Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2013, 18:57   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Officially Cruising Boat Owners

Well, the money has been transferred, titles have been transferred, USCG documentation in process, insurance processed, and we have the keys.

We are officially owners of a 1987 Cabo Rico 38!

First matter of business was checking out all the do-dads left by the previous owners, check out the engine and batteries, make sure the impeller was still in one piece, and then just sit back in the cockpit with a water (man was it hot and humid today!) and enjoy the view of the creek on the chesapeake its currently on.

1st order of business for refit - get the old head hoses replaced! Man they are stinky!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 19:01   #2

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~
Re: Officially Cruising Boat Owners

Congratulations zboss! Cabos are beautiful boats. I have a friend who has a 34 and it is the talk of the marina. Oh yes, I know all about those stinky hoses. My hubby just changed ours. It has made a big difference.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 19:32   #3
Marine Service Provider

Congrats on the purchase! Which one did you buy?
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 19:33   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

ZBoss, Con Grats! It's the best day you might ever have LOL Ive never believed that old story about the day ya sell em being as good!! It's always been a bad day for me when I sell a boat! always hate to see em go!! We hope you enjoy your days aboard as much as we have !! and have many of them !! And ya sure have a sweet boat to enjoy !!
Old 17-07-2013, 20:34   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Great boat. If I ever sold my HR, it would be for a CR 38...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 20:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLCatsailor View Post
Congrats on the purchase! Which one did you buy?
Miss Maggie!

Thank you all for your kind words! For lack of a less wimpy term - we are a bit overwhelmed. We know what all the bits and pieces on the boat is but we are far from understanding how they all work in reality.

Reading books and taking classes only takes you so far. Eventually, you are the one that has to take the head apart, fix the enginem or whatever.
Old 18-07-2013, 03:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Well, the money has been transferred, titles have been transferred, USCG documentation in process, insurance processed, and we have the keys.

We are officially owners of a 1987 Cabo Rico 38!
Mazzel tov!

Quote:
1st order of business for refit - get the old head hoses replaced! Man they are stinky!
Did the surveyor not give you a list of to do things?!... As for the funky smells in the boat, I highly recommend this book.
Navatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 22:24   #8

The surveyor did give us a list of items. However, I don't feel that my surveyor lived up to his reputation. I won't go into this here but I believe that I have a lower tolerance for quality than he applied to the survey.

With that said, the head is pretty smelly. Top four things after that are the standing rigging, repainting the bottom, updating the through-hulls, and fixing/updating the fridge.
Old 20-07-2013, 13:50   #9

Quote:
The surveyor did give us a list of items. However, I don't feel that my surveyor lived up to his reputation. I won't go into this here but I believe that I have a lower tolerance for quality than he applied to the survey.

With that said, the head is pretty smelly. Top four things after that are the standing rigging, repainting the bottom, updating the through-hulls, and fixing/updating the fridge.
And that's EXACTLY why I asked... You should attach priorities to things... IMHO your list should look like this:
  1. Updating the through-hulls because that's a safety issue.
  2. Repainting the bottom would be next because if you have to replace an underwater through hull you'll need a hauling out anyway and that means you might as well redo the bottom.
  3. Standing rigging because this too might be a safety issue.
  4. Fixing head issues.
  5. Fixing/updating the fridge.
Navatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 05:17   #10

Boat: Boatless
Welcome aboard, Z !!
fishin4bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 05:29   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

another Z with a clipper bow cruiser..lol..good choice....
cabo rico are good boats--you will enjoy her.
happy sails.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 11:30   #12

Well, we got our first lessons on sailing our boat this weekend when we brought it from the private dock it was on, down to the haul out location. Lets say it was "interesting". In our favor... it couldn't have been better weather... cool breezes, sunny skies, wind going in the right direction, etc.

On the other hand, we found out that both our cats projectile vomit like Bill the Cat on a mescaline trip, and we both had a wake up call on how the heck we were going to store the necessary (now unnecessary) crap we were planning on bringing along. Oh, and we provided the daily marina entertainment by taking the boat down the wrong fairway, and then having to learn how to back up a full keel boat that is 44 feet long with sprit and davits, with the wind to our backsides, in a fairway 55-60 feet wide.

No, we did not hit anything

Luckily, we called ahead and let the marina know what newbs we were with the vessel and they sent two very professionals to help spring us into place! My wife and I now have a new code word - "Herrington Harbor!" which means "oh crap" and then "use the spring line trick"

However, the majority of the trip was simply awesome. The 1st night we stayed in a fairly secluded bay surrounded only by a few other vessels. Anchored right the first time, bruce anchor held tight all night in the mud (glad we have a washdown for the chain), and we slept pretty well. 2nd night, just around the corner into a busier bay and nailed the anchoring again. Third day was a long motor upwind (vomit time) for 6 hours, had the little parking issue, then managed to get all the sails off and flaked no problem (mast is getting pulled tomorrow). It amazing what you learn about your boat just doing that.

Best yet, my wife and I had not a single episode of yelling or marital distress! Maybe there is hope for us yet!
Old 29-07-2013, 14:44   #13

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

It is so exciting to hear about someone else starting out. We still have to sell property before buying but I am encouraged by your progress. Hurray for you guys!
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 17:24   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Congratulations on your purchase. They are great boats.

Tags
cruising