Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2007, 14:19   #1

New, and a Dogpaddler friend

Hi all,

Have spent the morning lurking on Rodney the Dogpaddlers advice and decided this is a great forum. While not a 'current sailor' I used to sail Sydney Harbour and environs in HobieCats, Flying Dutchman, Tornado, Diamonds, and various other small yachts.

Was re-introduced to the joys of yachting after re-connecting with my old school friend Rodney, and his absolutley gobsmackingly amazing ferro yacht.

Cheers,
Billydude
billydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 15:02   #2

Boat: custom 75' ferro yacht
billydude - welcome aboard old mate

Well I suppose it's up to me to show everyone just what an ugly old seadog you are - and a scurvy pirate at that

Didn't I tell you what a great forum this is - and a bloke with your wealth of knowledge on all things boats and mechanical - should feel right at home.

When are we going to see you and the parrot down here?

Rodney
yachtrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 15:29   #3

Hi Rodney,

Dropped my favourite parrot off at Mascot 5.30am this morning for her holiday/pilgramage to India. Am sending the rest of the family to Germany next week so should have plenty of uninterrupted time to visit.

Have just bought a christmas cake am bewildered by this 'yuletide' thing. Am familiar with high/low tide, ebb tide, nap tide, spring tide etc - is there something I'm missing??

Cheers,
Billydude
Old 14-12-2007, 15:38   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Billy,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here. Any friend of Rodney's is a suspect to me. Just kidding. What a great effort in Rodney's boat. If you had anything to do with it you have my respect.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2007, 02:04   #5

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Gidday Billydude.
Old 15-12-2007, 02:47   #6

Ahoy those having a piratical sabbatical,

I just realised I may have inadvertantly taken a pirate lesson - when carpentering and plumbing last week aland rather than aboard I had to choose between my first mates. Of course, I ignored the broad with the board and went for the wench with the wrench! Have been truly pinnacled, binnacled and scuppered with just a slight possibility of escaping the bilge next week!
Old 15-12-2007, 22:59   #7

Boat: Columbia 34 Mk II - Matsu
Can ya translate Ozzie to American?

Welcome to the forum, Billy! Your post was quite amusing, but I'm not sure why; I may be reading something into your prose that was not intended. Hanging out at the pub and hooking up, trying to make a choice you can live with the next morning? If ya could translate for us Americans, we would surely appreciate it!

I've been out of touch for a few days, but I wanted to say thanks again to Rodney for introducing himself to us all and inspiring me. I love my present boat, a Columbia 34 William Tripp 'bubble-top', but I know I need something bigger long term. I may not go big like Rodney (I'm 5'6"), but just knowing what one man can do... Yeah, I know you had help, but boatbuilding is - essentially - a solitary occupation, how can someone else realise your dream for you?

Geordie - Pacific Northwest/America
geordieschmalz is offline   Reply With Quote