Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2010, 22:31   #1

Marina and Marine Services in Indonesia

Hi,
We are new top this forum and would like to introduce ourselves. I own a 46 sailing cat and based in Bali. I would like to hear from any cruising folk who have passed through Indonesia in recent years and would like to comment or give feedback on facilities (or lack of) such as Marinas , support services in Indonesia.
We are planning to build a marina and marine services park in Bali with hard stand, travel liftm slipway and graving docks. Your feed back and suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Daniel
IndoAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 03:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Daniel.

It sounds as though you've rather extensive plans. By “graving dock”, do you mean a modern mechanically pumped dry dock, or a dock that dries out with the tides? In any case, best of luck!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 06:03   #3

Thanks for the welcome.
Yes we plan modern pump out graving docks.
Old 17-07-2010, 20:46   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Welcome to CF

Bali and East of Lombok are some of my favorite cruising grounds and we plan on doing it again with my Stargazer.

I think you know all the problems associated with cruising in Indonesia.. I look forward to hearing updates on some of your solutions
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 21:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndoAdvisors View Post
Hi,
We are new top this forum and would like to introduce ourselves. I own a 46 sailing cat and based in Bali. I would like to hear from any cruising folk who have passed through Indonesia in recent years and would like to comment or give feedback on facilities (or lack of) such as Marinas , support services in Indonesia.
We are planning to build a marina and marine services park in Bali with hard stand, travel liftm slipway and graving docks. Your feed back and suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Daniel
Daniel,
One presumes that you have a cast iron agreement from the present Indonesian Government in WRITING duly notarized by a recognized qualified Indonesian attorney. That you have the written approval of the Local traditional leaders. That, if you are a foreigner, your Indonesian partner/s is/are contracted by proper legal agreement.
Will you own the land? How will you be taxed ?
Do you mean a travel lift ? if so what max beam catamaran is planned?
Is the slipway separate to a travel lift ie.. on rails - able to haul out Indonesian size fishing craft?

As Bali already has a marina, why do you believe another marina is justified on this small island? Will you have provision for long stay on hard standing?
The present confusion over the Indonesian Government's bond deposit demand is a problem for cruisers - also the laborious process of obtaining a cruising permit (the CAIT)

Apologize for sounding negative - but many people have burnt their fingers investing in Indonesia.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 02:27   #6

Thanks for feedback,
I am aware of the difficulties in getting projects up and running in Indo, it is by no means "plain sailing"
The travel lift we plan is as used in taking out keel boats like Swans etc. The cats could be hauled out on cradles on slipway which would also handle indo fishing craft.
Yes, hardstand would also be a feature which would be a good solution for the many boats that spend most of their lives swinging to moorings here and folks who wish to leave their boats here in a secure location while they go back to work etc.

Still at the drawing board btage but a couple of key elements are in place.

Thanks again for feedback
Old 18-07-2010, 02:41   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Will you be based in Denpasar?
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 03:40   #8

Daniel, you are to be commended - It is always the pioneers who open up a new opportunity. Apart from Bali there are very few places one can leave a boat south of Indonesian Borneo. Malaysia is opening marinas as fast as McDonalds do in China - the latest in Kuching - Sarawak on the N.W. corner of Borneo.
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 04:13   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Yes - good luck to you. Last time we visited Denpasar on the 1990 Freo - Bali Race there was no marina at all - just a meandering route through the reef to anchor up off the Yacht Club.
Proof I guess that progress does happen albeit over 20 years!
Let us hope your plans can be actioned a bit quicker than that.
Cheers
JOHN
Old 19-07-2010, 11:57   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I wonder if it would be as hard to open a marina in Bali as it is to open one on the windward side of Hawaii Island in Hawaii? Its never been done so must be near impossible.
regards,
Old 23-07-2010, 06:05   #11

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
I am bemused by outsider's lack of understanding for Indonesia's resistance to exploitation. As an island nation it has been exploited since the dawn of time by traders and travelers and they are weary of them, they bring with them nothing but trouble, whether they be mining companies, spice traders, Jesus fanatics, Muslim fanatics, or 10,000 drug and alcohol crazed half naked Aussies bumping and grinding 24 hrs a day in discos. When the Maoists tried to take over Indonesia in the 60's, they simply killed 300,000 of them and put an end to that foolishness. We killed 1.5 million in Vietnam and lost.
If you want to experience the paradise of Indonesia, just go local. Stay in local hotels for $10 a night, wear the clothes they wear, eat the food they eat, travel on their buses and ferries, and be respectful.
Leave your million dollar sailboat parked in Bali.
You will love it.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 16:08   #12
bvh

Boat: macgregor 26 (atm)
yeah..........what he said .peace
bvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2010, 18:22   #13

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
I am bemused by outsider's lack of understanding for Indonesia's resistance to exploitation. ...... or 10,000 drug and alcohol crazed half naked Aussies bumping and grinding 24 hrs a day in discos.

If you want to experience the paradise of Indonesia, just go local. Stay in local hotels for $10 a night, wear the clothes they wear, eat the food they eat, travel on their buses and ferries, and be respectful.
Leave your million dollar sailboat parked in Bali.
You will love it.
Well, sort of...

I love the part about 10,000 half naked Aussies. I would not have said that, but since you did, ... nah.

I don't care if it is Indonessia. $10 a night is an exaggeration for anything I would find lovable. Isn't that why we act like snails and carry our houses with us?
Old 28-07-2010, 18:43   #14

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post

As Bali already has a marina, why do you believe another marina is justified on this small island? Will you have provision for long stay on hard standing?

That marina is pretty rough, making a new one of quality pretty attractive.

I think that the wary of exploitation idea does not come into play as much as the corruption factor does. While they should be wary, they are more concerned about exploiting rather than being exploited, ... IMHO
Old 30-11-2010, 22:53   #15

support for fascilities in bali

hi daniel

i would think such a venture would be successful as more and more yachts are visiting east indonesia and bali every year. the only travel lift in singapore is at raffles although more are planned. that is still far away and costly. next is phuket, again a good 10 day sail away.

so i think a good indonesian yacht facility would be busy with local demand as well as the cruising boats.

good luck, ben
bkahn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Indonesia, paracelle