Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2014, 20:49   #1

Living the Dream

Greetings all. After studying this lifestyle and making arrangements to prepare for it we have made the plunge! We purchased our fine ship in March of this year and left the dock in early September. We have enjoyed meeting some very interesting and helpful folks so far and can't wait to see what each day brings! This site has helped us in so many ways even prior to our purchase so now it is time to help others and hopefully meet some of the fine people we have been listening to!
Thank you so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ESQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 22:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Living the Dream

Congratulations and welcome to the family.
I remember when we first moved aboard and the excitement, so soak it up baby...at least until your head needs a rebuild.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 23:21   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Welcome aboard!
So tell us about your "fine ship".
We like to talk boats here and would luv to here about yours!
Have you taken'r to any place special?
Old 22-10-2014, 05:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ESQC.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 16:15   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Old 23-10-2014, 16:38   #6

Boat: Stevens 47

Ah yes, the joys of "taking the plunge"...gotta love it, this living the dream. So far this week...lol...changed out the pooched fresh water system pump...and then, the forward head pump needed a rebuild, was "pissing and puking" past the diaphragm.....yes, this IS what dreams are made of<grin>Inverter installations, climbing the 65 foot mast up to the second set of spreaders to install the babystay, but we love it!

Being busy keeps me out of "trouble" so to speak, and increases my maintenance skills and tool inventory. They now know me by my first name at West Marine here in Pensacola, I know where the best deals are in town on bags of ice, the "good" restaurants, closest gas station for the car, and aw heck, the list just goes on and on.

Are we ready to fully depart the dock...well, not quite yet! Still some systems to learn, the washing machine works really well, especially when the discharge valves are open in the proper setting, bilge cleaner cleans the bilge of urine and other escaped odors from the head pump issue. Playing ping pong with the bowsprit down the dockage fairway has us considering a bow thruster(no damage to our bowsprit, dock poles, docks, multi-million dollar boats docked here) hell yeah, this is FUN! I love it!

So much better than sitting at home, maybe still employed at the old salt mine, working 70 to 80 hours a week, fighting traffic, cold weather, muggers.....

This IS the place to be, you made the right decision, GOOD on ya!

I personally wouldn't trade it for anything.

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 07:27   #7

Thank you all for your replies, humor and encouragement !
We purchased a plate steel hull Bruce Robert design 42 ketch in Kentucky fresh water in March and moved onto her in June. As soon as we received our coast guard papers we left the dock and began a journey down the Tennessee and Tombigbee waterway. That was an adventure in itself! We learned many lessons in getting ungrounded, passing thru locks, meeting barges and speaking under bridges with inches to spare yikes!
When reached mobile bay during a severe thunderstorm and survived the ride to our anchorage we knew we could do this for sure! Almost lost the dinghy there but it held on by a thread. We then found water in the engine oil and spent time taking care of that "inconvenience "
Always looking forward to each day! Our weather has been beautiful and the folks we meet along the way are awesome! We are currently in the Pensacola area and will be pulling her out to take care of the bottom. Would love to make more friends here and get her back in the water ASAP to continue this fabulous experience

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ESQC is offline   Reply With Quote