Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 00:24   #1

Newbie In Town

Hello All,
I'm new to this forum, new to the Bay area, and somewhat new (a little over 1 yr) to the idea of living aboard a boat. I hope to gain as much insight as possible from the boating and liveaboard community because ideally I would like to some day own and live aboard my own vessel
For the past year, my boyfriend and I have considered adopting this lifestyle and now, living in Oakland, we are in a much better position to explore our interest of living aboard more seriously. We are suckers for roaming around the docks in our spare time, and have hung around the Berkeley and Emeryville marinas, as well as some of the SF docks. We try to chat up people whenever possible, but these liveaboard types seem elusive! Anyhow, my main asking point is this: Does any one have any advice about liveaboard rental or lease opportunities in the Bay area? We would very much love to give the lifestyle a go before sinking a considerable sum into a boat.... Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
boatdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Newbie In Town

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, boatdreams.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:41   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome....

If you have been roaming the docks you must have seen the free mags... Very helpful... Latitude 38 - The West's Leading Sailing and Marine Magazine We have a few others like The Log Newspaper | California Boating & Fishing News

Not from the bay area, but tons here are... You can do a members search with cities for keywords...

Some marginal help???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:06   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:08   #5

Boat: Lord Nelson 41' Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailtexas
Welcome to CF!

Dan
s/v Orion
Sailtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 19:06   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. Sometimes the liveaboards are elusive because they really aren't supposed to be living aboard in their marina.
It is a wonderful lifestyle and all you need to do now is pick your boat. Not really because there are lots of other monetary considerations, i. e. insurance, slip/mooring fees, availability of liveaboard slips, etc.. If you want a sailboat then the first thing I'd do would be take a sailing lesson just to get you off on the right foot.
kind regards,
Old 16-04-2013, 22:19   #7

Thanks SkiprJohn A sailboat owner advised us today to perhaps exclude mentioning that we planned on living aboard when inquiring about slip availability at marinas... we're not quite sure what to do with that advice. It seems pretty sage, but we certainly wouldn't want to get a slip only to be booted because we are living on our boat full time.
We spent the weekend at the Strictly Sail Pacific boat show at Jack London in Oakland and had a blast. We signed up for sailing lessons while at the show and we're pretty excited about it! Even though we plan on spending at least a year living on a motor yacht, the seminars at this weekend's show really inspired us to want to learn more about sailing.
boatdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 00:01   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Yes...SkprJohn is correct. There are a few sneak-aboards around that don't like to advertise it. I am a liveaboard cruiser in Alameda. Straight across from you. The live aboard lifestyle is quickly eroding away with cost of insurance for marinas and otherwise homeless people calling themselves "boat enthusiasts". Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote