Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 08:23   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: New Social Group for Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
Note, double post. I first posted in response to i2f's concern about my having only one engine at 'meets & greets', then thought that it might be better posted here.

Today I passed a shop in Mandaue in Cebu which advertized Kubota diesels. I had just finished reviewing all the pages on the multihull forum and a poster there said: "As for cost, look for Kubota tractor engines. They bolt directly to marine transmissions (I'm not sure about sail drives), are reliable and are found in every country on the planet. Also, rebuilt engines are very common and are 1/3 the cost of the marine equivalent. Which means that after adding the bits that are needed for your boat, they come in at 1/2 the cost of a marine diesel." Unfortunately, they did not mention what marine transmissions were direct bolt-ons. Do you have any idea how to find this out? I suspect that asking at the shop is going to produce blank looks.
Don't know which one you have but most saildrives come as a package. You might try contacting these guys Boat sail-drive propulsion system - - ZF Marine
They should have a saildrive that attaches to most anything.
Old 08-07-2011, 00:17   #17

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

"Don't know which one you have but most saildrives come as a package. You might try contacting these guys Boat sail-drive propulsion system - - ZF Marine
They should have a saildrive that attaches to most anything" - Sorry I was unclear. I don't have a saildrive and suspect that they probably can't be purchased in the Philippines. I currently have a 22 hp Volvo marine diesel in my port hull - it already has a transmission (comes off the forward part of the engine and then the shaft goes back under the engine). I was considering adding another engine in the starboard hull per i2f's suggestion and thought that the combination of a Kubota and a 'marine' transmission might be doable here. It would help if I knew what 'marine transmissions' would mate to small Kubota diesels (30 hp or less). Then one could try to find such a transmission. It is nearly impossible to find anything here unless you know someone who knows someone who might have it. General questions are often met with either a blank stare or an assertion that they can get the item - but you may end up with any vaguely similar part. Welcome to the third world.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:19   #18
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Why not duplicate what you have already? I would think Nigel could help with aquiring, and installing it. I think it's a good choice & safer to research into adding a second engine. BEST WISHES

Mike,

We may end up in Hawaii at the same time. We plan on entering in Hilo, and then moving onto Honolulu. Mel has retired Navy family there. We will see what happens after that?.........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:36   #19

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

"Why not duplicate what you have already? I would think Nigel could help with aquiring, and installing it. I think it's a good choice & safer to research into adding a second engine." - First, I don't think that Nigel believes that I need another engine - but I can ask. Second, the engine is one that Nigel rebuilt so I am not sure if there is another. Third, a lot of the posts I have read on the CF have indicated that Volvo parts are hard to find and very expensive - so I would like to convert both engines in a few years when i need another. I think of this whole catamaran thing as an experience builder - I want to get in cheaply and learn what I need to know, and then upgrade when I have more funding and some experience. At 66, I simply don't have the years to learn everything first. I have never owned a diesel engine before - only gasoline engines in cars, so it is entirely possible that I may hose the engine out of ignorance and need one sooner rather than later. Nigel has the manual and I expect to read it when I get down there to stay.

When I talked to Nigel a few days ago he has a used electric scooter that he thinks could be fitted to the other hull and provide short term maneuvering if necessary. This also sounds like an interesting idea and I have looked at electric propulsion in boats some years ago. I will learn more when I go back down at the end of the month. Good suggestion though.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 06:03   #20
Eternal Member

Oh I understand the tight money part. If you are going to go the way of an electric scooter engine. I would rather place an outboard on the boat for the second engine.

I have owned my own boats for 20 years. Still today I am learning, and will until my last breath. My thoughts typed are meant in a contructive way. I had no internet when I started, and no mentor. So I learned everything the hardway for quite a long time. The internet is a fabulous tool for picking brains to resolve problems.

Nigel probably feels you don't need one, because he has the experience. Problem is he can't transfer that knowledge immediatley to your brain.......i2f
Old 08-07-2011, 09:34   #21

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Mike,

We may end up in Hawaii at the same time. We plan on entering in Hilo, and then moving onto Honolulu. Mel has retired Navy family there. We will see what happens after that?.........i2f
I figure we'll clear in at Honolulu, or somewhere on Oahu, as Jeanne's niece & her husband are based there & want us to stay with them. Then again, after sailing all that way, Hilo "seems" much closer, so, who knows? If you don't arrive well ahead of us, someone forgot to haul the anchor, in Panama! Geez, just the thought of going makes me crave pizza & cold beer. I wonder how I'll feel by the end of week 2?
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 17:27   #22
Eternal Member

The chances look good at meeting up........i2f
Old 08-07-2011, 20:58   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I just joined the group and hope to help.

As a resident cruiser, I love the Philippines and can attest to the great cruising grounds and friendly people.

But I am a realist when it comes to living in any 3rd world country, where corruption is rampant and widespread poverty can make the best people go bad.

My caution to this site is to share only general info about places to go, but to keep specific schedules, plans or needs private.

PM details only to trusted sources…. avoid politicizing or generalizing your experiences and be aware that $23,809 in assets makes you a millionaire!

Since most newbies assume Filipinos are westernized, take the time to read the small paperback: Amazon.com: Culture Shock! Philippines: A Survival Guide to Customs and Etiquette (9780761456711): Alfredo Roces, Grace Roces: Books
Once you understand the cultural reluctance and sensitivity to give bad news or say “No” you can manage you affairs easier. And at the same time, develop a better sense of humor!

I have learned a lot from Filipinos about patience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beach Tie DSC_0067.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	29446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tablas Grotto.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	29447  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 21:05   #24

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I just joined the group and hope to help.

Once you understand the cultural reluctance and sensitivity to give bad news or say “No” ...
Filipino drivers are on the opposite spectrum of Italian drivers (reference fender-benders, etc.)

Watch out! Some drivers in the Philippines drive without headlights at night to "save" their batteries. I assume the same practice crosses over to boats.
Old 08-07-2011, 22:00   #25

The Philippines has changed significantly in the past 10 years. They have made progress with leaps and bounds! But they do still hold onto their superstitions and cultural formats.

Most everyone carries a cell phone but mostly for texting and the main goal for employment seems to be in the IT or entertainment worlds. And they seem to be getting a handle on some of the political corruption.

I still wouldn't eat from a street vendor but they have adapted some of the Western business ideas and have built some large malls, which are safe to eat at. They've started their own food and drug type of system to keep the public healthy in these modern facilities.

The jeepnee's are being fazed out to more of the busses and trains survices and taxi's are fairly common and safe.
Old 08-07-2011, 22:03   #26

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Most everyone carries a cell phone but mostly for texting and the main goal for employment seems to be in the IT or entertainment worlds. And they seem to be getting a handle on some of the political corruption.
At a movie theatre, half of the attendees will be texting during the movie.
Old 08-07-2011, 22:31   #27

One thing one really needs to know is that once you marry a Filipina you are marrying the whole family. So, one should get to know the family before making that move (in response to the ads at the top of the page).
Old 09-07-2011, 05:29   #28
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
One thing one really needs to know is that once you marry a Filipina you are marrying the whole family. So, one should get to know the family before making that move (in response to the ads at the top of the page).
This is so very true. Thank goodness I married into a family that ask for nothing. They are all hard working, and have that entrepreneur spirit.

I do uunderstand that I am looked upon as a very rich American. I also understand that makes me a target. I do believe growing up in the ghetto, and going to the college of hard knocks gives me an edge. It also keeps me from being naive.

At least the corruption is kind of in the open. Everyone knows it exist. Not much different than the USA, only we try to pretend it doesn't.......i2f
Old 09-07-2011, 07:34   #29

Boat: looking

Much sage advice, from those who know!
If there is a mistake to be made in The Philippines, I'll make it. After 20 years of marriage, I still have issues with the differences between my wife's culture & my own. Still, life is what you want it to be, so I just try not to make the same mistakes too often. I've found that using my wife as a cultural buffer helps. I don't ever see myself as a "Mindanao Bob", but my favourite times in Davao have been with my Filipino friends, usually bar-hopping or partying at a beach or cemetary.

If anyone wants to put up more boat-related photos on the site, please do, I just threw up a bunch of photos to fill the space, but would rather see photos of boats in the RP. Bluntly, I don't want to run the site, just be a member. I'm looking forward to sailing the Philippines & hope that Pelagic & others can recommend areas that they have knowledge of. I know the Gulf of Davao & area up to Maitum pretty well, but that's it!
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
This is so very true. Thank goodness I married into a family that ask for nothing. They are all hard working, and have that entrepreneur spirit.

I do uunderstand that I am looked upon as a very rich American. I also understand that makes me a target. I do believe growing up in the ghetto, and going to the college of hard knocks gives me an edge. It also keeps me from being naive.

At least the corruption is kind of in the open. Everyone knows it exist. Not much different than the USA, only we try to pretend it doesn't.......i2f
My wife too comes from a well respected family in her original community and most are doing fairly well for PI. I do pitch in for funerals, medical emergencies and education but other then that I get little to no requests for funds. But forgiveness and helping family is the Filipino way.

Bringing gifts from abroad is a common practice but that seems to have tapered off with the China market and the airlines creating so many restrictions now.

As for sailing I plan to be migrating North and South in the Visayas and over to Palawan depending on the weather/season. The boat is near completion and I'm looking forward to getting there.

Tags
Philippines