Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2023, 08:37   #1

new guy, looking for advise

Hello all. Just introducing myself, I'm MARK, I have had the acct on here for a good while, but have just viewed from afar...I am now getting a lifelong dream coming full circle to "live aboard" fulltime year around on a sailboat. And not sitting in a marina somewhere, LOL, I intend to have sails up, and underway at least 60% of the year....going "somewhere". I have sailed for short times (6-10 days) and been on every kind of boat made, served in the US NAVY and find no more fullfiling place on earth than the ocean. So with that being said I am going to be buying a 38-40 ft "ketch", full keel, keel stepped, 1979 or earlier boat. (I am firm on a hand laid "heavy" older boat) I am one of those ppl that believe in bringing a TANK to a knife fight ha ha. at any rate I would like to just "chat" with some folks that have been OUT already for some experienced advise and maybe some pointers. I am liquidating Everything, and committing to adventure. "tired of the mundane work, sleep, work life!!" anyone willing to talk a little with me would be greatly appreciated...MARK. also I have done my homework, and studied this for like 2-half years now, had a 25.5 Hunter to just play on for a while, so, not just walking off the end of the plank here just have never "skippered" a SAILBOAT full time and single handed as I will be by myself.
survivor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 10:29   #2

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35
Re: new guy, looking for advise

Hey Mark,
I have a 1979 Ta Shing Baba 35 cutter. (39’ LOA). Although I’m short experience crossing oceans we have lived aboard and done a fair bit of ‘local cruising’ in the pudget sound. Years of adventures and misadventures around here.

Where are you located?
Old 16-06-2023, 10:34   #3

Hi Mark, welcome. That sounds like a fun adventure, wish you the best!
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2023, 10:36   #4

Hi Orin, currently located in GA, however I have a buddy in Destin fl. with a private dock and will be keeping the boat I end up with there temporarily, as I intend to "outfit" the major necessaries there before I head to a more permanent place to drop the hook.
Old 16-06-2023, 10:39   #5

Thanks, new to this forum here, fair winds & following seas to ya!
Old 16-06-2023, 10:47   #6

I have intentions to hang out in the gulf of Mexico for a couple yrs. as I have a brother in Tampa, my buddy in Destin, and then of course there ids the Bahamas right there, so get a few "nautical" miles under my belt, and I do then at some point want to do an Atlantic crossing....so I am looking to try and find a suitable boat now for that time later. all my buddies here laugh at me saying I'm crazy ha ha. save a couple of friends that have actually been OUT and understand.
Old 16-06-2023, 10:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor25 View Post
I have intentions to hang out in the gulf of Mexico for a couple yrs. as I have a brother in Tampa, my buddy in Destin, and then of course there ids the Bahamas right there, so get a few "nautical" miles under my belt, and I do then at some point want to do an Atlantic crossing....so I am looking to try and find a suitable boat now for that time later. all my buddies here laugh at me saying I'm crazy ha ha. save a couple of friends that have actually been OUT and understand.
Not crazy. What's your experience with boat ownership?
Old 16-06-2023, 11:00   #8

Just a 25.5 Hunter, that I just played on a little nothing more than a weekend at a time just for fun, and my buddy skippered the boat and I managed the beer ha ha. really do not have any first hand experience single handing a boat, however I have been diligently studding for the last yr and half so....hence I am here looking to communicate with some more knowledgeable "sailors"
Old 16-06-2023, 11:08   #9

I think the most of my concern is can you(without being totally lost with sailing in general) get a boat, go out, and somewhat "teach yourself", like with reading and such while on the hook, and then set off sails up. or, do you HAVE to have someone physically go with you first??
Old 16-06-2023, 11:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor25 View Post
I think the most of my concern is can you(without being totally lost with sailing in general) get a boat, go out, and somewhat "teach yourself", like with reading and such while on the hook, and then set off sails up. or, do you HAVE to have someone physically go with you first??
My opinion is yes, but with a fair amount of mistakes. The # of mistakes and $ of those mistakes IMO are smaller with a smaller boat - so the advice is often "start with a small boat and keep it, maintain it, learn from it for a couple of years."

But it has to do with risk tolerance, as well.

Always good to go out with someone experienced, and will make the whole thing much safer for you, and parties that may be involved - like those rescuing you in the worst case scenario
Old 16-06-2023, 11:24   #11

yes I hear ya! ha ha.....(rescuing) my buddy in Destin is well versed when it comes to fishing well off shore and "motoring" back and forth to the Bahamas and such but not that proficient with a "sailboat", I was thinking hanging out in the gulf close to Destin and really not far from Tampa I could just run around and not be too far from help were I really to get into trouble, however I am quite a resourceful guy, proficient with FRP, epoxy, do my own glass work, can completely overhaul a diesel, I am good with my hands, so I am confident I can handle any minor issues that would come up. computers and new technology is my weak point, not illiterate, just not real proficient.
Old 16-06-2023, 11:28   #12

speaking of technology LOL. apparently I am doing something wrong here , this thing keeps notifying me when you send a reply and I am opening a "new" tab every time to read your reply. what am I missing?? LOL
Old 16-06-2023, 11:36   #13

Probably miss guided but, I was thinking a 35-40 ft boat WAS a small boat to try and LIVE on if not at the dock....
Old 16-06-2023, 11:53   #14

Knowing your way around a diesel is a great start.

Reading charts is a skill, but not one particularly difficult to pick up. Don't really need to know much computer skills, but learning the features of windy.com or a similar service can only help you.

Learn route planning and weather routing - windy.com offers these services too.

Regarding the tabs, I am not sure aha I just refresh the page!

35-40ft is small for some big for others. There's a significant difference between the average 35 and the average 40 foot boat. It's not a large boat in context, but isn't small. I think it's a good size range for being comfortable, especially solo. Certainly still manageable for a solo sailor.

What's your budget? From your comments it seems like you are intending on shopping for a "fixerupper?"
Old 16-06-2023, 12:17   #15

Not exactly a "fixer upper" but I do want to "outfit" a boat myself maybe, pending on what is already there. 30-40K but I have seen a FEW pretty good looking boats for 25-30K but needed work inside and maybe cosmetics outside but the hull and integrity of the design was bulletproof, that is kind of what I want. I can do "pretty" work out in the water, I am one to be busy all the time anyway, it is the work that requires haul out that I don't particularly want to do. I want to have a new water maker, and new nav system, new batts, and will outfit solar either with what is there or new either way. and of course I would prefer the hull to be ready maybe. I can do a bottom job, but why? ya know just pay up a little and get one with a fresh bottom job. the rest I can do sort of "at leasure" fairing and painting and brightwork i am happy to do day to day, out in the water....from what I am seeing I should be able to get into a decent boat for 30-40K sailable but just not real pretty. I am however quite adamant to a KETCH, solid FRP, keel stepped, and prefer over 10 ton....and yes I know I just asked for allot, ha ha but they are out there, I let 2 get by me that was in fact exactly what I wanted. the Ketches are few and far in the 30K price range