Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2014, 21:14   #1

Living in Wa State buying sailboat in SF bay area

We are from Puget Sound area, buying our sailboat in the SF bay area, Hoping to meet new and seasoned sailors in the Bay area to sail with and learn the area. Will be moving to the bay area soon, would love to here, great places to sail in the bay area.
wedidit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 21:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Living in Wa State buying sailboat in SF bay area

Howdy and Welcome Aboard!

San Francisco Bay is one of the primo spots on the planet for sailing, so I have no doubt you will find any kind of challenge or fun you seek there. I sailed there for years and enjoyed it very much.

Since you asked about good places to sail, I will give you a link to a guide that is concise but helpful. It shows and tells with some good insights. It even has an itinerary for a day sail around the bay with tips on direction to go and places to see and things to do. I hope it gives you a good start.

http://www.latitude38.com/features/BaySailingGuide.pdf

Have fun and perhaps I will see you on the bay someday!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:21   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

Welcome! What kind of boat are you two getting? You're going to love the bay area, especially if you enjoy big wind ("it's just a gust," we say). I'm berthed at Treasure Island, but don't live on my boat. So let me know if you ever drop an anchor at Clipper Cove. It's best to come at high tide to avoid the shoaling nearest the Bay Bridge.

Carliane
s/v Kynntana
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:30   #4

Clipper Cove is great. My experience is that with a 6 foot draft you can get in over the bar at 0 tide or higher. Look carefully at the chart!!! Tuck inside at the north end.

Also have Santa get you Kimball Livingston's book Sailing The Bay.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 15:00   #5

Boat: Freedom 38

My boat draws 5.5' and I scrape bottom at a 1' tide. I'm told the shoaling has gotten worse since they finished the new Bay Bridge, but I don't really know since I've only been there a year. I also understand there used to be a lot of junk in the anchorage that could horribly snare anchors. This has been cleaned up, too. Lots of boaters regularly raft up in there these days.

Whatever you do, DO NOT go down the middle during low tide. I've seen a Cal20 get stuck there. Hug the northwest side of Treasure Island (the developed part). Stay away from Yerba Buena Island (the higher, tree-covered part) until you get most of the way into the cove. The harbor master, who's only there Wednesday-Sunday, has done soundings within the past year and can show you the map.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, sail, sailboat, sf bay