Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2010, 08:33   #1

Our Only Sailing Experience is Watching 'Captain Ron'

In approx 6 years we will become a cruising couple. Right now, we have no clue. But we do know that we want the experience, not the high-end toys...well, maybe some toys but they don't have to be flashy. I am a tree-hugger and my husband is a geek of the highest level (and a great mechanic/electrician). I would love an older boat, sweat equity is not a problem for either of us, but we are aware that we have ALOT to learn and some things should be left up to the experts (ie Marine Survey). Right now we are in the research phase and have reached these conclusions:

35-40 ft boat (no more than $50k, also dependent on retrofit costs)
wind and solar capable (we can retrofit)
water maker (we can retrofit)
I can sew so interior fabrics are not an issue
We want to live aboard (Approx $1500 mo)
We have three cats who will be coming with us

Any advice is welcome and we can't wait to join you all out on the ocean. We were very happy to find this forum and benefit from all the experience

Sherry and Danny
F.N Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 08:46   #2

Boat: Lagoon 37
welcome Sherry and Danny, and sorry for spreading the affliction of sailing And remember "If it's gonna happen it is gonna happen out there"
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 09:29   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
welcojme ... might want to try sailing with others on board their boats for a bit then figure out what kind of boat you want to buy, by sailing opb, you get to see whqat is out there, you get to hear their complaints about it, and you get to sail. learning to sail is important. what if you dont like the lifestyle--but ye dont find out until; after you sell the farm and dog and buy a small cave for sailing wide oceans.
if sweat equity isnt a problem, look at garden design ketches--they are large, decks are flat, and there is room aboard for cats. i have a large one on mine. the garden design ketches i like best are the hardin sea wolf, ct 41, formosa sea tiger...mine is a yankee clipper. these are much maligned and much overlooked heavy displacement cruisers. many need work, and many have sailed, and will sail, oceans with comfort. they are an older design. westsail is a good one--there are 43 and 42 ft westsails--43 is a rarer boat, as fewer were built, and folks dont sell easily..there are many older boats which are worthy. do sail other peoples boats and try chartering, any way to get sea time and learn. take courses in boater safety and handling.....power squadron offers these.
there are many kinds of boats and many kinds of sailing. have fun and smoooth sailing....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 09:34   #4

Thank You

We are counting down the minutes until we can leave the stupid people behind and throw the alarm clock overboard. The day can't come too soon when we buy our first and last boat

~Sherry
Old 15-08-2010, 09:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.N Firefly View Post
We are counting down the minutes until we can leave the stupid people behind and throw the alarm clock overboard. The day can't come too soon when we buy our first and last boat

~Sherry
you might wanna keep the alarm clock just in case the gps system goes down so you have a basis for celestial nav......but ye dont has to look at it!!!!!
i threw my wrist watch overboard--actually sold them with my cars as they sold off--i had many--and now i only have the ship's clock....
Old 15-08-2010, 09:41   #6

Re Zeehag

We have a friend who has sailed for years (and is an exacting taskmaster) who has offered his time and knowledge to learn us properly. A safety course is a definite as well.

Thank you for the advice, adding the garden ketchs to our research list

~Sherry
Old 15-08-2010, 09:44   #7

out of curiosity, why six years? children? retirement? thoughtful budgeting?
Old 15-08-2010, 09:47   #8

My wife and I completed ASA's basic keelboat certification last weekend, awesome expierence. For August in FL the weather was perfect, learned on Cumberland Sound. We hope to continue through at least the bareboat course, from there who knows?
PanzerOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 09:47   #9

Retirement

In 6 years I will be retired from the USAF.

~Sherry
Old 15-08-2010, 09:53   #10

Remember -- its the journey, not the destination! Looking for a boat can be a helluva lot of fun! You should read Herb Payson's "Blown Away" for an amusing account of searching for a boat.
Old 15-08-2010, 10:15   #11

Re Susan

Adding to list, thank you.

Is there a good way to find older boats that may need TLC?

Ketch rescue groups??

~Sherry
Old 15-08-2010, 10:24   #12

Boat: O'Day28 Dawg House
Try this: SailboatOwners.com - Home

We're new to sailing too and find this site helpfull for just getting refitting.

Gary & Vickie
Gary & Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 10:50   #13

if you are able to walk docks --there is a formosa 51 in kemah, tx--was in cpt ron--lol is the one with the green masts---check out leaky teaky yacht club in yahoo groups. we have many members and someone has one for sale.
find a friend on a boat and ask for some info on boats for sale cheap--look at the military yacht clubs and marinas--yes, they exist and have many boats--like fiddlers cove in sin diego--there were 3 of the monsters for sale there--1 went for 3k--was in bad shape, but is a good example of the kind of boat--had a mishap with another moored boat and breakaway troubles--another sold for 5k, and one went for 20k--i had my eyes on that one--was 42 when i looked at it....they are there--start in the military marinas and yacht clubs and work outward...these have bullet proof hulls...the topsides are easily repaired if needed--and are good heavy displacement cruisers when done right.
westsail 42 and 43 are still over 50k even in bad shape.
the difference--the garden ketch before 1980 has fiberglass over wood decks if the decking of teakwood has been removed. after 1980 the decks are frp. westsail has frp decks when built. deck repairs on the older ones is much easier then the frp deck ones.
look into leaky teaky yacht club on yahoo groups. lots of good info. also in facebook.
included in taiwanese boats are hans christian, union polaris, baba, panda, tayana,the garden designed hardin, ct , and formosa, and hudson and force 50, and some others.
Old 15-08-2010, 11:00   #14

Sherry,

My wife and I are in a similiar situation as you. I am limited on my sailing knowlege, haven't had much opportunity to sail. I have my ASA basic keel boat certification. My wife will soon be getting hers. I need more sailing lessons; they are so expensive. I have been studying as much as possible on older cruising sailboats and what to look for, but just as in hands on sailing, I am a beginner. Some boats that stood out for me in my research were the Albergs, Cape Dorys, Westsails,and Pearsons just to name a few. These boats seem to get great reviews. I have made a contract on a 1975 Pearson 35 and presently having it surveyed. Sea trials next week. I just dove in. If the survey deems the boat buyable, this will be the start of our boating experience. I am making a punch list of problems and estimates of costs to fix the boat. If I deem it unbuyable, then I will walk away with a slightly lighter wallet and take a longer look, then consider my next move. There is a book called "Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take you Anywhere" by Gregg Nestor that might be helpful. Another source that might be useful are the reviews on line by Jack Hornor of BoatUS.com. I am sure the exprienced sailors in this forum will be excellent help to get both of us started.
currahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2010, 11:07   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
So what's wrong with Capt Ron? He was my mentor.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote