Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 10:06   #31

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Re: New Social Group for Philippines

My wife's uncle is (was, recently passed) a respected boat builder in Gensan. As a "wedding gift" he sold me a 36' bangka very cheaply which was set up as a water taxi. It has a 16hp kubota which makes that boat fly! I modified it a little by adding an enclosed bamboo wheelhouse that will sleep 4 and a dive tank station/fishing platform in the stern. It looks very nice and we have certainly gotten our moneys worth out it. When I am not there, my bro-in-law hires him self and the boat to kanos for day trips in and around Bislig Bay.

Our maiden voyage was a memorable one. My wife cant swim of course so JuhnJuhn and I left Gensan and went clockwise around Mindanao to Bislig (the long way) without any charts. The trip alone to Zambo took 10 days and by the time we got there we were both wore out completely. We took on 2 more cousins as crew there and made it to CDO in another 14 days. We dropped the 2 crew off there and JJ and I made it to Surigao City in yet another 18 days. Surigao is where I was from at the time so we spent a week there resting up and by this time I was in serious trouble with my bride! We left there, in a monsoon, and made it to Bislig in 3 days! No more lollygagging and stopping at every village saying gutom nako!

Since then we have made the Bislig to Davao and Bislig to Surigao City by bangka numerous times. Each little fishing village we ever visited treated us like royalty and if we stay the night there will be a mini fiesta for the visitors.

On the family financing thing, I simply put them all to work. My wife opened a boutique which does very well and all of the needy females help out there and at home. I bought a 32 hectare coconut/mango/durian farm which employs 2 of the 3 brothers. Before I did this it seemed that every child in the family was getting dengue once a month! The disease has mysteriously disappeared from the whole clan now. The 3rd brother is an attorney who married an attorney and they practice in Cebu so I dont have to worry about them.

I am looking forward to arriving there by sail and then exploring all of the gorgeous islands I see when flying to Manila.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 13:06   #32

Boat: looking

Jim,
Good chance that I met your wife's uncle when we had our fishing business & I had a fab shop in Maitum. Our first banka was 80 feet w/Isuzu surplus diesel and made a great sight-seeing/camping boat before it became a fishboat. I used to rip around the Davao Gulf with it & we used the foredeck to sleep on, even slept in the unused fish tanks when it rained! No charts, nav lights, & the steering column/wheel from some kind of car or truck(surplus). When she was first launched the rudder was too small & she wouldn't go to stbd, so we'd turn 270deg to port to adjust our course!

With the compressor on board you must get the odd job from Chris D. at Cambridge Farms. When are you sailing over?

Mike
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 14:07   #33

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
I hope to sail April '13 when my current contract is up. From that point in time it will be at least a year before I make it to Bislig.

I do fly there though once every 3 months for 2 weeks and oddly I have become immune to jet lag. I do however never like leaving.

Aristotle Subaan. You might know him as Juhn Suba-an. Strictly built tuna boats.
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 23:44   #34
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Ok Bankaboat

I will start….maybe it is easier if we just post with a little blurb and a map of the area along with the photos

Halsey Harbor on SW side of Culion Island

Many choices of remote anchorages in Fijord like conditions when you want to get out of the wind.

Because fuel is hard to get, you see and hear locals merrily paddling their boats down the channels, singing away to their hearts content.

Wild prawns were either traded or bought on board at about $6/ killo …live mud-crabs half that price

Terrific tender excursions up the channels to quiet backwaters where you can trade with the friendly fishermen at even cheaper prices

On the west side of Alava Island, diving can be exciting with Tiger sharks showing up quite often.

Historically, this Bay was the alternate choice for the US Navy to make a Base, before they decided on Subic Bay.

When I was still in Puerto Galera and a director of the yacht club, I managed this small “Cruiser News” Publication, (you see in the Photo)

It had many great articles from local cruisers about destinations and contacts.

Unfortunately, after I left, they tried to make it commercial and it lost its volunteer cruising content.

The archive publications are still there and PGYC is a wealth of local knowledge if you stop and mingle with the resident expats sailors

Puerto Galera Yacht Club Best Sailing The Philippines Equator Asia
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Culion Island.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	29483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Halsey Prawns DSC_0033.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	335.2 KB
ID:	29484  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fresh Prawns halsey DSC_0032.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	29485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crabby DSC_0074.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	29486  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 00:29   #35

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

A couple of years ago I spent a month at Puerto Galera looking at a 35' catamaran that was for sale. I had Nigel Roberts survey it but the deal ultimately fell through - I offered the asking price of $33,500, the owner then wanted $37,000. Later I he offered the boat at $27,500 but by then I had started construction on my new boat (which has just been launched).

My gf's father just died and currently we are on our way back to Mactan for the funeral. I will probably be back at Tombobo Bay (southern Negros) in a couple of weeks to continue outfitting (with its s-l-o-w GPRS Smart signal). It might be good to identify any PI locations with the island and cardinal / semi-cardinal points so we will know which of many similar named cities is beig referred to. On Cebu, I know of a Lilo-an just north of Cebu City and another near Santander in the south. There seem to be many 'Basaks' and etc.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:36   #36

Sorry to learn of your for your bereavement Bruce, I sent you a PM but not related.

Cheers.
Islander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 10:49   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
"Why not duplicate what you have already? I would think Nigel could help with aquiring, and installing it. I think it's a good choice & safer to research into adding a second engine." - First, I don't think that Nigel believes that I need another engine - but I can ask. Second, the engine is one that Nigel rebuilt so I am not sure if there is another. Third, a lot of the posts I have read on the CF have indicated that Volvo parts are hard to find and very expensive - so I would like to convert both engines in a few years when i need another. I think of this whole catamaran thing as an experience builder - I want to get in cheaply and learn what I need to know, and then upgrade when I have more funding and some experience. At 66, I simply don't have the years to learn everything first. I have never owned a diesel engine before - only gasoline engines in cars, so it is entirely possible that I may hose the engine out of ignorance and need one sooner rather than later. Nigel has the manual and I expect to read it when I get down there to stay.

When I talked to Nigel a few days ago he has a used electric scooter that he thinks could be fitted to the other hull and provide short term maneuvering if necessary. This also sounds like an interesting idea and I have looked at electric propulsion in boats some years ago. I will learn more when I go back down at the end of the month. Good suggestion though.
On my first boat early 80's) I installed a Volvo Flygmotor Hydraulic pump, lovely piece of kit, originally aircraft gear and expensive. Reason being, the yacht had insufficient depth in the Buttocks to accommodate a direct drive from the engine but with the Flygmotor you could in theory stick the engine anywhere as long as you could run the hoses from the attached pump; there was some expected loss of power due to friction..One of the things I liked about it was that you could go directly through the gate from ahead to astern without hesitation plus there was a relief valve that would kick in to disengage the drive if one caught a line around the prop.
Old 27-09-2011, 11:08   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

I just joined your group....thanks!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 11:14   #39

Boat: Morgan 33OI-Dreamtime

Bruce626
As for trans see my post:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post723725
Good luck
Zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 11:39   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
I just joined your group....thanks!
Lebanese food, oh James (not like the husky voice in 007 Oh' James prior to a hump!)
I wish we could get it on the Isle of Wight!
Cheers M8
Old 27-09-2011, 11:50   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

I'm surprised that you can't...seems like Lebanese restaurants are everywhere...
Guess you'll have to just pay us a visit!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 16:35   #42

Boat: Com-pac 25

I will be retiring to the Philippines (my home country) from the US next year. Looking forward to more discussions and info sharing within the group. Having spent most of my youth in islands, I agree there is so much to experience and explore. My home base will likely be in the island of Negros. Will be in the market for a shallow draft seaworthy boat next year.

zUrchin
zUrchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 22:05   #43

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Welcome aboard zUrchin!

I've actually considered buying one of the motorized bangka's (trimaran). Looking at the charts I've noticed a lot of the harbors are shallow, which will be a problem with my 7' draft.

Also that would make it EZ to blend in, less chance of attracting attention.

With the news lately it seems it would be better to live on a boat.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:32   #44

Yes, there's a lot of shallow water, especially where the most beautiful white sand beaches are. Regarding blending in with a motorized banka, that's not a bad idea. As a kid, moons ago, my dad and I rented paraws which are essentially large bankas with sails (and no auxiliary motors).

To be clear though, those bankas are not trimarans. They are essentially monohulls with outriggers on each side. They can still easily tip over - once an outrigger is fully submerged.

You'll need to have a minimum of 2 drive these boats (one at the helm, another on either side of the outrigger) to ensure the boats remain balanced when sailing up wind. I would highly recommend having a local experienced boatman with you when doing this as it requires a highly nimble and fearless athlete standing on the outrigger's mid section shifting his/her weight to achieve optimum speed and balance while holding on to the rigging.

There's an annual paraw race in Iloilo, typically a big event. This year's regatta was held only last week. The local boatmen take this race very seriously. Google Iloilo paraw regatta and you should be able to learn more about it. Iloilo City is in the island of Panay in western Visayas. It has one of the oldest harbors in the country mainly used for commerce and transport.

I hope this link works:

A Perspective of the Paraw

It could be a very interesting project to build one. Many happy childhood memories for me. This was when I first fell in love with sailing.

Another local design is called a "batil." As you sail around the Philippines you may notice some large wooden full keel wide hulled sailboats. They've been used for centuries in the Philippines mainly to transport cargo and still used today. Interestingly the origins of the batil are also traced back to Iloilo. I myself am curious how much those cost as they can be easily converted to a live aboard - now that's blending in!

Fair winds and stay safe
Old 10-08-2012, 12:10   #45

Correction, the Iloilo Paraw Regatta was held Feb 12 - 19. Makes more sense since we are now in the typhoon season.

Tags
Philippines