Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 12:27   #1

Boat: Cannadian Sailcraft, CS36T
New-ish - Australia Request . . .

Greetings.

I've been lurking for a while. I'm not much of a sailor yet, mostly just reading and dreaming for the most part. Like others I'm working on my 10yr or so plan to get outta dodge.

Anyways, my wife and I are flying into Sydney Australia in a couple of weeks for 10 days of adventure. Grandma & grandpa will have the kids. We've both taken the ASA basic keel boat class and belong to a sailing club where we sail a Capri 22 in the delta leading into the San Francisco Bay. We are interested in doing some sailing while we are on vacation. I've done a bit of Goggle work and have sent out a few emails to some of the schools and charter companies inquiring about skippered overnights or classes.

Finally my question. Anybody out there have any suggestions, advice, or recommendations? How much should we expect to pay for the two of us? We'd like to be able to go out on a 30ft plus boat and be able to help crew.

Thanks for your time.
gwcrmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 14:13   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Whitsunday islands has Sunsail and a few other charter companies.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 22:50   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome to the forum.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 23:06   #4

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Welcome to the forum. If you Google "Club Sail", they are on Pittwater just north of Sydney Harbour. I've found their weekend sailing courses just what I wanted. Not too technical but if you want to get into it, you can try the more involved courses. You have to be careful in Australia as the YA courses are not recognised internationally, if that matters to you. Club Sail do IYT courses as well which I'm led to believe are more suitable in that regard. They also charter their yachts to their students and have a couple of quite nice new Hanse 320 yachts for charter which would make for a nice intro to sailing for your wife. Just my $0.02 worth.

Greg
Old 02-11-2010, 23:19   #5

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwcrmc View Post
Greetings.

Finally my question. Anybody out there have any suggestions, advice, or recommendations? How much should we expect to pay for the two of us? We'd like to be able to go out on a 30ft plus boat and be able to help crew.

Thanks for your time.
There is the obvious places like Sydney Harbour and the Whitsundays. But the better spots are the ones the locals use to cruise. Pittwater (part of the Broken Bay-Hawkesbury river system) and Lake Maquarie (Largest salt water lake in blah blah blah- you know) .

I prefer Lake Macquarie for sailing. Plenty of busy areas as well as a few nooks to hide out in.

Scenery wise The Hawkesbury river wins, but the sailing isnt quite as good as Lake Mac.
Ausail Yacht Charters - Pittwater, Hawkesbury, Gosford, Cruise, Luxury Motor Cruisers, Yacht Charter Sydney, Private Charters, Sailing School, Sailing Sydney Harbour, Australia
Welcome to, Lake Macquarie Catamaran Charters

Church Point Charter
Bareboat yacht charter pittwater sydney australia

Cheers Oz
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:40   #6

Boat: Cannadian Sailcraft, CS36T
Excellent Info

Thank you very much for the above posts and information. I can now focus my last minute researching. Exactly the type of info I am looking for. Thanks!
gwcrmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2010, 16:46   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Its good to have you here and posting. The Bay area is a great place for sailing. If I were to make a comparison about any other place I've sailed and the Bay area I'd say that it has every conceivable weather happening all in the same day but thankfully is a bit predictable. If you can sail well there you can sail well anywhere.
kind regards,
Old 23-11-2010, 17:06   #8

Boat: Able 50
These are on Sydney Harbor.

Yacht Charter - EastSail: Sailing Sydney Harbour - Corporate sailing, Corporate regattas, Cruiser charter, Offshore course, Yacht, Yachting course, Eastcoast, Skippers course, Yachting lessons, Yatching course, Treasure Hunt Sydney Harbour, Boat hire

Simply Sailing - Yacht Charter and Sailing School, Middle Harbour, Sydney Australia

Sydney By Sail : Sydney Harbour Yachting - Sailing Charters - Sailing School - Darling Harbour

You could always front up at one of the yacht clubs on beercan days and try your chances on the crew list. MHYC is Thursday and CYCA is Monday and Wednesday. You need to be there around 4.30.

Having a case of beer under your arm works wonders.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia