Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2007, 15:22   #1

Boat: homebuilt, 17ft, fathersdream
Send a message via AIM to seancrowne
New in New York

i just signed up for an acount on this forum i have been reading for awhile. the site has helped me so much as i ws getting my first boat ready this summer, so i decide to contribute to the comunity as my goals exspand. From reading here i realize i am one of the lcky ones, my wife is as excited if not more so than i in the live aboard and travel idea. we are currently working on the purchase of our first property in attempts to increase the cruising kitty. has anyone or does anyone here support themselves with realestate and what are the pros and cons of renting out properties while cruising? secondly or even thirdly at this point as of now we only own a home built 17 foot drop keel boat. worked wonderfly this summe ri will post pictures soon, had many an adventure relearning some things and teaching my wife how to sail on it, some bruised knees as well as egos, sailing with your signifigant other is not like cooking together. we are looking for a good liveaboard boat but one that would be suitible to coastal cruise from here to south america, puerto rico, maybe island hop as far as new zealand, im sure you all understand the dream. i hav been looking at jeanues some cats (dont know much about them) and my favorites the corsair folding tris.(im also a motorcyclist ugh)would it be a practical boat? ok im done for now any help or feedback would be apreciated. hope to talk to you all on other threads!
seancrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 16:12   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sean,
Welcome aboard!!
I understand the dream. Talk to absentee landlords. I did it once but never again. If you have a manager to handle the property for you it can still be a problem.
The Corsair is a great boat for what it was designed. Not liveaboard and not cruising. In relation to many other boats they are very expensive.
There is a whole 'nother conversation about catamarans versus monohulls so tune into some of the threads here on the forum to get the scoop.
Hope you ask more questions as you get more familiar with liveaboards and cruising. There are many books in the public library. If you buy a book get "Start Sailing Right."
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 16:33   #3
cruiser

Hey Sean!

Welcome - from a former Manhattanite. (never did take the F or L trains much)

The motorcycle idea is probably not workable. It it's TOUGH to get a 200lb dinghy up on deck and then back in the water. Doing so with a motorcycle would be next to impossible. I had thought about this a lot myself.

The one real problem is while at anchor. How do you get the bike in when you are going back and forth in a dinghy?

I see one of the best guys on here already replied. He's got good advice from experience.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 16:56   #4

Boat: De Kleer Fraser 30
There's a great site for a former Corsair owner - S/V Nomadness - a sub of Nomadic Research Labs - some pretty good photgraphs of a fun vessel, but not a world cruiser.

Patrick
psteele235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 17:25   #5

great pictures on the nomadness site, beautiful boat,,,i am trying to learn some of the more practical lessons from reading not the school of hardknocks. i already own the motorcycle, and storage will be a problem. although ive seen some nice foldable mopeds! not really my thing. and thanks john i havnt seen that book yet but i got a few from borders that ive read through, my fav by hal roth. i know i have alot more reading and learning to do for now! but that speed bug gets you ,maybe investing in a onohull and taking up down hill skiing.
Old 27-11-2007, 17:59   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Sean,
Yup, know about speed. Fun doing 150 mph in my brothers old Jag (1953 model) back in the 60s. Did Stuttgart to Bremerhaven at 100+ mph on the Autobahn back in the 70s. Very intense driving. Had motorcycles too. I've had lots more fun going slow on bicycles, in dinghies and on old slow sailboats though.
Hal Roth has a new book out too. Haven't read it yet.
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 19:31   #7

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Welcome Sean,
Forum is great, I don't post much, just read all I can and learn much...
Don't downplay your 17 ft boat, especially if homebuilt, small boats are
the best to get experience on and will be big help with larger boats to come...(except when docking single handed in a 20 knot crosswind )
Don't know about absentee landlord, it's hard enough when your around.
Maybe a partner that you trust??
If your departure is down the road a way, you may be well served not buying ("THE BOAT") now but buying A boat that won't depreciate much
and you can do some local cruising (long island, ct. new england, jersey)
weekends, vacations etc. Get a feel for what you like and don't like in a boat that will eventually really take you cruising. Also making sure that you will still have a 1st mate that will actually talk to you when cast off the lines.
I sail out of western long island sound...come spring...come sailing... always looking for crew.
good luck
Hugo
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 20:27   #8

Hello everyone! I have been reading this site for about a year now and I am impressed with the quality of the chats. I hope to meet some of you in time. My wife and I are thinking of sailing down to West Palm beach and over to Bahamas. Any suggestions on scuba sites and places to stop and visit?
Rob
Rob Froese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2007, 12:00   #9

thanks for the invite hugosalt,
i may take you up on that. i have my boat down in forked river new jersey, been sailing it around the bay there back and forth from barneget light and island beach state park. i definitly apreciate the learning that can be done on it. i have yet to explore the surrounding new york area. I've been talking to some relatives about the idea of real estate and managment help the last few weeks. lets see how that plays out.

Tags
new york