hunters and the like....37+......trying to keep payments down.....streamline my existance....but what are the REAL costs in living onboard? fees? payments? insurance? maintence? hassles? i willl need to be creative in making a living.....really dont want to haul my tools back and forth on the boat.......are people living this way in the islands?....that being working on others boats to make payments and keeps salt in the galley?

im looking to make a move in 3-5 yrs....would really like to hear from adventurous, freespirits (or not) that are making it work for them....and how they are doing it.......thanks for chattin it up!

terrydean!!
terrydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 10:25   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Terrydean,
Welcome aboard!! First check the price and availability of liveaboard slips or moorings in the area you want to settle. Go aboard as many boats as you can talk your way aboard and imagine yourself living there. If you want to sail then choose a used 32-36 foot LOD fiberglass cutter with aft cockpit and diesel power plant. If you just want to liveaboard then pick a boat that looks like an apartment.
Here on this island (the size of the State of Connecticut) there are no liveaboards allowed. So living aboard and making a living here is not allowed.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 10:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
Aloha Terrydean, Welcome aboard!!
hola! thanks!!

Quote:
First check the price and availability of liveaboard slips or moorings in the area you want to settle.
settle?!?! already!?!?! ack!!!

like where you are.....here in SD live aboards are getting next to impossible to find.....although i have spent a good deal of my life in SD, i look at as a "port" in my life.....ultimate goal is going "feral" in various parts of the world....anywhere the water is warm and the sun shines from directly overhead all yr long.

Quote:
If you want to sail then choose a used 32-36 foot LOD fiberglass cutter with aft cockpit and diesel power plant.

whats LOD?....and aft cockpit? hummmm.....i have been more attracted to CPs.....in a live aboard what would be the pro/cons?.....also just found cats attractive....although i dont know how well they are for class A sailing......

Quote:
If you just want to liveaboard then pick a boat that looks like an apartment.

yes....i do visualize myslef standing (im 6'5"), livin on each boat i board...cooking, showering, relaxing, reading, thinking, loving....

Quote:
Here on this island (the size of the State of Connecticut) there are no liveaboards allowed.

was reading in a local paper an artical written about the local BAH-zillionaire (copley) and his new 33M yaaah-ACK!.....you know the registaring in the marshall islands, out of american waters for a year to avoid duties/taxes.....port entry fees.....you know....all that rich tax stuff......get a big enough sailer (40+), call it a business, lease it out to to a charter company for 3 months a year......and i can "make money"....or at least pay for itself......donno......came across a handout a recent boat show that itemized the bennies of chartering with "XYZ" company 3 months and yr as opposed to outright owning.......the "numbers" looked good....any thoughts on that?

Quote:
So living aboard and making a living here is not allowed.

yes....i can see where in more "developed/cosmo" waters this would be the case.....however im really not interesed in that.....other than checking in for a spell to taste some "city life"....then "disappear" again.....ultimately im looking to find a better quality of life, that to me meaning less consumption, competition for space....all that.....wanting to Keep it Simple as the saying goes......i (re) discovered it a few years ago and REALLY embraced it.......

thanks jL!

td!
Old 26-01-2007, 13:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
ultimately im looking to find a better quality of life, that to me meaning less consumption, competition for space....all that.....wanting to Keep it Simple as the saying goes
Probably easier if you do all that first then start looking for a boat. Clear head and solid idea and all that sort of detail stuff. Living on a boat won't make any of what you want to happen. What you are into and want is not some thing any of us would be against at all. Sounds good to me. We all like boaing just fine living aboard or not living aboard there isn't one way to do this. We all do it about everyway different you can imagine because it is what works for each of us. The key requirement is it has to work.

Writing in complete sentences might be a good place to start.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 15:45   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
... Writing in complete sentences might be a good place to start.
As a speed-reader, I find illiterate (unconventional) spelling, punctuation, grammar, & syntax to be nearly incomprehensible; and the message content generally not worth the time it takes (me) to decipher it.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 21:10   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
Writing in complete sentences might be a good place to start.

ummmm......ok.....well.....is this a requirement to post on the forum?

td
Old 26-01-2007, 21:34   #7

Boat: now floating easy37
no but its a bit complex to read otherwise
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2007, 21:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
no but its a bit complex to read otherwise
sean

are you pblais?

td!
Old 26-01-2007, 23:09   #9

eh....read thu the rules/regs.....nothing stating proper grammar and spelling are required in order to post/be a member of the forum(s). next.

Quote:
Clear head and solid idea and all that sort of detail stuff.
me? clear head?....hardly....just look at my grammar/spelling.

Quote:
Living on a boat won't make any of what you want to happen.

no....but it will work well with the mindset in progress.

Quote:
We all like boaing just fine living aboard or not living aboard there isn't one way to do this.

actually im not a hardcore boater......just looking for a different lifestyle that i have been living up till now...want to travel live and see the world from a different perspective than in the past....yes, i could do it on land....but i have that tshirt and mug......goal of taking up taking up residence outside the usa.....as im only restricted by my imagination.....gramer and speling (of course)
Old 27-01-2007, 00:51   #10

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Mate,
it aint a requirement but trying to read your posts is painfull.
I am sure you will get much more out of this forum typing complete sentences instead of the dribble you are writing. What you are asking is interesting and a good topic to get some opinions on.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 00:57   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
fI yuo cna raed tihs, yuo aer qluiafeid to be a CF mbmeer! Aoccdring to rscheearch tihs phaonmneal silanig lfie sltye cna dstriot the Bairn. Azanmig huh!............................_/(
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 01:12   #12

Boat: Lotus 10.6
clear as a chocolate milkshake.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 08:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
fI yuo cna raed tihs, yuo aer qluiafeid to be a CF mbmeer! Aoccdring to rscheearch tihs phaonmneal silanig lfie sltye cna dstriot the Bairn. Azanmig huh!............................_/(

now were talkin!!! illliterates unite!

thanks for the introductions.

td!
Old 27-01-2007, 11:08   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydean
...illliterates unite!
td!
I thought the rallying cry was illiterates untie !!!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2007, 17:00   #15
Kai Nui

Gord, that is the dislexic's credo
td, I have read you posts. I am not really sure where to start, as they really are all over the place. You say you have sailed before. You say (At least I think you are saying) you want to take off and cruise, but work along the way. Reasonable plan. If I understand your post, you basically have nothing to loose. So, start with the boat. From your past sailing experience, what has worked for you and what has not? Forget about what boat is the most like an apartment. Concentrate on the sailing characteristics. WHen you narrow those down, check some ads to find boats that will fit your price range and meet the needs you have set down so far. Then check out some of the threads here about choosing a boat. They will give some insight into why a Hunter 35 might, or might not be a better boat for you than a Pacific Seacraft.
I hope that answers some of your questions, but I really am not sure.