Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2011, 10:10   #31

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter
Re: New Member from Auckland - NZ

Welcome KIWI, enjoy CF and all it has to offer. Advice is everywhere and most of it is backed by expierence. Notice I did not give any as I don't have enough yet myself. I do have a heavy almost full keel cutter and it is comfortable.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 10:58   #32

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames

Welcome aboard, I bought my first sailboat in Auckland through Busfield Marine, Roger Prout salesman 16 years ago. We remain friends to this day. I have been to NZ at least 8 times and love it. Also hike the Milford Trek, brutal but memorable. Best to you. James My name is James too.
Old 26-05-2011, 10:59   #33

Boat: Hunter 42 Passage
Send a message via Skype™ to Panamajames

Sorry its Phil
Old 31-05-2011, 00:25   #34
I14

Boat: Coral Seas 36 displacement launch

Hi James, thanks for your greeting. I've yet to hike some of the places you've been so you're ahead of me. Hope to catch up with you again on the web or the water!

Phil
I14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 00:28   #35
I14

Boat: Coral Seas 36 displacement launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutb View Post
Welcome KIWI, enjoy CF and all it has to offer. Advice is everywhere and most of it is backed by expierence. Notice I did not give any as I don't have enough yet myself. I do have a heavy almost full keel cutter and it is comfortable.
Thanks it looks like a comfortable cruiser, I hope you get out and about a fair bit. Nice cruising around Florida I bet. One day I'll get there.

Phil
I14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 08:59   #36

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I14... sorry for the tardy reply... out of wifi range and trying to catchup on things. I purchased the DeFever in Bainbridge Island out side of Seattle. We cruised up through Desolation Sound in the Pacific Northwest then down to San Diego. I've done the trip many times doing deliveries so felt very comfortable doing the passage. The DeFever was stabilized and only burned 4 GPH on the trip down with twin Cat D330's at around 1300 RPM. I would take her anywhere limited only by fuel capacity. I ran the numbers for a San Diego to Hawaii trip and while she carried 1800 gal's, I would have put a 500 gal bladder aboard for that trip.
Prior boat was a Transpac 49 CC cutter/ketch rig which we lived aboard for several years and cruised CA to Mexico and back as well as around the Sea of Cortez for a year or two. Hence my comment about a longer keel for stability in a blow.
It all depends on your cruising grounds and how far afield you intend to sail. I crewed on a Farr several years ago and found her to be quick, a little tender but a blast to sail.
Good luck on your search for the right boat... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Auckland