Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 05:33   #1

Oriental NC Liveaboard

Hi, my name is Cathy and I live aboard my Hans Christian 33 with my black & white cat Lambeau here in Oriental, NC. I grew up in Green Bay, so am a die-hard Packers fan as well as an owner - hence the name Lambeau for my cat
I have been living aboard full-time since 2004. 5 winters were spent aboard in Rochester, NY before moving to Oriental in October 2009, a much more civilized environment. I had visited Oriental in 2003 and fell in love with the town and the people, and decided this was where I wanted to move. Things finally came together in 2009, with a job lined up and a slip under lease with an option to buy. The boat was trucked (sorry I couldn't take the time to sail her down, and I needed it for a moving van), bottom was redone, and I've been in the water here since Thanksgiving 2009. Working at a boat canvas and sail loft, so not doing a lot of cruising at this point.

Found the forum when my refrigeration decided to die on me, and I was looking for reviews and comments on different systems. The mechanic is recommending a Sea Frost to replace my probably 1986 Adler Barbour unit. Decided to join the forums to see what I could learn and what I could contribute.
Free Spirit HC33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:43   #2

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
Re: Oriental NC Liveaboard

Can't offer any suggestions on refrigeration but welcome aboard. I am sure you will get a lot of good suggestions here. Jim
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:00   #3

Welcome Cathy from another liveaboard out of Oriental thou we have only spent a few days there in the last 2 years its still listed on our transem as our home port.
Oriental is a great place for being a sailor, the people are great even if they are out numbered by the boats 3 to 1 ).
Mario G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:07   #4

Hi, Cathy, nice canvas on your HC. Rita T is across the creek, if you remember us. Welcome aboard. Can't help with refrigeration, ours just limps along. I know Deaton's likes Sea Frost and has installed lots. The keel cooled one, Frig-o-Boat, draws a lot less power, but since you are at the dock, Sea Frost is probably fine.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:22   #5

Hannah, not sure if we ever met but I do remember your boat. I made your bimini and your enclosure panels! Hopefully you'll be very happy with them when you return to Oriental.

I had Asa Gatlin (worked for Deatons for many years) over to the boat, and he's recommending the Sea Frost over the current Adler Barbours. Read about Frigoboat (I think Practical Sailor did a review several years ago comparing it to AB and SF), and sounded intruiging but have decided to go with the Sea Frost. Talked to a couple who have 2 installed on their boat, one for freezer and one for fridge, and although water cooled where mine will be air cooled, they're very happy with them. Not sure I'll be lucky enough to have anything last 25 years or more ...
Old 12-08-2012, 07:39   #6

Hi Cathy,

I may have met you this past spring when I was down in Oriental looking for slips and possible haul out yards for bringing our boat into NC. Were you in the yard at Sailcraft Services across form Deaton's having blisters repaired? If so how did that work out? Was it the interprotect 2000 that was used? I was impressed by Josh who does the gelkote peel with that electric hand peeler. However, I decided to keep the boat on the Cheaspeake bringing it futher south from the Annapolis area. It's on the hard now ready for a peel depending on the price.

I installed the Sea Frost air cooled unit about 6 years ago replacing the AB unit. I'm very happy with the unit and Cleave who owns Sea Frost( I think he's still there?) was very helpful with information. I'm an engineer and looked at many different systems and thought that Sea Frost made the most sense.

Best regards,
Dee S/V J Lizzy Tayana 37
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:42   #7

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Hello from Wisconsin cathy-seems like you've gotten a good way to live aboard, which is my dream. Welcome!
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:13   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Welcome Cathy, Maybe we'll see you when we pass through Oriental in early October or so while we are headed back to Florida. We also love the town, but last year I accidentally stepped on one of the dragon eggs and my hope is that no one will remember me! We are pleased with our Technautics, but I think any of the air cooled 12V units with the Danfloss compressers will suit you well and not be a pig with your house bank draw.
Old 12-08-2012, 15:48   #9

Dee, that wouldn't have been me in Sailcraft since I went through all the barrier coating and bottom painting in October / November 2009. But I'm across that same creek at WCYOA. I did 6 coats of the Interprotect, 3 white and 3 grey, and then 2 coats of Petit hard bottom paint. Did all that work myself while in the yard at Triton (less $ than either boatyard / month but you did have to then pay to be trucked to either yard to launch). But could live aboard while doing the work, and it was quiet with good bathroom / shower.

CaptForce - if you do pass through Oriental and want to look me up, send a follow up email and i'll pass along phone # etc. Haven't seen any deformed dragons around town, so don't think your stepping on an egg did any harm. Dragons are pretty tough!

SeaHag - where in WI are you from? where's your boat?
Old 12-08-2012, 16:05   #10

Cathy, right now I live outside of Madison, but I formerly lived in green bay too, and still have vacation property in north woods. My boat is in my driveway but at this time all I have is a small racer; I get out often on friends cruisers though so I can get my fix . I have noticed a fair number of good deals on 30-40 ft cruisers in oriental for sale. I'm just not quite ready to pull the trigger on a boat purchase but still actively looking at them. Pack looks good for this year, what do you think?
Old 12-08-2012, 16:17   #11

Boat: Seaward 22

Welcome aboard Cathy. I'm in NC near Charlotte, and sail on Lake Norman.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 03:25   #12

Seahag, I have many fond memories of Madison from my college years. Hard to see much of the Packers down here. It has been nice with NBC streaming the Sunday night games but looks like there's only a few of them this year. I've gotten very good at ignoring whatever game is on and watching the ticker. This year I finally got a smartphone, so can get mobile updates. I hope they have a good year. Haven't heard my dad complaining about them too much yet, so they must not look too bad
Old 13-08-2012, 07:30   #13

Cathy, I went to uw-madison too, and liked it so much I stayed here; Madison is great but unfortunately a long way from the oceans. Several years ago I was partof ateam organizing the restoration of a great old lighthouse in north Carolina not too far north of your area.
Where have you sailed mostly?
-Scott
Old 13-08-2012, 07:47   #14

Hey Scott and Cathy...I'm another UW madison graduate. Went to graduate school there in nuclear engineering and lived off campus in Middleton, Wis.

Another question about the blister repair Cathy. Did you have the gelkote peeled by an electric hand peeler or did you just drill out the individual blisters? I have too many to drill out and plan on a peel if I can get the yard to do it at a reasonable price. All other work, I'll do myself.

Dee
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2012, 08:17   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Welocome to the forum. Glad you found us.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard